something I've always wondered about netflix

Sometimes I see independent, low budget films on netflix and I always wonder if they somehow get paid for the views, or maybe sign a flat rate deal or something. There has to be something netflix offers to these people to be able to stream their movies, right?

I know with DVDs on Netflix, they generally buy around a thousand copies at the low end. I'm not sure how they so it with streaming, other than maybe a royalty every time it gets watched. Allaboutindiefilmmaking.blogspot.com might have more info on it. One of their films is currently available streaming.

I know with DVDs on Netflix, they generally buy around a thousand copies at the low end. I'm not sure how they so it with streaming, other than maybe a royalty every time it gets watched. Allaboutindiefilmmaking.blogspot.com might have more info on it. One of their films is currently available streaming.

As someone with a movie for rent on Netflix, I can assure you it ain't around a 1,000 copies for a low budget indie film. Closer to 100 copies, depending on demand for the title. They don't even buy the discs at full retail either, they pay the discounted vendor price per disc.

With streaming, it is a flat rate no matter how many times the movie is or is not viewed. They pay $X.XX for 12 month, 18 month or 24 month time periods. Always a flat fee, no "per view" with NETFLIX.

Video On Demand with digital cable is always on the per view rate.

As someone with a movie for rent on Netflix, I can assure you it ain't around a 1,000 copies for a low budget indie film. Closer to 100 copies, depending on demand for the title. They don't even buy the discs at full retail either, they pay the discounted vendor price per disc.

With streaming, it is a flat rate no matter how many times the movie is or is not viewed. They pay $X.XX for 12 month, 18 month or 24 month time periods. Always a flat fee, no "per view" with NETFLIX.

Video On Demand with digital cable is always on the per view rate.

Good to know. I'd read somewhere (possibly on All About Indie Filmmaking) that it was around 1,000 copies of the DVD that they would order.

Good to know. I'd read somewhere (possibly on All About Indie Filmmaking) that it was around 1,000 copies of the DVD that they would order.

Define "Indie Film".... if it's one of those$1million-$4million "independent films" with big name cast, then sure 1,000 DVD's for Netflix is correct. For the truly indie, no budget, no name cast movies - look more like 100.

Define "Indie Film".... if it's one of those$1million-$4million "independent films" with big name cast, then sure 1,000 DVD's for Netflix is correct. For the truly indie, no budget, no name cast movies - look more like 100.

She does a bit of everything (ultra low budget under $150,000 up to a couple million $). The one she has on there now I think was around a $2 million budget and has some name talent (Not Since You is the name of the film, pretty good if you're into that kind of movie).

I hate the sons of bitches

Amen. I've been quietly cheering as I've heard the news stories of the troubles they've been experiencing of late.

Tilting at windmills, perhaps, but what the hell. :)

sooooo, then, nothing is better than something?

Danger, I think what sonnyboo meant was, once you go the NetFlix route you pretty much sacrifice any chance of ever recouping your production costs, much less providing a return to your investors.

My understanding is that NetFlix pays a set price for your movie - a pittance, basically - then keeps 100% of the rental fees. They could potentially make millions and pay you nothing. And what distributor is going to want to take on your film if everybody in the world has already seen it on NetFlix?

Amen. I've been quietly cheering as I've heard the news stories of the troubles they've been experiencing of late.

Tilting at windmills, perhaps, but what the hell. :)

Danger, I think what sonnyboo meant was, once you go the NetFlix route you pretty much sacrifice any chance of ever recouping your production costs, much less providing a return to your investors.

My understanding is that NetFlix pays a set price for your movie - a pittance, basically - then keeps 100% of the rental fees. They could potentially make millions and pay you nothing. And what distributor is going to want to take on your film if everybody in the world has already seen it on NetFlix?

True enough. Can you refuse netflix the rights to distribute your movie if thats a concern?

So, pretty much netflix "distribution", if you could generously call it that, should be our last resort because of its inherent bloom-off-the-rose stage has long passed?

The video is pretty much a flea market find or holding dust off the shelf at the Goodwill/Salvation Army store? Irregardless, the revenue stream has pretty much at its end?

How does the distribution food chain go?
- Major studio picks up the story pre-pro and finances both production and is or locates a distributor which provides a completely separate promotion and advertising (P&A) budget for theatrical distribution.
- Minor studio does the same.
- Indie studio does the same.
- Indie studio produces it but secures third party theatrical distribution.
- You secure third party theatrical distribution before you write/dir/ed/produce it yourself or with partners and then receive theatrical distribution, typically after the film festival circuit. (Production funds comes in before you begin)
- You write/dir/ed/produce it yourself et al, when finished or in post receive offers for theatrical distribution, typically after the film festival circuit. (Production expenses are now covered or offset).
- You write/dir/ed/produce it yourself et al and then secure third party theatrical distribution, typically after the film festival circuit.
- You write/dir/ed/produce it yourself et al and then secure third party DTV distribution, typically after the film festival circuit.
- You write/dir/ed/produce it yourself et al and then secure third party DTV distribution, failing the film festival circuit.
- You write/dir/ed/produce it yourself et al and then finance self distribution (now P&A is a part of production budget) through various means.
- You sell DTV & VOD distribution rights.
- You sell rights to Netflix/Amazon/IMDB/emerging DTV & VOD services.

Look about right?
Any resources missed?

Last edited:
Back