shooting non-union/union in Fresno

I am a junior producer on a feature and we are doing first research on locations. The budget is 2M and we will be using SAG as the only union.

Has anyone shot in the Fresno area non-union? We are looking to shoot in the spring of 2013 and I'm doing a comparison on the costs of shooting in Fresno or shooting in a "right to work" state.

Thanks

RFranks

$2 million, huh? I'd seek an attorney or accountant specializing in film production, but you probably don't have the money yet. Check out the film commissions in the area you're thinking of shooting in.

Mentioning 'right to work state' in any film conversation, including here, would limit the number of potential supporters for your film.

At 2m you'd better have a great reason to pass up on the tax incentives elsewhere. Also be careful about widely announcing a non union shoot.

But to get to your questions... First... do you have a line producer?

$2 million, huh? I'd seek an attorney or accountant specializing in film production, but you probably don't have the money yet. Check out the film commissions in the area you're thinking of shooting in.

Mentioning 'right to work state' in any film conversation, including here, would limit the number of potential supporters for your film.

Not here. I live in a "right to work" state and would consider that as a MAJOR selling point for a potential filming location.

Gonzo, still, others will get turned off. If what you're saying about TN is true (if the state's film commission is touting that as an "advantage"), then I'm turned off about filmmaking in TN. No doubt others in the business will be too.

Don't think they make a huge deal about it. It's certainly a selling point to me as far as ANY business venture is concerned.

We get killed by the surrounding states (All right work states as well as almost the entire south is right to work) because we have a basically non-existent incentive program. The minimal program we did have ran out of money and I think they (the legislature) declined to replenish it.

Last edited:
I'll side with Gonzo in that not having to go union is a massive incentive for anyone on a budget. Even if that budget is still over $1,000,000.

Some may be turned away by advertising that, but producers and investors are typically looking at $$$ first so anything that saves them money and/or makes them more is going to be an incentive.

On productions here your technical crew (grips, gaffers, etc...) are usually going to be members of locals, but you could use non-union catering, drivers, construction, etc.. etc...

Not huge for people coming in from out of state to work, but we also have no state income tax.

I agree with Gonzo. I'd much rather work in a Right to Work state. Unfortunately some people are forced to pay $$ into something they don't believe in because of where they live.

Back