• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Selling?

How do you go about trying to sell a screen play once you've finished writing it? This part of the process(and while I realize selling them isn't exactly part of the process) has always sort of eluded me.

Google "new york screenplay agent."

Start reviewing the result websites for each agent, contact them for what they need to consider reviewing your screenplay, (one word, not two.)

Be prepared for outright rejection.
Be prepared to accept that in order for them to market your screenplay to director/producers that they know what their director/producer contacts are looking for in genre and production capacity. It's an experience in the biz thing.
This means you must be prepared to rewrite the screenplay to accomodate the production and interest limitations of their contacts should any of theirs show interest, likely BEFORE any of them show interest. Again, trust the agent's experience in the biz of marketing screenplays.

Understand that all everyone is looking for is "good bones" to the story.
The fine details are irrelevant and subject to change due to all sorts of reasons from script to screen.
Just do what is asked with little quarrel in order to sell it.
Get over it/yourself.
Change character genders. Change locations. Change occupations. Change genres.

Bones. Bones. Bones.
That's all anyone is really looking for.

Last edited:
The chances of making a straight up sale are miniscule but you'll need an agent, that's the first hurdle. Then they need to actually get interested parties which is obviously the biggest challenge if you're an unproven name. This site will keep you updated on all spec news http://gointothestory.blcklst.com/category/spec-script-sales this will help if you're trying to follow trends and make a sale but I wouldn't advise it. Write what you want and you'll get better results. It could impress people and land you work or you could try and make it outside of the studios.

Back