So what did you do? (week ending FEB 06)

Haven't seen this thread in quite some time! :eek:

But they were fun threads, and we should keep doing them.

Did you learn anything new this past week?

Did you gain some ground on a current project? Did you find a good book to read? Did a shoot get rained out? Did you get busted by the fuzz without a permit? Get accepted (or rejected) at a film-fest?

What filmmaking event (large or small) happened to you, in this past week?

Here's mine:

I offically set the date for the start of shooting for my next disasterpiece. :cool:

_______

So... how about you?

Tricks learned, tips given, concepts grasped, bragging-rights granted... you must have had something happen this past week. :)

Edit: Title says Jan, should be Feb... I am just slooooooow.

Last edited:
- Moved forward on all of my projects in development
- Got a little more written for Will
- Found a huge breakthrough visually for The Soup Party after weeks of searching. I've had to battle a lot of the errors I made in production, but I've finally got the finished product. This means very very soon it will be on DVD and out to some festivals.
- Got my first Vision2 film stock, now its about a week until I'll get my camera in the mail
- Studied a ton on cinematography/film stocks/proper exposure/etc.
- Sourced where I will have my film developed, then where I will have it HD telecined, then recorded back to film (if need be)
- Sold a B&W silent short to be shot in a month that will be my first official test of my new workflow
- Received a request by City Hall that a filmmaker in So Cal needs some static B-roll stuff from our town, so I will fill that in the spring.
- Finally finished my Mini35 Adapter! I mean, its actually to the point where I dont need new components. I did some sunset tests and man is it beautiful.
- Got almost all the parts in the mail to begin production on our camera stablizer, except the tripod thumb screw and knurled knob.

Can't wait for next week!

Steve - when do you start shooting?

I'm currently working on an animation project, my bread and butter work.

On the live action front, I'm directing a short film that's currently in rehearsal. I'm producing a short film that seems to have slowed down a little; I won't get into the reasons why just in case someone reads this.

I just got offered to produce another short film for Group101 so I'm hoping to make some time to do that.

I was trying to put together financing for my first feature project when I actually got offered to direct another project that's already financed. I just have to rewrite the script.

-Been working on a rear anamorphic design for use with 35mm lenses with aspect ratios of 2.35 and 16:9. Getting closer!
-Working out the final details on a mini35 design that uses a very high transmittance holographic diffuser (greater than 90% transmittance). So far every looks great. Just need to find a way to oscillate the thing now without changing the focus plane.
-Have been writing a couple new shorts which I plan on shooting this spring.
-Been working with a screenwriter to tighten up and finalize a screenplay which I want to shoot next year sometime.

Sidenote: Wideshot, what sort of 35mm adapter did you make?

I made new contact, and will be directing a short for him this spring.

That's it.. I didn't accomplish much of anything last week really. :(

Now, as for this coming week...

- The feature I'm acting in starts shooting on the 12th though!
- I finished my tax returns today! (getting back EVERYTHING I paid in!)
- Slowly working on writing a feature I'd like to shoot sometime around Fall of 2007,
[So I can have it done early 2008 to do some festivals before a (fingers crossed) national theatrical release around Thanksgiving/Christmas 2008.. that's the plan anyway, and I feel good about the "commercial value" of the project. :)]

I fixed the thread name for ya Zen.. ;)

Last edited:
I...

Found out I won't be getting as much back on my Tax Return as I expected, so I may be pushing the shoot date for my next directorial effort back a few months.

Made a short list of fests I want to submit Sometimes They Come Loose to.

Figured out that the hard drive from my old PC can not be transferred to my new PC without some card or other doohickey, so I will probably just buy a new drive.

I wasted 5 hours on a boring football game between two teams I can't stand and wasn't even rewarded with any good commercials.

Poke

So what did you do? (week ending FEB 06)

I was in NYC tryignt o raie money for HORRORS OF WAR... I met with investors & made a sales pitch, and also worked on an INDIE FILM for a friend

I shot a music video using the panasonic DVX100A...never used it before. I've got a question about 24p editing that I'll post in another forum, but other than that it was fun shooting the video with this camera. Now it's time to edit 5 hours of footage for a 3 minute video.

Rick

I'm new, and this seemed like a fun thread to jump in to the action with. I picked up a new microphone, got some new lights. Also got permission from Bands to use some tracks in the project I"m working on. I'm a big fan of one of the bands so it was pretty sweet to actually be in email correspondence with them. They may even make it in the film as extras if their tour brings them around me at the time of shooting. /me is happy.

heh Will Vincent got me on that one. :yes: though not much anymore, but it just sticks from the younger years.

Well, darn it. Thought I might have found a buddy EQ'er.
smiley_wizard.gif

Steve - when do you start shooting?

March 6th, with some rehearsal days earlier.

I've nabbed another IndieTalk member to be the DP, as well... as I am a menace to cinematography when I have to use the camera.

Super 8 short of doom incoming.
smiley_creepy.gif

Back