Short Nikon D7000 Clip

Looks good, hepabst. Looks good in B & W. Or is it sepia or something else? Looks like quite a bit of noise, but no doubt that's to be expected in very low light. Nice performance by The Kootz too. It would be cool to see more of the video you shoot, if you feel up to sharing more. =)

Hi Richy,

Thanks for your comments. It has a touch of sepia applied and a helping of digital film grain. Yes, there is noise the ISO was very high. There was no light, the band was jammed in a dark corner. As you can see the street lights are brighter than the room. But the moment felt right so I wanted to film it.

I'll be putting up more clips from the D7000, still looking for the camera's sweet spots and working on cine-look profiles.

The Kootz are a great band. The guitarist (Glenn Taylor) is the leader and a personal friend of mine for many years. On their last studio album they covered Tommy James' "Sweet Cherry Wine". Tommy heard the track and fell in love with it and sang his own version of it over The Kootz's tracks and the Kootz sang backup. Very cool resulting version of "Sweet Cherry Wine". Here is a link to the track on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb0Wis5rfVg

Last edited:
Hi Richy,

Thanks for your comments. It has a touch of sepia applied and a helping of digital film grain. Yes, there is noise the ISO was very high. There was no light, the band was jammed in a dark corner. As you can see the street lights are brighter than the room. But the moment felt right so I wanted to film it.

I'll be putting up more clips from the D7000, still looking for the camera's sweet spots and working on cine-look profiles.

The Kootz are a great band. The guitarist (Glenn Taylor) is the leader and a personal friend of mine for many years. On their last studio album they covered Tommy James' "Sweet Cherry Wine". Tommy heard the track and fell in love with it and sang his own version of it over The Kootz's tracks and the Kootz sang backup. Very cool resulting version of "Sweet Cherry Wine". Here is a link to the track on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb0Wis5rfVg

That's good music.

Good to hear. It'll be nice to see more clips and see what this D7000 can do. Any plans to shoot a video for The Kootz? Perhaps with your D7000?

As you've pointed out, there isn't much said about Nikon video on this forum or elsewhere. I recall reading someone else and elsewhere, probably on Youtube, saying that Nikon really doesn't care about it. What are your thoughts about Nikon and video? Does Nikon care?

=)

That's good music.

Good to hear. It'll be nice to see more clips and see what this D7000 can do. Any plans to shoot a video for The Kootz? Perhaps with your D7000?

As you've pointed out, there isn't much said about Nikon video on this forum or elsewhere. I recall reading someone else and elsewhere, probably on Youtube, saying that Nikon really doesn't care about it. What are your thoughts about Nikon and video? Does Nikon care?

=)

I believe Nikon cares about video in their cameras. The real question is do they care about their video from a filmmakers perspective. I also say yes to that but the definition of a filmmaker has changed. Before video there was "film" "real" and film cameras are full manual. The operator of the camera was in charge of the shot. With video, automatic video(that includes all video cameras and DSLR's that can shoot auto) the camera controls the shot and the operator points it in the right direction. Two very different shooting situations.

I own two Ultra16mm film cameras and like to shoot full manual, so I'm looking at the Nikon D7000 from it's full manual capabilities and yes Nikon has provided full manual control on the D7000 with one note, if you are using an auto focus lens without an exposure ring(f-stop ring) you have to set your f-stop before entering liveview. All lenses with an exposure ring can be set in liveview.

The next question is the ISO or with film the ASA. The highest film ASA at the moment is 500ASA so if you set the ISO 500 or under the D7000 looks great. Ok, you can push film in processing but it gets grainy. The same happens when shooting above 500ISO. Above 500 ISO the DSLR's are something different than a traditional film camera and the point and shoot capabilities of all the DSLR's work fine.

So what I'm looking for in my testing are the sweet spots from 500ISO and below with regard to lens, sensor, and compression performance.

Last edited:
Back