stupid question???

(stupid question from a complete newbie)

I'm just curious...i make music, paint, photography, etc,,that sort of stuff. SO i am not educated with the whole film making process and all the fancy things to make them.I have a friend who graduated from film school who agreed to help and use his real equipment, so this is just out of boredom and curiosity.

but is it possible to get anything decent from using your digital camera as in a canon powershot type camera ( just for example) and using its recording option to make a short abstract film ( 5-8 min tops) and edited with music and such afterward with software and what not...you know..????

just waiting for my friend to get into town and while i finish my script..if that's what you'd like to call it, its more of a music video or a video to my music, artwork, photography, weird things I think of, and some of my short poems and stories, ...I thought Id mess around with something and see if I can get anything interesting at all..

or is this just a complete waste of time??? i mean....some of the best things come from the weirdest places...

With experimental film you can do whatever you want, that's why it's called experimental. What you described would be an experimental film. Unconventional recording medium to record artwork set to music.

true. just never heard of anyone actually using that medium for such things...

and figured id see if anyone has attempted it before and if it was just stupid..

but with experimental film. you are correct, you can do what you please.

I have a friend who even though we take film classes and have access to as much equipment as we could possibly handle refuses to use anything but his canon powershot. He loves using it because it's simple and light and has tons of fun. If you are just experimenting anything would be fine and fun to use but it wouldn't hurt to use better equipment and learn new things while filming. And even if no one ever did it before doesn't make it stupid. Think about the first man to try to reach the moon. Just do what feels right to you.

cool thanks for the feedback.

yea im just experimenting to see what i can get...like said I have a friend with some good equipment that will be used.

im just curious to see the final outcome of using a camera...which is a powershot. and i would mess around with the recording feature and always wanted to do something with it.

...I thought Id mess around with something and see if I can get anything interesting at all..

or is this just a complete waste of time???

It seems to me anything you do to learn and experiment
isn't a waste of time. Even if you choose to never show
what you do to other people, you will have gained valuable
knowledge. Right?

im just curious to see the final outcome of using a camera...which is a powershot. and i would mess around with the recording feature and always wanted to do something with it.
What are you waiting for? You should shoot something
right away!

thanks guys! i thought id get a bunch of snobbish answers or something. instead i got the total opposite!
Nah, the point is to get out there and create with what you've got. You know some experimental films were made with toy cameras from the toy store. Others were made by hand painting each film frame. A Canon Powershot is in no way too unusual ;)

I believe Experimental work always helps in learning lot of new things. In case of Non Experimental work we just follow the rules of the trade but when we experiment, our work might be the most horrible one but on the other side even it is possible that we can make some thing which is outstanding and it can give a new dimension to the whole industry.
So from my point of view Experimental work is great. It helps in exploring new and unique things ! :)

James Stanley Brakhage???

yes..all is true that Ive read. Experimental is called that for a purpose.. Make what you can with whatever your brain can come up with...

Back