• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Shooting fast motorcycles in the rain

I am trying to shoot a fast motorcycle on a track. However, at the moment, the most significant issue I have is rain. Our UK summer has been a washout and despite all these pronouncements about global warming, the biggest issue for my shooting is in the UK is somehow dealing with the cold and wet.

My challenge is I want to shoot a motorbike on a race track. I have a chap who is happy to let me film him, I am also going to turn up to a couple of race meetings to shoot some stuff and ask permission later.

However, track meets do not have any cover and I have absolutely no idea how to prepare a Sony VG10 so it is waterproof. My solution - cover it in Goretex is possibly a little tricky and sticking it in a plastic bag looks to be a terrible idea as I am guessing this will create condensation within the camera.

Does anyone have any experience of waterproofing a camera against steady, sustained rainfall?

I am trying to shoot a fast motorcycle on a track. However, at the moment, the most significant issue I have is rain. Our UK summer has been a washout and despite all these pronouncements about global warming, the biggest issue for my shooting is in the UK is somehow dealing with the cold and wet.

My challenge is I want to shoot a motorbike on a race track. I have a chap who is happy to let me film him, I am also going to turn up to a couple of race meetings to shoot some stuff and ask permission later.

However, track meets do not have any cover and I have absolutely no idea how to prepare a Sony VG10 so it is waterproof. My solution - cover it in Goretex is possibly a little tricky and sticking it in a plastic bag looks to be a terrible idea as I am guessing this will create condensation within the camera.

Does anyone have any experience of waterproofing a camera against steady, sustained rainfall?

You can buy camera rain covers in different sizes, the ones I use are transparent, with a zipper. It should fit all the way over your camera, with holes at both ends.

Back