Short, fat, bald, toothless, no-ass old fart

New poster, old lurker. I've been sticking my nose in here for several years, keeping my ears open and my mouth shut. Back in the 80's I co-wrote and produced "Officer Survival' training films for the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department, 40-50 minute reenactments done with a production team of around 20-30 (all entertainment industry guild members who were also Reserved Deputies). I produced a couple of REALLY BAD music videos back in the days of 'tin foil wrapped around a camera stand' (think 'Flock of Seaguls'), worked in Equity Waiver theater in Los Angeles, and perfected my cynical style of magazine writing. Now that I'm old and retired and don't care if I look like a fool, I'm toying with the idea of getting involved in independent films. Almost all of my old friends and contacts are either retired or dead (sadly that's not just a figure of speech) so I'm pretty much on my own and starting the learning curve back at the bottom. Yes, I'm kind of old to be starting such an intensive pursuit, but I'll be just as old if I do nothing but sit on my ass and golf! Bald, big belly, red dot Cohiba sticking out of my mouth... TELL me I don't look the part of a producer!

Dad!
You can adopt me, I'm only 46! (or is it 47?, eh, cant recall anymore!)

This is an awesome old fogies hobby! Better than model trains! (though DCC is pretty freaking amazing!)

I used to live in Palm Springs! My brothers and I, along with dad, did a lot of tile and stone work there... Something you might have seen, being an old fart and all, is the Mizell Senior Center, we built that.

My advice, make your first 2 min film today! Get it done, get it out of the way. What ever camera you have, what ever resources you have right now, just get it done. It will suck.. so might as well get it over with fast!

I agree with Wheat - shoot something today!
What I shot on my cr@ppy cellphone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItD7KveY0-M

What will you be using for your new-beginner setup? Camera and video editing?
Just how far down the curve do you think you remain since you've been lurking here awhile?
I can't imagine it's by much.

Filmmaking is something a little more... engaging than golf.

Appreciate the warm welcome, Wheat. PS is definitely an 'interesting place and a cultural Mecca. I live down the street from Frank Sinatra's old house... the difference is that he lived there back in the 40's when the roads were still dirt. And saying 'Sinata's old house' is like saying 'George Washington slept here'... toss a rock in any direction and you'll hit one of his homes. But I used to live about 20m south of the Oregon Border in Yreka, and THAT was a cultural hole. About 2 years ago a tour bus heading to Ashland stopped in for snow chains, and I had TWO of the locals come up to me later and say that " some colored fellow who plays guitar stopped by." And had I ever heard of B.B. King? Stunningly beautiful country, good people (a tad slow), but not too worldly. Glad to be back in Southern California and have my jazz.

Back