Sin City...First post in awhile

Hey all, I went and saw Robrod's Sin City tonight. It was awesome! I loved it! It got me so fired up. I'd love to write a script that could be shot in that noir style. GO SEE IT!

I can hardly wait. :D You gotta love a guy who quits the directors guild because they tried to shut down production when he named (non-guild member) Frank Miller co-director. :lol:

Boz Uriel said:
I can hardly wait. :D You gotta love a guy who quits the directors guild because they tried to shut down production when he named (non-guild member) Frank Miller co-director. :lol:

Agreed. This is probably why I'll remain an indie all my life. NOBODY stifles my creativity.:director:

I liked the style of the movie but I felt the acting was bad due to the dialogue,and the voice overs were all done in the stereotypical harsh, muted voice. It looked pretty but that was about it for me.

i agree that the male protagonists were quite homogenous (Dwight, Bruce Willis and Rourke for example) especially in their voice overs. it did look tremendous, and was exceedingly pleasing to the senses, yet perhaps not so much on the brain. but it was never meant to be that anyways.

Not that I wanted it to amaze me intellectually, but it was like someone was reading me a comic book,which was the irratating part.

That's kinda funny you mentioned it because I didn't even know it came from a comic book until after I had seen it and the credits started to roll. I just thought it was taking off on the effects from Sky Captain of Tomarrow, and had really bad dialogue. I was thinking "That movie was not half as good as I expected from the caliber of actors that were in it". And then I saw that it was co-directed by the guy who wrote the comic book series.

And let me state here that I guess I am a traditionalist when it comes to the movie making process. I believe a writer should write, a director direct, an editor edit, And a comic book writer stick to comic books.
I now notice that they were trying to keep it as close to the comic books as possible, which I think was a terrible idea. The reason a comic book is how it is is because it doen't have motion like film. So instead of transfering the story of Sin City from the comic book to the movie, they transferred all aspects of comic book to the movie. The over-stylization kinda ruined it for me.

I hope that clears up my dislikes about this movie.

Moved to Viewfinder.

I liked it a lot. I think some of the criticism of the dialogue and the look are well founded, if you're speaking of a movie that was meant to be something different. But this film is straight up pulp - hard boiled dialogue - and a love letter to Frank Miller's graphic novels. The reason Rodriguez named Miller co-director is the simple fact that the movie was never intended to be anything but a straight adaptation of the books...he says Miller's visual style in the books was so influential on his idea of what the film should be.

I understand the want to criticize this decision, but in the end I don't think this movie would have worked any other way.

Poke

Back