• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Short Sci-fi/Thriller film "ABDUCTION"

I really liked the short. You definitely grabbed my attention :yes:

One thing I didn't like was the high volume of the sound effects, to me they were too loud and distracting(actually kind of annoying).

I agree that the sound effects are too loud, however, they are largely responsible for the amazing mood of this short. Nice editing and shot composition, too!

An interesting short, certainly a cut above most. Interesting comments too, it's unusual to see so many comments regarding the sound rather than just the cinematography, even if I don't fully agree with many of them! :)

I generally liked the cinematography, editing, pacing and the overall feel but the sound not so much. It's not that the sound was bad, just that it only achieved a fraction of what it could have achieved. What I mean by this is that the sound could have aided the story more and greatly improved the audience's feeling of involvement. The use of shot composition, angles and picture editing create visual implications and responses from the audience which we call the "language of film" and which you seem to understand and have employed well. However, there is also a "language of film" as far as the use of sound and music are concerned and you haven't employed this aspect of the "language of film" nearly as well.

It seems to me that visually you have used the language of film and told your story largely by contrasting/counterpointing real action as viewed from a third person perspective with cuts and flashbacks from the character's POV. For example, the character waking and sitting-up on the bed (third party POV) inter-cut with surreal images of the character's head pain and flashbacks from the character's POV, back to sitting on the bed, etc. The same happens in the balcony scene. Rather than enhancing this visual language and increasing the audience's involvement, your sound is frequently fighting your visual language and reducing the audience's involvement.

For example, in the language of film, music is great for creating mood but detracts from the realism/believability and audience involvement. Using non-diagetic music in film is by definition unreal/surreal and therefore always emphasises the fact that we are watching a film, rather than the opposite, which is making us (the audience) feel like we are there, sharing the experience with the character and forgetting that we are watching a film. This is what I mean by audience involvement. The cut to the balcony scene for instance still feels surreal and uninvolving, we have some isolated Foley sounds and the evolving synth pad to create mood but we have no atmosphere, no aural context. Is the balcony in a high-rise apartment block in the city or in a suburb or in the country? Without any type of atmosphere/believable audio environment, the audience cannot experience being "there" because there is no "there"! The same is true of the opening street scene and the bed scene, where the visual language says "real" but the sound says "unreal/surreal". Because of this, when we cut to a sequence which is supposed to feel surreal and/or inside the character's head, the impact is greatly reduced.

Prominent breathing sounds adds pace, energy and tension but also (in the language of film) implies first person perspective or at least intimacy/very close proximity. IMO, you've overused the breathing effects. In the opening scene for example the POV implication of the breathing is fighting the visual POV in places and creates too much energy/tension which lessens the contrast/dramatic impact of the subsequent shots/scene.

These might all seem like minor issues but they all add up to significantly reduce the power and impact of your short. Don't take this criticism too harshly, I've heard far, far worse use of sound and music. Your sound isn't bad but it's certainly not up to the same standards as other areas of your filmmaking. Just to be clear, it's not the technical quality I'm talking about, it's your artistic use of sound to create appropriate implications, manipulate the audience and aid your story telling.

I hope this is useful.

G

AudioPostExpert: Thank you very much for the review it truly means a lot, it was actually pretty accurate, I'll really take your advice in count for my next short films, the sound has to be more natural. Thanks again!

I'll really take your advice in count for my next short films, the sound has to be more natural.

Hmmm, not necessarily, I think you missed my point! Think about the visual images you've created in your short, some are designed to be normal realistic situations which you want the audience to identify with, for example; the opening street scene, waking up suddenly in bed after a nightmare/flashback, drinking water sitting on a balcony. Other visual sequences, you have deliberately designed to be unrealistic or surreal, to make the audience experience what is going on inside the character's head rather than what is happening in reality. You've put considerable thought and effort during all the stages of your filmmaking (the planning, filming, editing, visual processing) to create these different visual "experiences" and it shows, visually your short is very effective. What I'm suggesting is that you need to apply the same level of thought and effort with your sound, to create aural "experiences" which match/enhance/compliment your visual "experiences". At the moment your sound only compliments/enhances your visual images to a limited extent and in some places it does the opposite and actually fights the visuals, greatly reducing the audience's ability to experience the situation you are trying to create. In practise, at least some of the time and effort you've put into your visuals has been wasted/negated. Ultimately, the effectiveness of your film depends entirely on how the visuals and sound combine and work together!

In this particular short, the realistic visual scenes/sequences must have believable sound otherwise the audience obviously won't believe them! Believable doesn't necessarily mean "natural" though, maybe this thread might help you appreciate what I'm trying to explain.

G

it's a short film, you can definitely get away with it.
imagine if that music was going on for 120 minutes straight.

in a longer film you would definitely have to make some of those scenes sound more normal, create different experiences. should a short film have more than one tone?

in a longer film you would definitely have to make some of those scenes sound more normal, create different experiences. should a short film have more than one tone?

Whether a short film should have more than one tone or one experience is a different question, unrelated to what I've posted about the use of sound/music. This particular short already has more than one visual "tone" and more than one "experience". For example, the realistic scenes (walking down the street, waking up in bed, drinking water on the balcony) and the surreal, inside the character's head scenes (flashbacks, etc.). The question for using audio post and music is how to enhance these experiences/tones to make the story more powerful and absorbing rather than less powerful, less believable and therefore less absorbing.

it's a short film, you can definitely get away with it.

In film, short or feature length, you definitely cannot get away with it!! Or rather, you can get away with it under certain conditions. If for example you have a terrible script/story, very poor acting, very poor cinematography and/or very poor editing then yes you can get away with it because however good your use of sound/music, no one is believe or feel involved in your film anyway! In this case though, these other aspects of the short are pretty decent, the use of sound and music is the weak link which most obviously reduces the audience involvement.

G

Last edited:
Whether a short film should have more than one tone or one experience is a different question, unrelated to what I've posted about the use of sound/music. This particular short already has more than one visual "tone" and more than one "experience". For example, the realistic scenes (walking down the street, waking up in bed, drinking water on the balcony) and the surreal, inside the character's head scenes (flashbacks, etc.). The question for using audio post and music is how to enhance these experiences/tones to make the story more powerful and absorbing rather than less powerful, less believable and therefore less absorbing.

G

Let me see if I understand you correctly...
You're saying that the scene of him walking down the street should be made more believable. Less surreal and creepy until the UFO shows up?

Visually I felt the tone was pretty similar throughout tbh. It's not like he walked into a pastel room or put on a hawaiian shirt. It was a creepy street, a creepy room, a creepy flashback and a creepy balcony. Nothing was brightly lit or uniform. Dark color palette is consistent too.

Now I do think that when flashback cross cutting occurs, the changing of music can be very powerful. one example of that is in that fashion film that someone posted recently.

Last edited:
You're saying that the scene of him walking down the street should be made more believable. Less surreal and creepy until the UFO shows up?

Not necessarily. I am saying that the OP shot the opening scene of some ordinary guy walking down an ordinary (albeit creepy) street in some sort of ordinary town/city. He/she has not shot an alien walking around an alien planet in a different universe. For the audience to identify with the scene and feel involved in the film they must be made to feel like they are there, to believe the environment depicted in the visuals.

In the street scene there is no shot which includes someone standing on the street or sidewalk playing a synthesizer, so the incidental synth music while helping to create a mood also tells the audience that they are watching a film, rather than believing they are there, experiencing our character walking down a creepy street.

Visually I felt the tone was pretty similar throughout tbh.

I wasn't referring to colour tone or grading but about tone in terms of emotional/intellectual response. In this case, the juxtaposition of the different perspectives: 1. Seeing/experiencing our character walking down a street, waking up, etc, from a third party perspective and 2. Then seeing the flashbacks which by definition are from the character's perspective. The narrative of the short depends on these changing visual perspectives and on the audience understanding and believing them.

It was a creepy street, a creepy room, a creepy flashback and a creepy balcony...
Now I do think that when flashback cross cutting occurs, the changing of music can be very powerful.

Music can indeed be a very powerful tool but the flip side to using this tool is that it makes what you are watching seem unreal and reminds the audience they are watching a film rather than experiencing for themselves what the character is experiencing. Music has it's limitations, the "creepy street" for example; music is very good at creating the "creepy" but useless at creating the "street". Sound on the other hand can create both "creepy" and "street". As a filmmaker you can create the aural environment of "creepy street" with just sound or with sound and music together. You have to weigh up which best creates the audience response you are after, bearing in mind the flip side of using music. You can't just use music or just music with an occasional sound effect though, you need to create a believable atmosphere.

In both the example shorts you posted, how much a part of the environments in which the films were set did you feel, how believable and involved in the narrative did you feel?

G

Last edited:
In both the example shorts you posted, how much a part of the environments in which the films were set did you feel, how believable and involved in the narrative did you feel?

G

fyi, I was that previous poster you were talking about, not the op.

i got quite involved when they were in the skin tight leopard suits running through tall grass :yes:

Not sure my last post was very clear on this point. I am saying, that according to the visuals, the street must be believable, whatever type of street it is, which in this case is a creepy street. The story/visuals demand a believable street, now it can be a believable suburban city street or a believable small town street (or wherever) but it has to be a believable street somewhere. In addition to being in a believable environment the OP could also make this street a believably creepy street and could have made it believably creepy either from the beginning or bring in the creepiness later on in the scene, same with the surreal feel. Where/when/if you start making the street feel creepy and/or surreal is an entirely artistic option based on what you want your audience to feel and when but making your audience believe what they are seeing is more of a fundamental filmmaking requirement than an artistic option, as far as narrative filmmaking is concerned!

If it were me, I would start the scene straight and start to bring in the creepy feel on the first frontal close up, building it up to the end of the scene. I would leave the breathing sounds out until the point where the dog bark is currently or better still, not bring in the breathing sounds at all and save them for the wake-up scene. I would use some believable SFX/s for the UFO over the building creepy sound and not bring in the music and truly surreal feel until the headache scene. This way we are building the story and making the emotional responses more powerful by the contrast of the different audio elements as they are added to the mix, rather than trying to start with both the creepy and surreal emotional responses but no believability. This is just how I might do it, it's up to you how you do it but whenever and however you bring in the creepy and surreal feels you still need to make it believable! Same goes for the wake-up scene and the drinking water on the balcony scene.

You need to use sound, music or music and sound to achieve the type of audience response you are after, the same way that you use camera angles, lighting and editing, rather than just using music because it's easier than creating all that sound!

G

Last edited:
Back