• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Sophie

the explosions in the beginning ... you should really achieve into making them look as real as possible. Hate to say, but they did look very amateurish to me

I will agree that some of it doesn't look right. I wouldn't have put in nearly as much if it were my project, but Phil did keep pushing for more and more elements. Looking at it again, the color grading seems to have broken some of the realism of a few of the VFX as well. As delivered, the colors fit in the scene naturally in every instance, after the grade, some of them pop out unnaturally.

and yes, the majority of the smoke that was added in post looks wrong. I'd have probably left that out too. I'm suspicious as to whether the speed of some of the footage has been altered from what it was that I was provided to work with and ultimately delivered. Several pieces feel as though they've also had their timing changed.

Anyway...
What specifically about them looks 'amateurish'? All of the explosion elements are made up of practical effect footage. The plane, that you really liked, was a 3D render.
So, you're saying that what is real looked bad, and what was fake looked real. I'm curious as to why.

Last edited:
What specifically about them looks 'amateurish'? All of the explosion elements are made up of practical effect footage. The plane, that you really liked, was a 3D render.

So, you're saying that what is real looked bad, and what was fake looked real. I'm curious as to why.

Yes exactly. The real stuff didn't looked like it was blend in to environment. It looks like it was just overlayed in there.

lightcameraction said:
At the begning of the film the explosions were very sharp in my opinion when there is a lot of motion blur in the shot.

This also.

Back