Starting Demo Reel

Hi Everyone,

First off, I would like to introduce myself to this forum. I was googling information on starting up a production company and read a lot of insightful suggestions from members.

I graduated from a local film school a few years ago, but due to my full-time job as an office manager I have not been doing any work on film\video production. My income is reasonable, however I have reached the stage where I want to pursue my film\video career.

I have done various gigs in the past such as PA, Camera Operator, etc. I currently have a Canon XL1 and a first edition Imac G5 I purchased back in 2006. I know lighting is important too, people don't seem to worry about that art nowadays. My goal right now is to get started with directing music videos, ads for small businesses, interviews, documentaries, short films,etc. I have knowledge in Final Cut Pro, so I can manage editing my own projects in the beginning.

Based on the equipment I have and my budget I can only afford to get either a new HD camcorder (Panasonic-HMC-150) or new Macbook Pro or Imac. I'll be working from my home preferably on the weekends & week day evenings due to my full-time job. Long term goal is to start up my own production company with my business skills.

Please leave your feedbacks\opinions.

Thanks,

Welcome,

Personally, if i had a sub-3000 dollar budget, i wouldn't go spend it all on a new fancy apple computer and keep recording standard defenition. However, spending it all on a HD prosumer camcorder and then postproducing full HD footage on a 6 year old machine doesn't seem like a excellent choice either. Personally, i'd get both a decent computer and some good camera gear, you'll need both.

I know many people swear by Apple, and sure, if you have the money its a valid option, the point is, you don't. These days you can get a very good pc (quadcore, 16 gigs of ram, lots o storage, single monitor) for about 1000$. Just configure and built it yourself, and you'll save a ton of money, and get a great machine that will last you years.

Then you'd still have about 1600$ left for a proper camera/camcorder. Many people on this forum seem to use the 800$ Panasonic GH2. I'm more into visual effects and other computer based post production so I'm absolutly not the guy you should listen to for camera advice, but i just wanted to put out there that you can have both a great computer and a very decent camera. Just look at the stuff on youtube or vimeo that was shot with a GH2, it often looks amazing, and you'd still have some money left for rigs, lenses and accessories.

Last edited:
Thanks Santhem,

I will definitely proceed with purchasing the Panasonic GH2 with the wide angle lense and accessories. I'll also look into a good PC with LOTS of RAM, CPU, etc. I've never used Premiere Pro, but it seems user friendly as per the reviews from buyers. I can also sell my old Imac & XL1 if necessary.

I can't wait to start shooting and finally building my reel. The hardest part of being a indie filmmaker is getting started. For a few years, I've been making excuses not to start filming due to the possibility of not being successful or failing.

Everyone on this forum are very helpful and have the same goal which is make the best film of your ability.

I am looking forward having my work critiqued and continuing to make improvements each time.

Best Regards,

Thanks Santhem,

I will definitely proceed with purchasing the Panasonic GH2 with the wide angle lense and accessories. I'll also look into a good PC with LOTS of RAM, CPU, etc. I've never used Premiere Pro, but it seems user friendly as per the reviews from buyers. I can also sell my old Imac & XL1 if necessary.

I can't wait to start shooting and finally building my reel. The hardest part of being a indie filmmaker is getting started. For a few years, I've been making excuses not to start filming due to the possibility of not being successful or failing.

Everyone on this forum are very helpful and have the same goal which is make the best film of your ability.

I am looking forward having my work critiqued and continuing to make improvements each time.

Best Regards,

how much do you have to spend on a pc? also are you going to be doing heavy special effects and stuff or just simple cutting and putting together? coz you dont want to buy a pc thats under or over spec, most people dont even know what a pc does or what component does what, so perhaps i could help you as im a IT technician by trade :) also id recommend the t3i over the panasonic just my preference..

how much do you have to spend on a pc? also are you going to be doing heavy special effects and stuff or just simple cutting and putting together? coz you dont want to buy a pc thats under or over spec, most people dont even know what a pc does or what component does what, so perhaps i could help you as im a IT technician by trade :) also id recommend the t3i over the panasonic just my preference..

I want to spend $1000 max on a PC fully equiped for my needs. I will be just cutting and putting clips together with minimal special effects. What specs on a PC do I require for what I will be using it for? Also, what's the best PC brand? Yea it's a toss between the GH2 & T3i right now. Lastly, my first projects will be music videos, documentaries, ads for small companies, etc.

I'm looking forward to feedbacks from you and anyone else.

Thanks,

Sony has a little camera out. Its a DSLR. Takes an adapter and then it can accept full size lenses. We shot some of our feature with it and it worked great. Used it right along side a 5D mkII, 7D and a T3i. Low light is a little bit difficult but still acceptable. Get some basic lenses then rent anything special you need. Why own a lens that only comes out of the box 1 or 2 times a year. Just my 2 cents.

Went to a local store that sold DSLR cameras. I asked for the Panasonic GH2 and they didnt sell it. He pretty much laughed in my face after I told him it's for shooting videos. He recommended the Canon 7D for under $1500 with a EF 18-200mm lens.

Is the 7D an actual better camera for my need than the GH2?

Went to a local store that sold DSLR cameras. I asked for the Panasonic GH2 and they didnt sell it. He pretty much laughed in my face after I told him it's for shooting videos. He recommended the Canon 7D for under $1500 with a EF 18-200mm lens.

Is the 7D an actual better camera for my need than the GH2?

Barely.

Remember that, just because someone works in a store that sells cameras, doesn't necessarily mean that they have any practical experience with the cameras. Just look around this forum and you'll see some amazing stuff shot on the GH2.

I wouldn't get the 7D if I were you. I don't think your budget allows it. Get a t3i or a GH2, and spend the rest of your budget on things that will make your videos look better: lenses, lights, sound equipment, etc.

Yeah, I'll stick with getting the GH2 since I've seen already seen the footage the camera can produce with the proper lighting.

So far, I have already purchased a Manfotto 055XPROB tripod for approximately $160. I read that the GH2 does not include XLR inputs, wouldn't that make audio recording much more difficult? Looking into getting the Rode NTG-1 shotgun mic and Zoom H4N audio recorder for now, but would it be able to connect to the GH2? Also, what's a reasonable priced lighting kit?

I appreciate everyone's suggestions as I purchase these equipment.

Thanks,

Sony has a little camera out. Its a DSLR. Takes an adapter and then it can accept full size lenses. We shot some of our feature with it and it worked great. Used it right along side a 5D mkII, 7D and a T3i. Low light is a little bit difficult but still acceptable. Get some basic lenses then rent anything special you need. Why own a lens that only comes out of the box 1 or 2 times a year. Just my 2 cents.

Are you talking about the NEX5n? Was looking into getting an NEX7 myself as a B cam.

Back