shooting in nights clubs

Hello to everyone:
I am a new member to indie talk, and I had a few questions. In Jan 06 I'm gonna start shooting a feature and my question was, how to I film in a night club? Do I add audio later? Do I use the music from the actual night club and put lavalier mics on my actors? Should it be silent and have my extras lip sync their convo's? or what? Somenone help me! Thanks

Depends on how much control you have over the environment. I'd want to have silence on the set, boom mics for each actor. I've tried to boom two actors at once and had spotty results, never again.

Lavs pick up way to much clothing movement and such, hard to hide, if actors are moving it presents lots of problems. You can alwasy do adr but so often that looks fake, actors have to be good to synch that up well. Pick up all the principle dialogue you can, have extras fake murmer and add that in post. I'd for sure add the music in post, it gives you more control over the levels.

In most "Behind-the-scenes" featurettes I've seen -- scenes of this type (night club, concert, school dance, etc) will shoot with silence in the room, capture the dialogue with boom mics, have extras jumping/dancing in a very free-form style (not to any specific beat), then add music afterwards in editing.

I was on a set today that was doing something like this.

It was in a classroom though, not nightclub.

The principal actors delivered their lines (boom mic'd), while roughly a dozen extras milling about held soundless conversations with each other.

I have to say... it looked very freaky. :cool:

sound

rockydm92 said:
Hello to everyone:
I am a new member to indie talk, and I had a few questions. In Jan 06 I'm gonna start shooting a feature and my question was, how to I film in a night club? Do I add audio later? Do I use the music from the actual night club and put lavalier mics on my actors? Should it be silent and have my extras lip sync their convo's? or what? Somenone help me! Thanks

Ah brother no worries.

dont know if you have seen the show The L Word but from time to time when I was working on the TV Show we had to shoot in clubs..

no sound i.e. no music have the actors talk then put in the music after in post.

smoke is also a good idea for inside a club, if you cant run the in house smoker get fog spray its just as good cost is about 10 bucks a can.

Keno lighting is also a good idea, what we would do is back light the crap out of the actors, give a real cool effect.

good luck
Jordan

It's funny to catch 2 actors try to pretend to carry on a dialog and talk over one another out of sequence.

But, Thats the best way to do it. Its been done that way for 30 plus years. No music, Just a muscial beat to whatever soundtrack you plan on using so everyone can move in squence and to have people pretend they're having a conversation in the background. No innteruptions.

Back