Sucker Punch: worst movie of the year, or just not the movie you signed up for?

I kinda figured it would not be a great movie but I figured it would be a decent B movie with little plot lots of action and hot ladies in skimpy out fits. At least that is what I figured from watching the trailer. It looks like it has decent CGI stuff too.

Is it one of those movies where you start watching and figure damn this movie is so bad that I am going to take it back to the video store and get something else? Would you walk out of the movie theater? If so how long into it would it take to decide this was a waste of your life/time?

I saw the movie w/ no expectations. I liked it. Some of the movie...meeeh it wasnt my style..but I still think it was refreshing and I give it a 7 out of 10....It is very hard for me to give a movie an 8, so a seven is still a very good flick IMO. The movie will come and go, will never be a classic and still I loved watching that sweet cute thing jump around.

Without getting involved in the debate, please allow me to say that imho, the movie was a 4/10 for whatever it is worth in this thread.

Nope, too late, now you're involved. You have no choice but to write a very lengthy description of just why you give it only 4/10.

Me? I don't do numbers; I give grades. This one gets a "D".

I haven't seen it but I should to see where I stand perhaps. I have one question from the previews that I don't get. Why is it that these girls where make up, if they are being held prisoner in a jail or asylum of some sort. Do prison girls actually do their make up and hair that nice, under the circumstances? Not like they have clothes to dress up in and go out on the town. Not that I mean to get off topic, I just found to be fake in the previews.

After seeing a decent trailer, I was surprised at how uninteresting this movie was. I could not sink my teeth into the writing (or lack of it) or any of the characters. "Soulless" is a pretty good description.

I haven't seen it but I should to see where I stand perhaps. I have one question from the previews that I don't get. Why is it that these girls where make up, if they are being held prisoner in a jail or asylum of some sort. Do prison girls actually do their make up and hair that nice, under the circumstances? Not like they have clothes to dress up in and go out on the town. Not that I mean to get off topic, I just found to be fake in the previews.

This is sarcastic right?

You found the clothes to be fake? But the robot samurais were... ok?

Couldn't care less, I loved the film. The visuals were breathtaking. And come on, really it is not the worst film of the year, that would hands down be something by Disney or Mr. Popper's Penguins, or Justin Bieber the movie.
Yes SP wasn't brilliant, but it certainly was not the worst.

This is sarcastic right?

You found the clothes to be fake? But the robot samurais were... ok?

Well as far as I know the robot samurais had a reason to be there for the plot. But did the women have real motivation for wearing make up, when they are locked up? I know it's a fantasy movie. But look at the movie Hanna. That's a fantasy, and Hanna actually looked like she'd been living in a cave. Did she have make up and all nice hair in that cave? No.

"Plot" wise the makeup makes sense. If you can really call it a "plot" haha.

It is a silly detail to pay attention to. I've shot video in a few prisons, men's and women's. Just like prisoners improvise tattoo ink, knives and cooking utensils a lot of the women improvise makeup.

But yeah, nazi zombies and dragons vs helicopters and all should have been a clue that realism wasn't that important.

I have to admit that I didn't like it. Almost as if the trailer was better than the movie itself.
However, I have to admit that some of the shots were jawdropping. They kept going on, and on, and on. And, Snyder has a way of really making it look visually fantastic. Just... Never let him write again.

I find it funny that a lot of you are saying you were disappointed with the film in spite of all the young, pretty girls, considering Snyder is criticizing people like that with Sucker Punch. Honestly, it's deeper than most people give it credit for.

That said, it's still an awful movie. It's uneven, poorly written, and worst of all, pretentious. The CGI action sequences are pretty, but not exactly thrilling, and the dramatic portions fall flat because of the writing, though mediocre performances don't help. I just don't understand how Snyder managed to get this movie made.

"Alright, so there's going to be explosions, natch, and tons of beautiful women. But I was thinking of, you know, criticizing the people who fetishize women and enjoy mindless action movies. It's post-modern!"
"You mean the exact person who shells out $15 each time to see your movies?"
"Yes."

But I was thinking of, you know, criticizing the people who fetishize women and enjoy mindless action movies. It's post-modern!"

Well, at least we agree that it's not a good movie. However, I don't see the same theme as you do. To me, it seems clearly to be about surviving sexual assault, and self-empowerment.

The strange thing to me? That someone thought this was aimed toward the same demographic that plays online games, and in two interviews we were TOLD this is for that demo.

I just got done playing Super Street Fighter IV in between my writing break, I'm about to get back on Final Fantasy 13 (which has a female heroine in a skirt, that wields a bad-ass transforming blade)... I will NEVER watch Sucker Punch again.

JUST from the trailer I could see that it hit the demo completely wrong, and there's NO understanding of myself or my friends. Sadly, I still went and sawr it opening day, and it was cool how Snyder snatched the train sequence from Final Fantasy 13... some of the visuals were great...

But this movie WAS one of the worst of the year, and I swore in the theater if I saw that chic do one more twirling flip I was going to throw my 1.50 cup of jalapenos at the screen.

Freakin awful.

And, RayW is right: the only time the movie is in reality is the VERY beginning. None of the movie has to do with reality after that, and in the end it's still fake. Absolutely NO stakes at all, or risk, to any of it.

Well, at least we agree that it's not a good movie. However, I don't see the same theme as you do. To me, it seems clearly to be about surviving sexual assault, and self-empowerment.
Snyder himself says it's sort of a commentary on audience expectation and gratification, about how they want the basic titillation that comes with seeing an attractive girl in skimpy clothing, but often have no real concern for why they act or dress in the way they do.

It’s funny because someone one asked me about why I dressed the girls like that, and I said, "Do you not get the metaphor there? The girls are in a brothel performing for men in the dark. In the fantasy sequences, the men in the dark are us. The men in the dark are basically me; dorky sci-fi kids."

My problem with the movie is that he tries to have it both ways. He both wants to chastise the audience for appeasing our base instincts but offers us the opportunity to do so on a silver platter. Thus, the whole movie comes across as a mixed up mess.

EDIT: For comparison, take Funny Games. Just exchange sexuality with violence and they have basically the same theme, but Funny Games is pretty good at making you feel revolted at what's happening, whereas Sucker Punch pulls its punches, so to speak.

I mean, I agree that there are also themes of empowerment there, but the big one to me is sexuality and fetishism.

Last edited:
Back