Small Hurricane

I wasn't around yesterday. Because a small hurricane hit my town.

It was...... interesting. I was arguing with a robot about how to draw a proper spaceship, and then all the phones started ringing at the same time, and the town's air raid siren began to blare in the distance. I'd never heard it before, and just kind of thought, "I had no idea our town could afford an air raid siren"

30 minutes later, a 90 mile an hour wind blew through the whole town for about 15 minutes.

Thus began 18 hours of no power and no internet across half the state. Being a night owl, I was lucky enough to enjoy a night of sitting alone in pitch blackness after my phone died.

It was an interesting experience, of getting the pov of people during wars. You're just going about your normal life, and then everything suddenly stops working. Your refrigerator, your phone, your computer. Everything. I probably would have developed a new appreciation for all the luxuries we have in life, but they turned the power back on and my feral day as an apocalypse survivor is now only a dwindling memory.

Last edited:
Oh, that's terrible that your town got destroyed yesterday Nate, we also had a storm where trees got ripped up and smashed half the houses.

Just saw this story; I should pay more attention to things other than re-reading humorous posts from, well, Spike. Anyway.

Yea last winter an ice storm knocked power out in my town, downtown for a day, across the street for a day and a half, and in my house 5 days! I have no idea why, some shoddy power-grid politics, I think. It was a real cold snap, and needed to go out and by two Big Buddy propane heaters, and eventually about 30 little green bottles of propane. But, since the disruption was super-local (i.e. my house) I could still drive to Starbucks, and then to the library for the internet.

Anyway, it does make you think how much we depend on people who are supposed to know what they are doing actually knowing what they are doing. You just have to hope that the whole grid/infrastructure isn't as fragile as it sometimes seems to be.

Anyway. Next time your air-raid siren goes off, it should alert a bunch of trained guys like this:

Last edited:
Dogs are a tornados worst enemy. In a bizarre coincidence, both a dog and a kitten have gone on record as having vanquished a tornado. Toto the dog in the Wizard of Oz was seen engaged in a conflict with one, and later on, we see that the dog survived, and the tornado is gone. Toto the Kitten also came face to face with a tornado, and emerged victorious. So I think I've determined the pattern here, if you see a tornado, you should just throw animals at it until it succumbs to their feral power.

Back