• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Should I double line my descriptions as well as action?

I was told to double line action scenes, cause that makes it more accurate to determine how much time the action takes up. Should I do the same with my descriptions too, like at the beginning of the scenes? The problem I have with double lining is that my scripts always come up out too long. I am trying to write another feature, but already over my intended page limit, do to double lining again. How do I double line, but keep it 90-120 pages, no more. In fact, I don't want this one going over probably 105 at the most, since I might want to make this my first feature in the future, it's good to keep your firsts short, marketwise.

Are you talking about breaking up big blocks of text, into smaller chunks, adding white space between the lines? If so, then yes, you should. Your descriptions at the start of a scene are still 'action'. In screenplay jargon, 'action' isn't referring to the fact that this is an action scene, 'action' is essentially anything that isn't dialogue.

I don't think you should be so rigid on the length. Your script will be as long as it needs, in order to tell the story adequately. If you want to cut down on the length, you'll have to cut down on the action.

Yes I meant put white in between the sentences. I am using Movie Magic Screenwriter. That's just it though, there's not enough that much action. About maybe 20-30 minutes of it, is action theoretically. The rest is very dialogue oriented. I tried basing my script on the structure of most 90-100 minute movies, so I don't know why mine comes longer. I tried that with my last script and it was 117 pages, after cutting down.

I've found that Dialog runs a little shorter than 1 pg/min and action a little longer... so I like to see about 50% action/dialog throughout a script from a purely logistic viewpoint.

That is with the default formatting in Celtx (which is what we use). It seems to play out pretty well in the final edit... last script, 25pgs, 35min rough edit. It'll cut down to about 25-30 minutes when all is said and done.

Action can be tricky.

What can appear as ten seconds on the screen may take days to months to film and edit. Also, the way it is edited can vary from the script.

A good example is from Superman The Movie when Lois Lane dangles from the top of the Daily Planet building, holding onto dear life to a seatbelt from a crashed helicopter hanging over the edge of the roof of the building, Clark Kent sees her in peril, changes to Superman and files to the rescue of both Lois and the helicopter and saves them both. That whole scene may have lasted two minutes and took over two months alone to film.

A scene link that can be written in one paragraph.

I've often been told by writers that the page count of a script ends up greater than the edited down minutes of the footage of the film.

I was told to double line action scenes, cause that makes it more accurate to determine how much time the action takes up. Should I do the same with my descriptions too, like at the beginning of the scenes? The problem I have with double lining is that my scripts always come up out too long. I am trying to write another feature, but already over my intended page limit, do to double lining again. How do I double line, but keep it 90-120 pages, no more. In fact, I don't want this one going over probably 105 at the most, since I might want to make this my first feature in the future, it's good to keep your firsts short, marketwise.

The industry standard is based on single space lines. If you need to expand out action lines to set them off, fine. But don't add blank lines. If this is something you're shooting yourself, do it any way you want. But most readers take blank space as a sign of amateur writing--trying to fluff up a script. The ONLY time I've seen double spacing is in TV comedy scripts. It is a bizarre anomaly but even there, I've seen a slow transition to single spacing.

-------------------------------> Transition
(space)
INT. SLUGLINE - TIME
(space)
Description
(space)
Action
(space)
------------>Character
--------->[optional Parenthetical]
------>Dialogue
(space)
repeat as needed for scene
(double space)
EXT. NEW SLUGLINE - TIME

All the extra spacing is a waste. Readers want to see story. And your pacing is judged by the balance of your use of dialogue and action/description. Too much white or black are warning signs.

If you are using CeltX or FinalDraft, it is formatting it for you properly.

Your pacing is judged by the way the film plays out in the readers mind. It has nothing to do with white, black or spacing.

Don't let formatting preconceptions decide how the script needs to be written.

What we did in film school, was time each scene. You hold a stop watch, and imagine the scene in your mind. Or read through it while imagining it/acting it out. Then give each scene a rough time reference.

Format however you need to, to make the script read as the film will be.

Back