speed of light? bah!

BREAKING NEWS: Faster-Than-Light Travel to Other Worlds!!!

I just wish they were doing a better job of it. Or, at the very least, reading what CERN is releasing (not just the parts they like).
And I wish the armchair science reading audience would complain to the editors enough to stop sensationalist headline practices, which inevitably muddle otherwise legit and fairly clear information.

I'm not holding my breath, though. :grumpy:

That makes a lot of sense, Josh. =)

I suppose we could link this sort of sensationalism to the general decline of professional journalism... having to compete with the blogoshere etc., lowering standards. No excuse, but seems to be our contemporary reality. =(

I guess a lesson that we ought to continue to be skeptical and critical when we read such articles and be mindful of their sources.

Edit: I should also apologize for putting it in the CERN people's laps without first carefully reading their statement, instead of just trying to recall what the sensationalist article said they said.

Last edited:
Don't feel bad! I mean, EVERYONE was reporting this incorrectly, even sources that are usually reliable (I read The Register, which is usually pretty good with the tech/science news reporting, albeit with a snarky slant). Even my girlfriend, who was raised by a physicist hadn't heard that CERN had two theories.

Hell, I don't even mind the sensationalism, if they would follow the attention grabbing headline with actual news. Even if the article contradicts said headline. ray, I'll expect your paper on FTL travel on my desk by 9am on Monday ;)

ray, I'll expect your paper on FTL travel on my desk by 9am on Monday ;)
Due to the benefits of quantum mechanics being redefined by This-Week's-Sci-Tech Writer I've already written it on the way to Kepler 22b and placed it on your desk (with a donut and hot coffee) in an alternate reality.

You were impressed and accepted an invitation to join me on my subsequent trip where we discussed with the Kepler 22b-ians their bio-mechanical reproduction technology.

Unfortunately your universal translator malfunctioned and insulted the Chief Head High Kepler 22b-ian Potentate's androgenous offspring and your first alternate self was vaporized by micro singularity originating in your general groin area.

But no worries. I just made a short FTL round trip and caught up with yet another alternate reality Josh and nudged you a moment before your fatal faux pas was made.

Everything's cool now.

Your subsequent ambassadorial offspring is... um... darling. Yeah.

l.jpg

Back