Should Tokina 11-16 mm be the next lens that I buy?

Hi Guys,

I have a Cannon 550D along with the Cannon 50MM 1.4, and I use my DSLR only for videos.
I am planning to buy a Tokina 11-16 MM for my video filmmaking as a next step because the fixed focal length is killing me and also the AF is really difficult as you may all know!

So buying the Tokina 11-16 mm makes good sense coz I already have a prime lens in my kit? (Cannon 50mm 1.4)
I really want to buy the Cannon 70-200 L lens but dont really have that kinda cash at the moment! and I have heard good things about the Tokina and plus PhilipBloom thinks its a great wide angle lens for film-making on the market!

Thanks Guys!
A

It's a great lens, but it's pretty wide - are you specifically looking for a super-wide look for something you're shooting or planning to shoot? You might want to rent it from somewhere like borrowlenses.com so you can try it out and see if it gives you a look you like. Also, AF won't be any better than the 50, you basically just need to get used to manual focus with these cameras.

Yeah, I wish there as the renting option in my city! I live in Dubai and that is al little difficult :-( but yeah agree about the AF that it will be as tough the 50MM.

So ur saying its very wide ..hmmmm well I wouldn't mind wide angle but if its SUPER wide then i might have to re-think!

what do u recommend i buy as a second lens which has good video quality?

Thanks!

The 11-16 range is bout as wide as you'll get before hitting fisheye. It's very very wide.

On the crop sensor camera, it's still pretty wide, but acts like a 17ish-26ish lens. Keep in mind your 50 is acting like an 80.

What is your lens budget?

I just picked up a used Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 for $350 and a new Rokinon 85mm 1.4 for $270. The Tamron has some rave reviews, some not so good. I'm planning on posting a few test images and videos once I get it in. I'm really excited about the Rokinon. Great for tight shots and portrait photos, the reason it's so cheap is that it's manual focus only. for video though, no problem.

Some other good options (staying under $700 that the 11-16 is priced) would be a Sigma 24-70mm 2.8, a Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 (the sigma is better, but about $200 more), or a Canon 24-70 2,8 L, but tha'ts closer to $1200. Stellar lens though.

What type of video do you do? For film stuff, where you have multiple takes and can set up shots primes are a great way to go. If you REALLY search, you can find a Used canon 28mm 1.8 and a 85mm 1.8 for about $700, or go with the Rokinon for even less. Rokinon also makes a 35mm 1.4 that looks awesome, but it's closer to $500 and near impossible to find used for less.

If you do video or photography for live events, you should really look into a mid range (24-70 or close) zoom with a 2.8 aperture or faster. When something is happening on stage or the groom is about to kiss the bride you can't afford the time it takes to swap lenses.

In video, especially with your crop sensor, you won't be able to use the 70-200 very often unless your trying to hit something from far away. Again, live events when your camera has to be in the back. The long focal lengths multiply shakiness which multiplies rolling shutter too.

Finally, a popular low budget and collector thing to do is go for old 34mm film camera lenses, specifically the M42 screwmount. Super Takumars are awesome, and even cheaper lenses have a special look. You can find a Super Takumar SMC 50mm 1.4 all day long for around $100 (or less if you visit lot's of pawn shops) but other focal lengths are either a lot slower (most 28mm are 2.8) or more rare and therefore more expensive.You already have a 50, not much sense in buying another. These are pure manual focus lenses too.

Hope that broadens your lens horizon and gives you some Ideas! I've been researching like crazy the past week before I bought the two I mentioned earlier. I'm always a little weary about buying non-canon glass, but hopefully the reviews will prove true and they will be stellar. If you're not sure wether or not you want it, try renting first. Or if you need to, buy used. Just make sure you get a good enough deal that you can sell it for the same amount or more if it's a lemon.

Yes, Absolutely. I think I used this lens more than any other my first few years. You think your going to be using the 50 and 35 all the time, but this thing comes in handy constantly. Build quality is good, not super sharp like a prime of course, but you'll find yourself using it wide open more often than you think. It really lets you grab a whole scene at once, almost like you are seeing it.

Last edited:
Back