• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Shooting on a black background macro shots

Not really a macro per-say.

I am trying to shoot a video demonstrating an accessory for an iPhone. I'm wanting to do it all on a black muslin background.

My problem, is even the slightest lint shows up on the muslin, no matter what I do. I guess I need more separation from the background using a shallower depth of field and pining the light exactly on the phone.

I've never tried shooting on black before. I've always done the infinite white look, which is pretty simple, and I figured black would be the same just the opposite side of the spectrum... not so. :blush:

Any tips?

I'm shooting with a 60d, can use a thrifty fifty f1.8 or f2.8 28-70 or a f2.8 70-200. I have 4 1500w softboxes. I am thinking I need something more aim-able. (barn doors)

I'm not looking to spend a million dollars on making a 30 second video clip, but I can spend some money as necessary. But I'd like to do it with what I have or can pick up at a local store like lowes, home depot, walmart. So I can get this done sooner then later.

Any advice?

If you had to shoot it on black, you'd want heaps of seperation between the background and the subject. You also want to light your subject a lot brighter than the background - light it 4 or more stops brighter and you're starting to get there. You also want to flag off light hitting the black background with whatever you have - generally flags, but barndoors can be used to shape the light a little.

It might be easier to shoot it on a green screen and then make the green black later.

Try narrowing your depth of field by opening up the aperture thus blurring the background "lint" into unnoticeable blurs.

Last edited:
You could also use black background paper, easily available at any camera shop, for the backdrop. I used a 9X36 foot roll ($60) for a recent shoot to wrap a weight lifting rack. It is available in 4 or 5 foot width as well.

It might be easier to shoot it on a green screen and then make the green black later.

I would probably disagree with this as you need a very good key and the highlighting never shows up the same. Of course I would suggest this as a backup by try to produce as close to possible in camera. Also when editing bump the contrast slightly and any seen backdrop will be more easily hidden

When I've done this sort of thing in the past, I've sometimes placed the object on a pane of glass, with the black background some distance away from it. You have to light it carefully to avoid reflections. A 12"X12" pane should only run you a few bucks, and also pick up a can of Dust-Off high-pressure air.

Back