super 8

indietalk

IndieTalk Founder
Staff Member
Admin
OK all you super 8 fans .. check out the new super 8 forum ;)

Great to see Super8 get it's own forum. Thanks indie.

Zen, looks like you got a killer deal there. Very nice looking camera. Film can be expensive. Ebay is a good place to look as well. Here is someone who sells filmstock for a pretty good price. Fresh too! I'd stay away from EKTACHROME though. Kodak is going to be discontining all there EKTACHROME stock by the end of the year. Also it will cost you more money to process EKTACHROME. KODACHROME is the way to go for color film! Also Tri-X/Plus-X is the Black and White film stock. I havn't tried the new Black and White stocks that Kodak has put out this past year, but I hear they are very good. :)

Sadly none of the Kodak stocks have a sound strip. :( Which is really sad. I wish they still did. Oh well, we can always wish. :yes:

Nahh...if you shoot film keep it in film when you edit! :-P I mean sure you can transfer it to video and go about it that way. But me, I really like getting my hands on the film and cutting it together. I have a great worker tape splicer and a great Goko editor for Super8 film.

Of course some people might not want to fool around with it, and will just transfer to digital. BUT you don't get that joy of firing up the project and showing your short on a movie screen! :) That's what I love about it. ;)

Zen! Getting into super 8, cool!

HailtotheKing said:
Sadly none of the Kodak stocks have a sound strip. :( Which is really sad. I wish they still did. Oh well, we can always wish. :yes:
I don't miss that. Remember, the sound strip goes where the film goes, meaning through the bath when it's processed. Doesn't really help the sound quality, and it's not to good to begin with.

rizien said:
How do you plan on converting to digital? Costs money! :(
Many options.
Find an affordable telecine process
Keep on film and project on your super 8 projector
Use one of those transfer boxes that cost about $30, where you project onto a mirror, and you record the image with a video camera (they actually work quite well).

Zensteve said:
Just in the nick of time

Yes, indeed. I'm getting read to embark on my on Super 8 adventure shortly using this baby that I bought years and years ago and stashed in a closet until it was recently uncovered.

http://www.mondofoto.com/manuals/yashicaelectro800/

And I'm in the same boat as you Zen, I'm gonna have to hunt down a projector myself.

I previously made a couple of Super 8 shorts about 10 years ago in college. Terrible, terrible, stuff. Maybe I will post one of them in the screening room for laughs.

I also contemplating trying to shoot something with an old regular 8mm B&H I've had lying around forever, but it's such a pain to get film for it.

HailtotheKing said:
KODACHROME is the way to go for color film!

You're talking about reversal film right? I remember shooting all my college films on reversal because it was cheaper to process than negatives. Anyway, I was wondering, if I'm going to eventually telecine my film to a digitial format, is there any reason to not shoot negative?

Yes I was talking about reversal film. That's the way I would go for making shorts and stuff. I really don't see a need to shoot negative for telecine. I think it's the same process as reversal. I could be wrong though.

Darn. Sounds like I might just have to buy myself a super8 or 16mm film camera one of these days. I would love to work with film on some shorts.

Guess I'll wait till I have money - maybe purchase a camera now and wait to buy everything else :D. It's really cool to see more people delving into film! Very inspiring!

Ahab,

I have the exact same camera. I am using it as a prop but want to do a short Super 8 film in Korea in the spring when the colors are vibrant. There are some gorgeous sites in Seoul that will lend well to film!

Does anyone know a good place to have the transfer done to video?

I searched for a projector prior to coming to Korea in 2002 but it requires a good look. You have to consider replacement bulbs. I occasionally ran across them at thrift stores but either they worked with no bulb or didn't work. So I want to film on Super 8 but edit digitally. I am still going through sonnyboo Super 8 links as well as links from Kodak (between popping in here) but haven't located what I am looking for yet.

Mr Boo has a link on that page, btw, to a company that he wasn't particularly thrilled with after getting telecined results back from them.
smiley_ninja.gif

Pro8mm.com

I read about them in moviemaker magazine many moons ago. I've been to there site. Do you know if anyone else has had problems with their work? I am considering using them, but that is a good chunk of dough.

You can still buy replacement bulbs, you just have to look around. There are stores that specialize in bulbs. Projectors that use the halogen lamps in the ceramic shell will give a better picture than the light bulb ones.

Back