Shooting a meeting...

I hope I posted in the correct area. I will be shooting a meeting in April for local tv and I want to ensure I have all my ducks lined up.

Its in a room with no windows (so far anyway) and I am not sure if there is audience participation or not.

I will have the camera on a tripod facing the talent. Talent will have wireless lav.
Lighting will be...whatever is there...Should I add a camera light or is that distracting to the speaker?

If there is audience questions...I will have a wireless mic to pass around and perhaps another camera that I can aim at the person asking the question.

The camera that will be focused on the talent is a Vixia HFs100. Second camera that I will use to focus on the audience will be some cheap 100 dollar camera that I have lying around.

What else is there? The local tv center just gives you stuff and says 'go for it'. I want this to look as pro as it can ... taking into consideration I have never done this before.

So if you can think of anything I should be aware of...let me know!

Thanks.

K.

Unless the speakers will be on a real stage with lots of lighting, definitely bring some lights. Check out paper lanterns (china balls) and 150w daylight bulbs. It's an inexpensive and effective solution. Hang them on either side of the speakers and one behind (above them, out of view.)

You're not going for art here so just get a nice even, soft light on there so you can properly expose your image.

If you have the chance, scout the location and do some test footage to get an idea of what you'll be working with.

I am waiting to find out exactly where this meeting will be held . But I believe right now it will be in an auditorum at the school where there is a stage.

If so then lighting should be okay there...I am wondering if I should (if it is in the auditorium) have one tripod camera on stage with the talent ?...but then I don't want it to get in the way or look silly just sitting there..and become another distraction.

Once I find out exactly where it is I will see if there is a way I can check it out.

...as for bringing lights...I will have to check them out...and if I can have access to this room beforehand I might try them on myself.

THanks.

K.

The auditorium is going to have a person that handles sound and lights. Do not touch his stuff!

But see if you can talk to him/her when you check out the location so you can see what lighting setup they'll use. Also to see if/how you can record directly from the sound board.

Thanks Dreadylocks! I am waiting for a response from the person holding the 'meeting' which it turns out is a little more than just a meeting! Apparently there is dancing too! Yes. A little bizzare and I cannot image what sort of meeting it is...I guess about dancing...I thought it was more of a town hall style meeting.

Anyway, I am thinking that perhaps the 'meeting' will be held in a classroom of the school rather than the audit.

How to set up sound for this 'meeting'

OKay so I will be videorecording a 'meeting' in town for local tv this spring. I thought it was just that, a meeting but it goes a bit beyond that as there is interaction between the speaker and audience and dancing too. I am not sure how dancing ties in but ah...well anyway...

So I will be using a beachtek that can allow two mics. (I also want to use another camera that I will handhold but not worried about sound from that camera as I will focus on sound from the main camera)

At first I was thking a lav mic for the speaker and a wireless hand held mic for the audience. When the person conducting the meeting informed me today that there will be more than one speaker AND audience participation and dancing...hmm...I was thinking what do I do? Use two hand held wireless mics or a boom mic and a hand held mic? But then, I don't want the boom mic showing up on any footage I take and how can I handle a boom mic while holding a camera at the same time...unless I put the second camera down for a second and hold a boom...

So I guess two wireless mics...

If I could, I would hand you a tylenol to take after reading this.

Any ideas would be greatful!

K

If you are going wireless TEST TEST and TEST again to insure you do not have static issues. Only the more expensive ones do even OK in many situations especially where there is lights.

Please give us a list in explicit detail what audio gear is available to you.

Please describe in excruciating detail the equipment being used in the venue and a description of the venue itself.

Specific camera makes and models.

What is your budget?

When is the meeting?

Thanks. Okay.

First this meeting is at the begining of April (I just found out about it a couple of days ago)

The first camera in use is a Canon Vixia Hfs100

I will get the rest of the info today...from the mics available to the specifics of this meeting...the person in charge of this meeting is suppose to email me details of what it is about and exactly where in the school it will held.

Thanks.

K

Setting up a meeting...audio...camera...

A meeting I will be videotaping for local tv will be held in April at the school. Though as yet it is unclear if it will be held in a classroom or an auditorim (where there are no windows).

The meeting is two hours long. Part of it is on toxins and part on health. It lists that it will teach participants to use certain tools to improve their health.
There is more than one speaker though unclear at this point how many speakers there will be.
The person holding the meeting stated that there may be dancing.

I have a Canon Vixia hfs100 that I want to set up on a tripod and keep it there. I have a wide angle lens on the camera. I was thinking of hand holding a second camera (much cheaper one but thats what I have) that I can focus in on certain persons.

The audio equiptment available is this: Sony utx b2 lav and a Sony utx h2 wireless

Beachtek with two outputs.

I don't think I could use the lav since there will be more than one speaker...without changing it...it sounds as though it will be class participation so I was thinking of two wireless mics. I would have even considered a boom but I don't think thats possible as I am working this alone...and I plan on hand holding a camera.

So I am trying to figure out the best set up for something like this...audio wise.

K.

Dxa-2t.

I am borrowing the equiptment from the local media center. Its not mine, except for the camera. This will be the first time I am doing something for someone else. I recieved an email from the local tv station stating that someone is holding a meeting at the school and they want someone to record it for tv.

I still don't know if its in the school auditorium (which as it was explained would not allow me to mess with any lights anyway).

However sound...its my concern. I originally thought the meeting was held by one person so I would loan out a lav mic...and have a wireless mic too if there are audience questions. Then I found out there is more than one speaker but as yet I haven't been informed how many more. So the lav is out. Two wireless mics...one for the speaker and one to toss around to the audience...then I was thinking a boom mic would be better...but I would be the one holding the boom when I wanted to hold a second camera.

I guess this will be one of those things that I will learn on the job...and learn what to ask and look for. In the end, its the editing that I am thinking about...putting it together...and making sure everyone is heard loud and clear...wanting a camera shot of the person asking the question and cut to the speaker.

Then I ws thinking would it better to walk around with the camea that has the main audio attached to it...the audio I would use in post and that way I would hear what is going on while walking around (two wireless mic's being passed around I guess)..and the second camera, the cheap one, would be on the tripod.

Thinking aloud too.

Then there is the dancing...

Last edited:
So, in other words, you won't tell us what camera you are using, you can't tell us what audio gear is available to you and you don't know where the meeting is going to be held, but you want advice on how to best capture sound.

banging_head.gif

banging_head.gif

Here are two quick possible solutions...

Most of these meetings will already have a sound system. That means the speakers will all have their own mics or use a podium; there will probably be an audience mic as well.

1. See if you can get a feed from that sound system and plug straight into your camera or an audio recorder.

If that's not possible...

2. Place a mic in directly in front of the PA speaker.

In either case you'll have to be there early enough to check your levels. Here's a tip - once you have set your levels drop them another 10% to 20%; the levels always seem to increase once the actual function begins. Or you can put a very hard ceiling on the limiter.

The dancing portion will probably end up as B-roll so the sound will not be quite as important; it will be your call whether to keep the direct feed or the mic on the PA speaker, or if you should just pick up ambient sound.

I thought I already posted the info on my camera and the mic...The camera is a Canon Vixia hfs 100 which is mine. The audio available is a Sony utx b2 lav and/or a Sony utx h2 wireless mic. I can use two lavs or two mics...or which ever. The second camera I will use which is alos mine will be a Samsun ois. It has no audio output.

I just recvd info from the person holding the meeting. It will be in a student classroom and the max amount of attendees will be 15 people.

15 ppl sounds pretty managable. I could hand a wireless mic to someone if they have to ask a question and the speaker can have a wireless too.

As for the dancing...yeah...thats going to have to just be one of those I will see when it happens because I don't know if its a case of turning a cd on and dancing to music or dancing to no music.

I am at somepoint going to see if I can check the actual classroom out first...it maybe a room with big windows with the sun glaring in...

Its amazing all the things you don't think of in a situation like this....

Back