Set Construction

I think I referenced that I am building a fallout shelter using a 12 X 25 U-STOR-IT space as a soundstage. here are a few photos. It's actually progressed beyond this now. We have dressed the walls with watered down drywall mud, and are ready to paint. The blue tape marks the foot print of furniture and props.

Back to front, note the oval door opening for the fake ship's type door with a wheel lock we have built.

l_5efb91af1c0d4c9a88a73debca7c3df7.jpg

Panned right from previous

l_0b5630d9823b4b2e9069ccd3c57ebe9d.jpg

Panned left

l_9c043d3e6a5e4bff9a7686063376a9e6.jpg

Front to back. That hole is covered by a stack of boxes that can be moved to position camera behind the wall.

l_6d21f2c546db46b5b864e17e58242931.jpg

High angle "Big Brother" shot that we will use a bit (because of the confined space).

l_88a17bcff8994fee89688c398bb0efb8.jpg

The walls are 8' high, so we can look down from above them into the room. Construction cost including paint to finish about $450.

We converted one of our EXILE sets into a fallout shelter, for our 48 Hour Film, A BIT OF A FALLING OUT.

Fallout.jpg

In fact, this is still in our garage, 3 years later! My mom was visiting, so I slept out there for a couple of nights, this week.

I think $450 is great for your set!! Seems like a cool idea.

Last edited:
looks amazing.. great light.

The lettering on the boxes makes me want to read every box.. which pulls my attention away from the subjects. Is it too late to tone them down a bit.. maybe just a light coat of flat cardboard colored paint. semi-opaque ...???

I disagree...I imagine if your eye were drawn to the boxes, the performances would draw your eye right back. I think they work great. I have no idea what your story is, but I can imagine being locked in there, for all eternity, and that's what you have to look at and read...over...and over...and over again. Madness, claustrophobic. Excellent.

The intent of the boxes is somewhat stylized, surreal. The room is 12' X 15, with all the dressing in there it's VERY small. Needless to say shooting was a challenge. 18 pages took 3 X 14 hour days. The premise is a man alone in that shelter in a post apocalypitic world. The reason for the destruction is never explicitly given, only hinted at (H.P. Lovecraft elements). In his lonleness he lets a young girl in, but she is still so tied to the world outsiode she can't forget her friends and familty that may still be alive, while he is totally disconnected and fairly content in his little world. At the end he convinces her that he has reconnected and wants to help her find other people. It's alll the ruse to get her near the door sho he can throw her out and lock the door behind her.

looks amazing.. great light.

The lettering on the boxes makes me want to read every box.. which pulls my attention away from the subjects. Is it too late to tone them down a bit.. maybe just a light coat of flat cardboard colored paint. semi-opaque ...???

I am going to have to agree here. However I do believe that Gonzo's lighting scheme is designed so that only the center of the room is lit well and then starts to fall off. In this case there is just enough light to kind of show the words on the boxes. Unless the actual production stills are the actual shots and not rehearsals. Then I would fully agree.

Also that gallon of milk on the table seems really out of place. Seems like it should be an old glass thing of milk. But again if these are just rehearsals then this may be a moot point.

Nice work...but if you were going to go through all that...why not just build it in your backyard and forgo the expense of rental and having to go to the expense of scrapping the set...you could use it as a shed?

Back