Sony equiv of HV20/30 ? and other Q's

K, so here's the scoop:

I'm working for an organisation that is putting together a documentary. Some of the footage will be US-based; the rest of the footage will be coming from Pakistan. The org is also springing for a few cameras.

I'd originally suggested that they buy some HV20/HV30's in the US, and ship a few to Pakistan to be used there. (Tapes get shipped back for editing in the US).

So far so good, 'til tonight when they asked for other "comparable" models by other brands. (Sony in particular - dunno why)

So, in the price-range close to HV20 or 30 (and which records to tape - not those funky HDDs or Flash drives), is there a similarly-capable camera?

Most of the ones I've looked up are either much higher in price, or record to non-tape formats.

Also:

From what I understand there is no real NTSC or PAL, using HDV, but there is still a difference in frame-rates. Is that correct?

Cheers. :beer:

NTSC records in 24, 30, or 60i usually. And PAL records in 50 and 25 fps. They should keep it all NTSC if they plan on post production and distribution in the US. The compatibility comes with the frame rate and the broadcast format.

Back