Shooting first movie

I'm shooting my first short on Saturday and a few people have asked if I needed any help with the crew. About how many people are usually needed on a small production like this one? (the movie will be about 5min long) I have myself as the director, the co-writer of the script is the d.o.p. and someone to hold the boom pole, is there anything I may be missing here?

'sup, good Jesse :cool:

It can be handy to have a few extra sets of hands.

Someone to help lug gear about, feed the meters, guard equipment, use the clapboard, hair-brushing before each take, drive to the store to get beer for everyone - there are all kinds of things.

You'll easily find tasks for one additional person... pop them into the credits as Production Assistant, and make their day. :)

Jesse -- let me offer a counter-argument. We made out first movie with two cameramen / co-directors and three actors. That's it. You don't need to have a whole crew in order to make a movie.

In comparison ... while making our latest movie, we have had more people around the "set" while taping. True, having extra hands has been helpful...it has also proved more challenging in having to deal with distractions.

My suggestion would be-- keep it to the minimum and try to get people who genuinely want to help (and not just hang out).

Back