Should I go ahead with a movie shoot with no PSM?

I wanted to make decisions on whether or not to shoot a short I put out a casting call and crew hire for. I was not able to find much crew accept for a camera experienced person who might be in. I have to fill one of the actor roles though. Two actors minimum to make the story work, and I only have one so far I could find. So if I can either act and have someone be behind the camera, or vice versa, that should be good.

But I have no PSM or boom op, and really hate doing ADR, and wonder if it's even worth it, to make a watchable movie to show people. Should I wait or should I jump on it while I have an actor and possible camera operator available? Any tips if no PSM is present?

Thanks.

Yes, but also, when he can, he still manages to scare people away. It's kind of sad in a way. Networking isn't really his thing. Leading isn't really his thing.

Yes, he needs to do it. Should he? Maybe. Will it work? Probably not.
I think you might be onto something here, Sweetie.

H, if I recall correct, by your own admission you're more of an actor than director/producer, correct?

Try prancing (yes! prancing!) about the house and life today as if you were acting a role of "boss."

Look in the mirror this morning and find your "boss" character.

How does "the boss" brush his teeth? Brush his hair?
What decisions does "the boss" look forward to later in the day?

Now, this isn't just a caricature boss from Merry Melodies. No. You gotta be a specific kind of boss.
You gotta be an effective and good boss.
Not a yelling, ugly boss.
Not a boss of yourself, so don't pattern after any "lone wolf" characters.
You gotta find someone who's responsible for a team.
Some one who works towards a goal.
Someone who cares about the team and accepts responsibility for their shortcomings - and you have all the answers to their problems.

So, let's start thinking of "bosses."

First boss I can think of is Axel Foley's "Boss" Douglas Todd from 'Beverly Hills Cop.' Probably not a good character for you to emulate. He's good, but a little intense. Bit of a stretch for you, H.

boss-photo-5.jpg

Now, Taggert & Rosewood's boss might not be too bad.
Next movie boss I can think of is Chief Warrant Officer Miller from 'Green Zone.' Good character, watch him work with his squad at the Diwaniya and Mansour sites. Act like that.
Let's see... who else we got...
Watch 'What Women Want'. Can you do Darcy McGuire?
Too... mature for you? Try Becky Fuller from 'Morning Glory.' Good boss.
Too perky? Try Dave from 'Dave', when he's at his temp agency running it. Do that.

And then you could just try learning how to actually be a good boss:
http://www.wikihow.com/Be-a-Good-Boss
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tag/how-to-be-a-good-boss

GL, H!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_49NQtFV7aE

I don't know why you guys still bother, honestly.

H44 probably uses velcro because he can't figure out which knot is the best way to tie his shoes. I know I certainly wouldn't want to be an actor or crew on one of his productions, would you?

A leader has to be decisive. H44 is NOT a leader, he constantly comes on this forum asking to be lead. If he wants someone else to make all his decisions for him, then what good is he as a director?

Everyone has been telling him non stop to go out there and just shoot something for months, and the fact that he started a thread with "should I go ahead with a movie shoot" literally had me laughing out loud. he couldn't be more of a troll if he were trying.

A leader has to be decisive. H44 is NOT a leader, he constantly comes on this forum asking to be lead. If he wants someone else to make all his decisions for him, then what good is he as a director?
Yeah! Seriously!

That's EXACTLY why I suggested he should literally ACT! the part of a leader just for himself for the day.
He can't BE a real leader. God, no! WTH's wrong with you, Foster?
No, but he can "act" like one.
Can't he?

Someone check Hoyle's for me.
See if there's any rules against H acting like a leader for a day or two.
Maybe some of it'll rub off on him.
(God. Won't that be some scary shit.)

H!
H!
You been acting like a leader yet? Today? This morning?
Can you find your "LEADER" hat and wear that for a coupla days?
fearless_leader_hat-rc21559a63f8848f197ba8db185fc5dfd_v9wfy_8byvr_324.jpg

C'mon, man.
Do me a solid, here.

I BE-LIEEEEEEVE in you.
I BE-LIEEEEEEVE in you.

Being a leader though is easier said than done. As soon as I told six actors so far that I could not secure a venue for auditions anytime soon, they never emailed me back. I got a last actor now and wondering if I tell her the same thing, will she loose interest. Being a leader doesn't mean shit if no one will follow.

I will make my own decision though. I have decided to make the movie even though their is no PSM or boom op. I can do ADR later or whatever it takes. I did that for my first short film and that ruined the movie, and I vowed never to do again. But I take that back cause it seems that the consensus is is that you must let the ends justify the means to get a movie done, otherwise you are just not a leader, even though the movie will likely suck, and you have to find new people to work with next time as a result of it. But I guess that's better than it not getting made at all. Now I will try my best to get the last actor to stick around, not being able to have an audition and not knowing if the talent is good or not.

Last edited:
Being a leader though is easier said than done.

Of course... Being anything is easier than not being that thing. It requires doing something, in which the opposite is required if you're not being that thing. But I thought that would be common sense.

Being a leader doesn't mean shit if no one will follow.

You're thinking of it all wrong. If no one will follow, then you're not a leader, you're just a guy standing alone.

As soon as I told six actors so far that I could not secure a venue for auditions anytime soon, they never emailed me back. I got a last actor now and wondering if I tell her the same thing, will she loose interest.

Of course. Lets say you go for a job. They're offering minimum wage, but they don't have the money now, they might have it in a few months. What do you think any person with half a brain would do?

If you cannot handle the basics of finding an audition space, who is going to believe you have the ability to complete every aspect required to complete a film. People don't want to be a part of a project that will like uncompleted.

even though the movie will likely suck

I remember a little thing from my NLP training. The subconscious is a powerful thing. You get what you focus on. If you focus on the problems (and not the solution), you'll find more and more problems. If you focus on the end result sucking, then it's likely to turn out that way.

Being a leader though is easier said than done. As soon as I told six actors so far that I could not secure a venue for auditions anytime soon, they never emailed me back. I got a last actor now and wondering if I tell her the same thing, will she loose interest. Being a leader doesn't mean shit if no one will follow.
What do you expect? If someone called me up and said 'Hey I'd like you to shoot my movie, but I want to see your reel before we go forwards. There's no pay, but it could be good experience. I won't be able to look at your reel for quite a while' I'd say 'Great! Call me when you look at it.' Or I simply would cut ties, knowing that the road ahead would probably be fraught with disaster.

But I guess that's better than it not getting made at all. Now I will try my best to get the last actor to stick around, not being able to have an audition and not knowing if the talent is good or not.

It seems like you don't want to make this anyway. So, if you really don't want to - why do so? I've always said; if you can do something other than film, you would be and you should be. Filmmaking is one of the hardest professions to get a start in, and one of the hardest to work your way up, and one of the hardest to get decent pay. But it's worth it for those who love it.
Seems to me like you might be better off hiring yourself and your camera out as a camera operator for weddings and events.

Secondly - you need experience. That means making films, or getting on sets. You've already expressed your distaste for driving to a larger city where people had offered you decent experience on decent sets. So, you'll have to make your own movies.
Experience means crewing on films that are worth crewing on. If you need to move to do that, then I'd do it. As far as I'm concerned, if there's no movies worth crewing on (especially paying ones) in my general area, how will that ever translate to future paid work? Short answer? It won't. So, if you're really serious about making this a career, move to where the work and opportunities are.
Failing that (but usually in addition to) make your own films, and learn from your mistakes. Your first ten films will probably be terrible. But then yoru next ten might be better, and the ten after that will be even better. No-one got to the top of any profession without spending years honing their craft, especially in the film industry.

The huge Directors didn't decide that it was 'too hard' or 'not worth it' when they were first starting out because their films weren't going to be as good as something that had 10x the budget.

Or you can sit where you are feeling sorry for yourself. Or you can make films as a hobby, and have a different job during the week.
All options are perfectly fine. There's no specific right or wrong way to go about things. Many people have made great movies with barely any (or no) crew and barely any (or no) actors, and plenty of people have made terrible films that have been fully crewed and catered, and with everyone getting paid.

Make a decision and stick to it, and then accept the consequences when they come your way. Even if your film falls down or looks terrible, or you can't get the sound sync'd - you've still learned from it.

But from what I can tell, you'll probably spend the next 6 months making excuses about why it can't be made, or why it isn't as great as it can be and end up learning nothing.

At the end of the day, the reason Hollywood movies look like they do is the talented crew. You can make all kind of excuses like 'Roger Deakins shoots with Alexa and Master Primes, if I could shoot with Alexa and Master Primes, I'd make images that look just as good' when the reality is, if you shot on an Alexa with Master Primes, your images would look very similar to the way they do now, just with a tad extra dynamic range. The real reason Deakins' stuff looks the way it does is because it's Deakins behind the camera. And the reason Deakins is as good as he is, is because he spent years honing his craft.

Last edited:
As soon as I told six actors so far that I could not secure a venue for auditions anytime soon, they never emailed me back

Now I will try my best to get the last actor to stick around, not being able to have an audition

I have held auditions at a bar/cafe and held auditions at a local library. I have had actors audition at my house. I have been to an actors house to have him read for a part. I even had an actor give an audition in the street once!
What exactly is the problem???

Firstly, it seems like you don't want to make this anyway. So, if you really don't want to - why do so?

^This.

.......................As soon as I told six actors so far that I could not secure a venue for auditions anytime soon, they never emailed me back. I got a last actor now and wondering if I tell her the same thing, will she loose interest.....

Maybe they saw no point in replying and they are awaiting a message that you have 'secured an venue for audituions'.
What should they reply?
Maybe you are panicking for no confirmed reason.

Should you go ahead?
Only if it's possible with what you have.
If you need to ADR, and that will be crap, make sure you have someone to record sound on set.

I'm really expecting a question like: "I want to make a $100.000.000 feature, but I only got $100,- to spend. Should I go ahead?" next time.

Like I said very often:
you need to be flexible in your mind.
But you show a rigid and stubborn mind, unable to think of solutions.
No rule is set in stone.
It's true what NLP teaches: you get what you focus on.

Last edited:
If you cannot handle the basics of finding an audition space, who is going to believe you have the ability to complete every aspect required to complete a film. People don't want to be a part of a project that will like uncompleted.

I remember a little thing from my NLP training. The subconscious is a powerful thing. You get what you focus on. If you focus on the problems (and not the solution), you'll find more and more problems. If you focus on the end result sucking, then it's likely to turn out that way.

Okay thanks. Perhaps this is why I could not get actors, cause I could not get audition space.

It seems like you don't want to make this anyway. So, if you really don't want to - why do so? I've always said; if you can do something other than film, you would be and you should be. Filmmaking is one of the hardest professions to get a start in, and one of the hardest to work your way up, and one of the hardest to get decent pay. But it's worth it for those who love it.
Seems to me like you might be better off hiring yourself and your camera out as a camera operator for weddings and events.

Secondly - you need experience. That means making films, or getting on sets. You've already expressed your distaste for driving to a larger city where people had offered you decent experience on decent sets. So, you'll have to make your own movies.
Experience means crewing on films that are worth crewing on. If you need to move to do that, then I'd do it. As far as I'm concerned, if there's no movies worth crewing on (especially paying ones) in my general area, how will that ever translate to future paid work? Short answer? It won't. So, if you're really serious about making this a career, move to where the work and opportunities are.
Failing that (but usually in addition to) make your own films, and learn from your mistakes. Your first ten films will probably be terrible. But then yoru next ten might be better, and the ten after that will be even better. No-one got to the top of any profession without spending years honing their craft, especially in the film industry.

^This.

I wasn't offered to work on decent sets in the big city. I said before that actors wanted to be part of a script I wrote and showed them.. That does not mean I was offered to be on sets. There were no sets, just actors interested. I didn't go cause I am not ready to shoot a feature for that big of budget, plus adding more onto the budget, by having to fly to another city over and over to accommodate all the would be cast and crew's free shoot days over the months. I have gotten on two director's sets so far here, as an actor and boom op. Learned some things for sure. I try to get on when I here their is a movie being shot here.

And I guess I could do what was suggested and have the audition at my house or on the street. I was told on here before not to do that cause that would be creepy so I avoided it. But I emailed the last actress interested and asked her if she would do that.

Maybe they saw no point in replying and they are awaiting a message that you have 'secured an venue for audituions'.
What should they reply?
Maybe you are panicking for no confirmed reason.

Should you go ahead?
Only if it's possible with what you have.
If you need to ADR, and that will be crap, make sure you have someone to record sound on set.

I'm really expecting a question like: "I want to make a $100.000.000 feature, but I only got $100,- to spend. Should I go ahead?" next time.

Like I said very often:
you need to be flexible in your mind.
But you show a rigid and stubborn mind, unable to think of solutions.
No rule is set in stone.
It's true what NLP teaches: you get what you focus on.

I will go ahead and shoot it without a confirmed sound person on set. If the actors don't come back to do the ADR (like my last short), I can always recast for the ADR.

I know filmmaking is not easy, but you think that others that are interested, would also not want to get turned off of every opportunity just cause of inconveniences either. I am willing to do what it takes, I just wish others who say they want to get into it, would feel the same way. But I will keep looking for people if this one actress looses interest at their not being a proper venue to audition at. If she and the DP stick with it, I will direct and act in the movie and do ADR later. Unfortunately a lot of people do not seem to share the 'do whatever it takes' philosophy.

Last edited:
H44, you got to spend less time on this forum and just get filming!!!

And man up a bit. If you act and sound all inexperienced, a lot of people will not want to work with you.

Get out there!!!

For the time being, screw perfection (perfect cast, perfect crew, all the right gear etc) - just get filming!

Okay I will. I will look to see if their are any good books or tutorials on how to do good ADR and getting non-actors to act as well. I will just try my best to keep their morale up when I tell them they will have to do ADR later. One thing I have learned from the feature I acted in and helped out on set was to get a scene shoot done in 2-3 hours. If you do that everyone is happy, the actors, the location owner, etc.

However, that movie resulted in a lot of missing shots, continuity flaws, jump cutting, etc. Is it possible to get a scene shoot done in 2-3 hours, and have it be good? My first short I took 8-12 hour day shoots, and no one liked working that long in their free time. I can lessen the shot list and arrange it so that the actors can act out the whole master shot in a few takes. Then rely mostly on the master instead of so many individual shots. If this is a good idea. On the feature I wored on, the director wanted to do this but most of the actors could not play out a whole scene in a master, and needed to do it in sections.

So how long shoud I take to do a shoot that is not too long where everyone can be happy? Of course I will feed the cast and crew and what not. On the feature I never got fed once, but I guess on 2-3 hour shoots, I didn't care, since it wasn't much time to get really hungry.

Last edited:
Just do it. Failure is a change to learn. No matter how much effort you'll but into anything it'll never be perfect. The law of diminishing returns kicks in. A completed project is better than no projects and you don't have to show it to anyone if it turns out totally awful. Stop worrying about the technical things. The amount of time you have spent researching the minutia of film making on the internet is probably equivalent to the time required to complete a 4 year college degree. Disregard technical perfection - acquire completed projects.

Okay I will. Since I was not able to find a crew, including a focus puller though, I will have to make a change in the camera. I have the Canon T2i, and that camera does not have an autofocus. Since I have no one to pull focus, can I get a lens that has an autofocus that you can mount on, via adapter or something like that? I googled it but all I could was autofocus when it comes to taking stills with the T2i, and not a lens autofocus for video.

Last edited:
But I have to act in the movie to fill in a part that requires a male character. My female friend can film but she does not know about focus pulling, and I am guessing that even though she is willing to shoot the movie, I don't know if she would be willing to take time to do so much practice to learn. And in the steadicam shots, she won't be able to operate the steadicam and pull focus at the same time.

The movie is set outdoors in the daytime though, so hopefully we will have enough sun to do without needing focus pulling.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd just jump in. The worst that can happen is you'll have to do a bit of extra work. Or, maybe it'll turn out crap. But the point is that you did it. And everything you do makes you that much better. There's no substitute for experience.

Deep focus or a different camera and no more excuses. Also no point in planning Steadicam shots if you don't have someone competent enough to execute them properly. It's a needless complication and the shots will likely end up looking like basic handheld.

Okay thanks. Perhaps this is why I could not get actors, cause I could not get audition space.

Nope. Just, plain and simple no. Why you cannot get actors is more to do with the root cause of why you cannot get audition space. About the only thing you can execute is an excuse.

If you spent half the time executing solutions that you spend making excuses, you'd be a successful filmmaker already.

I know someone who is twice as useless as you (no joke), and they just finished shooting their 4th feature film earlier this year. S/he accepted no excuses, just adapted and executed day after day with only a budget of about $2k.

Last edited:
Back