Should I sell this or keep it?

Should I sell it or now?

• Yes, be a cold hearted bastard who cares more about money than art

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No, relish in the knowledge that this book has sentimental and economic value

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • ask stupid questions to strangers

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
I just bought this book, KUBRICK : THE DEFINITIVE EDITION for $22 in mint condition. It's selling on AMAZON for $999 used. http://amzn.com/0571211089

Should I sell it (after I read it) or keep it?

61eOe1F8UEL.jpg

Whilst I can see there's a copy listed for $999, there's no way anyone in their right mind is going to pay that much....

That said if you find someone who will....SELL, SELL, SELL!

Whilst I can see there's a copy listed for $999, there's no way anyone in their right mind is going to pay that much....

That said if you find someone who will....SELL, SELL, SELL!

There are THREE copies for $999.... the one for $400 sold yesterday.

I say hold onto it for a while longer, unless they're planning another print run.

That is the risk with anything for collectors... when to sell it or not. There is no planned re-print, but the ratio of money spent versus selling is pretty high right now.

At the same time, I love my Kubrick book collection. I could use the $$$, but I don't really put a price on things I love.

I am torn.

If it's worth $999, which is 666 upside down, now. Wait til the market gets better and it shoul dbe worth more. If its a first edition, it will be worth more than subsequent editions. JMO

Frankly, I don't see why a future edition should be less valuable than this rare first edition. I'm not saying it won't be, but why should it be.

You mentioned art. Well, the art is in the written words, and perhaps some pictures that might accompany those words. The artistic value remains the same, no matter what edtion it is printed in. The high value of this object isn't a reflection of it's artistic value, but because of collector's supply-and-demand. It's valuable because lots of people want it, not because of the content within.

I say read it, and sell it, and if you can ever buy another edition of it, at a normal retail price, do that.

What's the difference between this one and the first American edition?

A chapter on EYES WIDE SHUT, including an interview with Stanley himself (a rarity), as well as all new photos from the entire Kubrick behind the scenes of all of his catalog and other essays and similar things to make it different.

Sell the dang thing. I have an original Two Virgins album. I could have sold it for a grand back when John was killed. Now, I can probably get $10.

When something seems overpriced, it usually is.

I would sell it. I would then get a cheaper version of the same book later if you like that book. That amount of money for a book is a heck incentive to sell. You could use the money for better things. Heck you can get a real nice big widescreen tv for that much.

My opinion? Keep it. Some things you can't really put a value on. My autographed picture of Spielberg, Scorsese, Coppola and Lucas? I don't care what it's worth. I'll never sell it.

I used to collect many things I thought would hold their value. I still have most of them, some I've kept since I was in my early teens (comic books). For instance, I got caught up in the Star Wars fad when Episode I was released and invested thousands of dollars in action figures and toys. It was something I wanted to do when I was a kid but couldn't afford it. They're still stuffed in the attic (mint in packages, most in Star cases). Now I'd be lucky to get a third of what I invested because Hasbro has all but flooded the market with reissues.

I still have one of the first printings of a Dungeons & Dragons book that was pulled from print (Deities & Demigods). It was worth several hundred dollars back in the day. Now it's practically worthless because no one cares about AD&D First Edition anymore.

I also have a box of hundreds of worthless Magic: The Gathering cards. Why do I keep them? It's more of a pain in the ass to try to catalog and sell them than it is just to stuff the box in the attic and forget about them.

So I'd keep it unless I were really in need of cash and had no other way to get it.

I'd read it and decide later. Keep it with a view to selling it in a few decades.

Fashions + prices come and go in the collectors market, but the value of this book is *probably* only going to go up. Could be worth a lot more in a few years. So wait
for later...

I'm a meditation type, so I sometimes ask the universe and wait for an omen before making big decisions. YMMV. You may think that's nonsense. Keep yr eyes out for a sign. Good luck.

I think just because you're asking for opinions, you can probably keep it. If you REALLY needed the money, there'd be no reason to ask.

This reminds me of a time when the only way to see Vivian Kubrick's "Making the Shining" was to get a 5th generation VHS dub on eBay for $90 (which my wife did for our 1st anniversary, and I followed that up by making a dub and selling that 6th generation VHS on eBay for $95).

Less than a year later it was available in stores everywhere as a special feature on the new Shining DVD, in crystal clarity, for $14.95.

Back