• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

sound effects - the other voice on the phone

I am sure this has been discussed but I don't even know how to search for it.

Its a telephone call where the camera is only focused on one subject but the voice of the other caller can be heard.
If I were filming Mary sitting down on the phone talking to Susie...but we only hear Susies voice...how would manipulate sound effects to sound like its her voice as from the reciever? If that makes sense.
I am not sure but I think there is a name for this type of scene....or is there?
I edit with Sony Vegas 10...

Thanks.

A quick method is to cut all the lows and highs, leaving just tinny midrange, and make the level lower.

I am sure this has been discussed but I don't even know how to search for it.

Its a telephone call where the camera is only focused on one subject but the voice of the other caller can be heard.
If I were filming Mary sitting down on the phone talking to Susie...but we only hear Susies voice...how would manipulate sound effects to sound like its her voice as from the reciever? If that makes sense.
I am not sure but I think there is a name for this type of scene....or is there?
I edit with Sony Vegas 10...

Thanks.

Put an EQ on the track you want to sound like a phone.

Set up a high-pass filter at 24db/octave and set it to about 300-400 Hz.

With the same EQ set up a low-pass filter at 24dB/octave and set that to around 2K to 4K.

Slap a compressor or limiter on it and squash it so there are little to no dynamics in her voice (if you want that authentic phone compression sound), and voila.

Mix it in to taste.

Thanks.

Now what is an eq and how do I put it on the track.

I would probably do the simpler form of lowering the sound BUT if I could do it the other way I would..

I was playing around in Vegas, and I tried adding in a Resonant Filter.
What worked for me was if you set the frequency around 2000-4000 and the Resonance to roughly 10%, it should give it a nice..bad..quality.

Btw I never got the compressor to do anything for me, not sure how I have to set that up.

Back