Should I pay people in post production if they do not deliver what I ask?

He sent me a link with some of the pictures but I told him without the original footage for comparison I can't tell what the colorist is doing.

Me too.
Without actual movement it's also hard to say how the shots relate to each other.

@sfoster:
were you as surprised as me about a major detail that was never brought up?

The screenshots are from the short film I posted on here about a year ago or so. I was trying to recolor it so I could get it on dvd for the actors, since I haven't given them one back then. I was trying to figure out how to do all the post production on it, and what not. But I would like to give them dvds of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=266U2Vg6FSw&feature=youtu.be

Mostly the contrast is way different in the night shots compared to shots in daytime. There are several shots at night though where the contrast does not match either. Such as it going from less to more, to less, from shot to shot in some parts. But the biggest differences is how the contrast drastically changes when going from the day to night shots.

I kept the contrast at zero in the picture profile the entire time, so the contrast level should be the same in the all the shots, but the colorist decided to change it too much, in a lot of shots, especially when going from night to day. And the viewers I showed it too, said they could tell the difference and that the night scenes look more faded, and it's obvious and distracting they said.

Last edited:
And you're wondering why those shots don't match?

Do you even know what contrast is? If so, explain it to me. Feel free to explain it like you're a two year old.

Of course the night shots will look faded. I remember your instructions to your grader was less contrast. Now you're surprised there is less contrast in the shot hence achieving the look that you hate.

the biggest differences is how the contrast drastically changes when going from the day to night shots.

umm, yeah. No kidding sherlock. Did you want the day to look like night or the night to look like day? Seriously, answer to me, what is contrast?

By the way, what kind of idiot posts screen shots via youtube? Really?

Taken a little bit from your youtube video.

Before:
http://www.anony.ws/image/DdfC

After:
http://www.anony.ws/image/DdfI

Take into account, the image quality was absolutely crap, so not much can be done with this picture. Is the after picture more to what you were hoping for, particularly when it comes to that washed out look you don't like?

I posted it on youtube cause this site wil not allow me to upload unless I upgrade my account it seems. When I told the grader, less contrast, I meant for the whole thing, not for him to mix it up so much. I do realize that contrast looks different at night, than in day. However the viewers I showed it to tell me that there are mismatches in the look of the movie and that sections of it look more faded, particularly the night scenes and they find it distracting. The colorist faded a lot of shots, and they find it distracting.

This is a problem because the customer is always right, right? So if the viewers say there is as problem, there is a problem, regardless of night suppose to be looking different naturally. The fading is unnatural to them.

Last edited:
I posted it on youtube cause this site wil not allow me to upload unless I upgrade my account it seems.
If you have youtube.com account (and you do) then you have a google account.
And if you have a google account (and you do) then you have a picasaweb.com account.
And if you have a picasaweb.com account (and you do) then you can upload your photos/images to that then post up to five image links per post here.
I do it all the time.

1z316bk.jpg

Okay thanks, but when I click on insert image it asks for a URL, instead of allowing me to upload from my computer. And to answer Legacyofwax's question, I already sent a youtube link, unless you meant something else?

Last edited:

This thread has been going on for TWO months, and I said a while back you guys are being fools for putting this much time into it without ever even seeing screen shots :lol:

Finally it's revealed the difference between these two scenes he's talking about was literally night and day.

Do you notice the difference in color between night and day though? The audience says that the ngiht scenes look TOO faded, and that's a problem. You cannot just say it's night and it's normal. If the test audience tells you that something is wrong, it's wrong. You cannot just say it's nighttime and they do not know what they are talking about, and ignore their feedback.

Do you notice the difference in color between night and day though? The audience says that the ngiht scenes look TOO faded, and that's a problem. You cannot just say it's night and it's normal. If the test audience tells you that something is wrong, it's wrong. You cannot just say it's nighttime and they do not know what they are talking about, and ignore their feedback.

Yes, the very last night shot doesn't match with the other two night shots.
But my point about the screen shot still stands.

Now that we have more information, you may be able to get real help instead of just posting aimlessly on a forum for two months about an issue.

It'll help even more if we can see the original footage from all those night shots prior to grading.

Another thing, you upload your images to a site like photo bucket or whatever was mentioned earlier. Those sites give you a direct URL to the image you uploaded.

You then link that URL in this thread as an embedded picture and that's how a normal internet user uploads screen shots. I've never seen anyone use youtube for that before :lol:

Okay thanks, but when I click on insert image it asks for a URL, instead of allowing me to upload from my computer. And to answer Legacyofwax's question, I already sent a youtube link, unless you meant something else?
Correct.
You upload your image to picasaweb and insert that URL's link.
You do not upload your image to indietalk.

When I told the grader, less contrast, I meant for the whole thing, not for him to mix it up so much.

He didn't mix it up. You screwed up due to your lack of understanding.

I do realize that contrast looks different at night, than in day

Why do you insist that it looks the same?

I showed it to tell me that there are mismatches in the look of the movie and that sections of it look more faded, particularly the night scenes and they find it distracting. The colorist faded a lot of shots, and they find it distracting.

Were you at least fair to the grader to let your audience know that it was you that caused that problem? I'd bet you played the hapless idiot. You know the kind? The one that walks through a glassware shop knocking everything over and then complains to the owner that there's a mess on your way out. You're a wreck.

Of course it's distracting. You've instructed your grader to reduce the contrast. On the day time scenes, it looks like you've massively overexposed, so the only way is to raise the blacks (I'm glad your grader ignored your instruction on that one). On the night scenes, if you reduce the contrast, you're going to either make it brighter or darker. Either is wrong, but he lifted the blacks to match your instruction and not it looks like an ungraded image which requires more work.

When you steer your car into a wall while pressing firmly on the accelerator, do you blame the builder of the wall?

the customer is always right, right?

It's a nice saying. It's just like, "Build it and they will come". If you think it's true, then my opinion of you just lowered. Didn't think it was possible. Next thing you'll be telling me the Yeti is real.

Do you notice the difference in color between night and day though?

Yep. We did. I had a quick look at matching the shots last night. It's likely that with the way it's been shot that the grader is performing damaging control on your film, which reduces a lot of options. Your over exposed and under exposed shots make it hard to fix, let alone creatively grade and match. Then again, some idiot decided a youtube double degraded video would do for a source of a screen capture.

The audience says that the ngiht scenes look TOO faded, and that's a problem.

Yep it is. The real question is why did you make it like this?

And this is a separate issue. If you knew even the most basic fundamental concept about this topic, you'd know that.

You cannot just say it's night and it's normal.

The faded image isn't normal, but that's what happened when the grader followed your instruction. See. You're his customer. The customer is always right, right? You were the customer and you were so wrong it's not funny. Regretting saying the customer is always right yet?

If the test audience tells you that something is wrong, it's wrong.

Going by your logic, your video is perfect as is. You were the initial audience watching the video. You noticed something was wrong, so that makes it wrong. You go back to your grader, where you're the customer, and the customer is always right. You tell him how to fix it. Remember, customer is always right, so he does it. You receive the video. Since you were the customer and the customer is always right, your instructions were correct and your video is now perfect. What's the problem? Gotta love this fantasy land you live in. Pigs fly backwards too?

upload your image to picasaweb

I didn't know about this site. How did I miss it? I finally learned something useful from this thread. Thanks ray.

Should I pay people in post production if they do not deliver what I ask?

What do you think you would do, or should do, in this situation?
I say you should pop a cap in his @ss, filet him like a fish, stuff him in yo freezer, then serve him on Fridays!

Woo hooo!!

Go crazy, H!

17968_o.gif

I didn't know about this site. How did I miss it? I finally learned something useful from this thread. Thanks ray.
's what freinds 'r for, Sweetie. ;)

LOL, when you ask your audience to pay attention to the contrast and color to see what is wrong, you tell them something is wrong and then they will find something to say :P

BTW, H44 there is an important question waiting for you:

What is contrast?

Back