Star Trek Set Construction help in the UK

Hello there!
I'm currently in the process of making another Star Trek fan film, but I'm having trouble finding a space large enough to build the set in, any tips or helpful advice that anyone could give would be greatly appreciated :)
Or any information about where to look for help, or websites and the like, mainly for the UK, there are alot of areas of filmmaking that are covered in depth, but set building always seems to be skimmed over :(

The set that I wish to build is similar to this one - http://www.mustbeawesome.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/excelsior-bridge.jpg

I created a rough mockup to scale a little while ago, to figure out the dimensions and such here - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1800676131/star-trek-deception-a-fan-film/posts/1203509

My original Star Trek fan film had a set built in our reception room, which was big enough for it's purposes, but for the sequel I want to try and expand a bit more - https://youtu.be/ALGLRd5RyA4

But anyway, any help that you guys could give would be grand, cheers! :D
Leo

Sorry I know nothing about in the UK, being in the US, but I must say, well done with Deception that set was impressive and CG bits were lovely. As far as this bridge project, looks to be an excelsior class ship's bridge. Will it be late 23rd century/early 24th, or later 24th?
As far as resources I can recommend, Spacepropshop built some amazing consoles, and LCARS 47 will give you some beautiful moving LCARS for your consoles. As far as the panels themselves, I believe the way it was made was a back and transparent printout fixed to Plexiglas, then various gels like CTB were attached behind the transparent areas to give color to individual sections. I'm curious as to how you constructed yours.

Hey Dan, glad you liked Deception, I'm really proud of that project! :D
Yep, it's the excelsior bridge I plan on reconstructing, I've been grabbing references of it here in this video - https://youtu.be/hi2HO5e_oeM?t=8m10s - but mine will be slightly smaller and a few edges 'rougher' to makes things easier :)
Constructing the set itself isn't really too difficult, just takes alot of work, but I'm mainly having trouble finding a place to actually build the set :( I've been searching on places such as Gumtree and Rightmove for small warehouses or large garages, but they always seem to be more geared towards businesses or commercial things, just wondering if anybody knew of anywhere else that would be helpful? :)
I did upload various production diaries while making the film, which documents the set building a bit here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0n5wOdo024 - I'm also planning on putting up a bigger 'Making Of' in the next few days which was originally just on the DVD, it has some more set building stuff on that, plus a whole load of me talking at the camera and being generally boring :D
Cheers!
Leo

Firstly, well done on the previous VFX. Pretty d@mn good!

However, would help if you specified where you are looking in the UK. Also, any indication around budget, the length of time you need the place etc...

Cheers gorillaonabike! Spent quite a bit of time on those VFX, so it's always good to hear when people praise them :)

As for some more info -
Around the Cheshire area would be best, as I don't have a car so would have to take the train back and forth from home :D
The budget from this will be coming out of my pocket mainly, and kind souls on Kickstarter, so the cheaper the better. I've seen warehouses/workshops go for about £400 a month, and I would probably hire it out for about 6months so I can work on the construction on the weekends, but that's still heading towards about 3grand :(
The size of the set I estimated would be about 10x10 metres, so would need a place big enough to hold that, as well as bathrooms which would be handy, you know, just in case :D Obviously electricity would be pretty important too, for lights and such.
If anybody knows of anywhere suitable, please let me know and if you need anymore info too :)
Cheers!

I'm just here to say your film rocked. Really well-done! Especially the exterior ship sequences. Woah, coulda been in one of the new movies, and defs better than the old shows. :)

Hey Daniel_S, I used Adobe After Effects for the compositing stuff and 2d effects, and Autodesk Maya for the space scenes, a brief video with some behind the scenes stuff on the VFX I did can be found here - https://youtu.be/G16791XCDM4

Cheers Dreadylocks! :D Interestingly, I actually tried to mimic the shows look more than the films look, rather than looking too clean and perfect, mostly done with just adjusting the lighting and keeping the camera moves simple and smooth :)

Looks good Daniel_S! Try adding some motion blur to really sell it :D And some chromatic abberation... and some noise... in fact add anything that makes the footage look dirty and you're there! :D
While I can about the VFX all day, does anybody have any tips on building the physical sets at all here? :)

Cheers gorillaonabike! Spent quite a bit of time on those VFX, so it's always good to hear when people praise them :)

As for some more info -
Around the Cheshire area would be best, as I don't have a car so would have to take the train back and forth from home :D
The budget from this will be coming out of my pocket mainly, and kind souls on Kickstarter, so the cheaper the better. I've seen warehouses/workshops go for about £400 a month, and I would probably hire it out for about 6months so I can work on the construction on the weekends, but that's still heading towards about 3grand :(
The size of the set I estimated would be about 10x10 metres, so would need a place big enough to hold that, as well as bathrooms which would be handy, you know, just in case :D Obviously electricity would be pretty important too, for lights and such.
If anybody knows of anywhere suitable, please let me know and if you need anymore info too :)
Cheers!

Sorry man, no joy. I asked around but don't have anything remotely near Cheshire.

Back