Should you address the release forms to you or use company/production name?

When you are collecting release forms from your crew and talent should you make the agreement between:
their name and your name
their name and your company's name
or their name and the particular production's name

Is it not troublesome to have so many papers on your name?
Is it easier to have the rights in the production's name if the production change hands (move to another production company or to a studio)?
And when does a (company or production) name can be recognized as a legal entity?

I know that in DIY productions we don't bother so much about these things but I think it would be good to know.
Thanks in advance

Kostas Gogas
Dutbo

Well, the easy way to answer this is, who's hiring them? Are you hiring them directly, or on behalf of your/another company? If it's the latter, forms should reflect that. If this is a personal project and no production company is involved, then they're making that agreement with you.

In other words, who are they releasing their rights to?

When you are collecting release forms from your crew and talent should you make the agreement between:
their name and your name
their name and your company's name
or their name and the particular production's name

Is it not troublesome to have so many papers on your name?
Is it easier to have the rights in the production's name if the production change hands (move to another production company or to a studio)?
And when does a (company or production) name can be recognized as a legal entity?

I know that in DIY productions we don't bother so much about these things but I think it would be good to know.
Thanks in advance

Kostas Gogas
Dutbo
I agree with the previous poster that you should ask a lawyer. Sounds like a simple $30 question that people like Ben McLane might be able to answer. Ask a lawyer about the pros and cons of having both your company and you listed on those releases.
At first glance I'd certainly want to grant rights to myself in addition to my company but I'm wondering about liability. Can you be sued personally if you are also named on those releases? I don't know how that works legally.

Back