• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Seeking writer for video game

I am looking for a writer to work with me on a adventure-game.
Adventure games belong to a genre where clever writing and interesting characters make all the difference. Dialogues play a vital part too.
I am willing to pay for your hard work.
Please contact me if you are interested and I'll give you all the info about the project.

Miguel

What kind of game?
- 2D, 3D?

What engine?

Do you have a full team already, besides the writer? Are you looking for one?

What's your goal for the game?

I work with game makers all the time, I write music for games you see. I'm also an elected admin on a popular game making forum. All these questions are very relevant if you're looking to hire someone/build a team.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi MetalRenard,

the game is 2D, and I work with AGS.
Yes I am looking for a writer as the title and the content of my post implies.
The rest of the team will be assembled if and when I find a writer. I also belong in a community of game makers since 2003 and have some good people willing to take part.
As for the music in the game, there are some amateur musicians who I know that would kindly join the crew but if you are interested please contact me.
Thanks

I'd be interested so send me a PM, mentioning your rates of pay and I'll e-mail you a screenplay as a sample of work if I like what you're saying.

I'm guessing that you're referring to RPGs (Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy) when you go on about good characters and dialogue (even though most of the time in RPGs, these suck), because even handheld adventure games are in 3D worlds nowadays.

By "3D", I trust that you mean the game world can be viewed ala Tomb Raider, not "flat" like Street Fighter (2D).

To save everybody time, it's important that you understand that no writer who's any good will work for free, and most - self included - are not prepared to write on a deferred payment deal.
A good writer will demand money up front (to at least cover living expenses whilst composing the work (around 10-20% of the total pay), albeit, you may have to fork out the full amount, with re-writes costing you extra).

If you cannot afford to meet these financial demands, you'd best advertise on gaming forums with the hope of finding a few talented fan-boys.
This is just a harsh reality when we all have bills to pay.

"To save everybody time, it's important that you understand that no writer who's any good will work for free" This goes for pretty much anything, music too. :)

And yes, I would be interested if the music job is paid too. If that's the case then I'll send you an e-mail with details of my previous work and samples.
I write too, but I prefer to stick to the music side of things. In my experience, it's better to wait a bit until you have a solid base before hiring a composer though. You need a workable demo with at least a portion of the artwork finished and a finalised story.

I'd be interested so send me a PM, mentioning your rates of pay and I'll e-mail you a screenplay as a sample of work if I like what you're saying.

I'm guessing that you're referring to RPGs (Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy) when you go on about good characters and dialogue (even though most of the time in RPGs, these suck), because even handheld adventure games are in 3D worlds nowadays.

By "3D", I trust that you mean the game world can be viewed ala Tomb Raider, not "flat" like Street Fighter (2D).

To save everybody time, it's important that you understand that no writer who's any good will work for free, and most - self included - are not prepared to write on a deferred payment deal.
A good writer will demand money up front (to at least cover living expenses whilst composing the work (around 10-20% of the total pay), albeit, you may have to fork out the full amount, with re-writes costing you extra).

If you cannot afford to meet these financial demands, you'd best advertise on gaming forums with the hope of finding a few talented fan-boys.
This is just a harsh reality when we all have bills to pay.

Thanks for your reply,
I believe that your expertise would not fit what I have in mind because the genre in cause is not RPG, it is point&click adventure games (Grim Fandango, Monkey Island series,etc...). In this genres the writing is 90% of what the players are seeking, and I do agree that only a few RPG's have good writing.
You probably didn't read my previous post because I wrote 2D, not 3D. So, yes, it's flat...
To save everybody time, I will not pay up front.
Thanks for you kind advice and time lost not even reading my posts.

"To save everybody time, it's important that you understand that no writer who's any good will work for free" This goes for pretty much anything, music too. :)

And yes, I would be interested if the music job is paid too. If that's the case then I'll send you an e-mail with details of my previous work and samples.
I write too, but I prefer to stick to the music side of things. In my experience, it's better to wait a bit until you have a solid base before hiring a composer though. You need a workable demo with at least a portion of the artwork finished and a finalised story.

Thanks, but I'm looking for a writer, not a musician.

Ok. I was just replying to what you said here:
As for the music in the game, there are some amateur musicians who I know that would kindly join the crew but if you are interested please contact me.
And besides, I'm no amateur.

Anyway. Good luck.

I know that it's the internet and a lot of dicks try to start things I can't even be bothered with, but in this case...
Thanks for you kind advice and time lost not even reading my posts.
You can fvck right off.

Edited to point out:
I am looking for a writer to work with me on a adventure-game.
Adventure games belong to a genre where clever writing and interesting characters make all the difference. Dialogues play a vital part too.
I am willing to pay for your hard work.
Nowhere here did he explain that it was a point-and-click, like Myst. Also, 2D and 3D are often confused by gamers, so for clarity, I had to check that we were on the same page.
Oh, and you NEVER once mentioned that you wouldn't pay up front, hence my asking.

For what it's worth, you also may want to change your attitude, because nobody ever wants to work with an arse-hat.

EDIT: I just wanted to come back and say, that if I read your response wrongly, and that you were not being a sarcastic dick, I apologise.

Last edited:
I know that it's the internet and a lot of dicks try to start things I can't even be bothered with, but in this case...

You can fvck right off.

Edited to point out:

Nowhere here did he explain that it was a point-and-click, like Myst. Also, 2D and 3D are often confused by gamers, so for clarity, I had to check that we were on the same page.
Oh, and you NEVER once mentioned that you wouldn't pay up front, hence my asking.

For what it's worth, you also may want to change your attitude, because nobody ever wants to work with an arse-hat.

EDIT: I just wanted to come back and say, that if I read your response wrongly, and that you were not being a sarcastic dick, I apologise.

You can also fvck right off.
I clearly mentioned that it was 2D so when you ask if it was 2D or 3D then it means you didn't even read it. When you asked if it was a RPG I replied politely that it wasn't and was in fact a point&click game. So, go walk the dog or something.
As for attitude, you are one of those guys that need some approval from the people here and therefore come bashing someone new around. It happens a lot. If you had more to do in your life you would not bother to reply if my thread did not interest you. Pure and simple.
And, since your problem is money, you should know that financial issues should be dealt private, and you should not think ahead that person A or person B are willing to pay you what your need to pay bills. It is not my concern that you pay bills and I don't want to pay them.
Please don't answer back, just chose another victim for your frustrations.

You can also fvck right off.
I clearly mentioned that it was 2D so when you ask if it was 2D or 3D then it means you didn't even read it. When you asked if it was a RPG I replied politely that it wasn't and was in fact a point&click game. So, go walk the dog or something.
As for attitude, you are one of those guys that need some approval from the people here and therefore come bashing someone new around. It happens a lot. If you had more to do in your life you would not bother to reply if my thread did not interest you. Pure and simple.
And, since your problem is money, you should know that financial issues should be dealt private, and you should not think ahead that person A or person B are willing to pay you what your need to pay bills. It is not my concern that you pay bills and I don't want to pay them.
Please don't answer back, just chose another victim for your frustrations.

"Please don't answer back (because I'm a pussy)".

As someone who enjoys to play a good game, writing one - or on one - is something that appeals to me. I could earn tonnes of cash as a banker, but writing for a computer game would be more appealing.

I'm not sure where my "approval" has to come from when I asked a couple of simple questions and you turned into a dick head. Actually, I even apologised in advance should I have misconstrued, but your above post proves that you're a dick. Plain and simple.

As for "money troubles": if you can't afford to pay a writer the advertised sum, then it's YOU who has the financial difficulties.
What, you really expect someone to come on board, type at their keyboard for weeks - if not months - without cash up front?
Hey, this isn't MY passion project, it's just something I maybe would have liked to have done.

And most of my questions were as much to fill in the blanks for anyone else interested as they were for me.
A pity then that the additional information you gave out to others here is: I, miguel_adventure_game, am an arrogant, bullsh1t-talking fvcktard and none of you ever want to work with me.

Good luck with the writing.

Last edited:
Hi Miguel,

I am not offering my services, but simply apologising for the amount of juvenile posts this forum has provided for you. Please ignore these idiots and do not let their elitism dampen your spirits.

Might i suggest you try posting on a screenwriting forum, to cut down on the amount of people trying to make a fast buck. There are a lot of filmmakers that seem to think having made a 5 minute short constitues for credibility as a writer.

I wish you good luck in your development, many fantastic games have surfaced from the AGS scene.

I'm not being silly or elitist. :)
I offered nice friendly advice. I'm not happy about where the conversation went either... Actually NathanH that's good advice too - maybe a screen writing forum or simply a creative writing forum would be the place to look.

Hi Miguel,

I am not offering my services, but simply apologising for the amount of juvenile posts this forum has provided for you. Please ignore these idiots and do not let their elitism dampen your spirits.

Might i suggest you try posting on a screenwriting forum, to cut down on the amount of people trying to make a fast buck. There are a lot of filmmakers that seem to think having made a 5 minute short constitues for credibility as a writer.

I wish you good luck in your development, many fantastic games have surfaced from the AGS scene.

It's okay Nathan, I may be new on indietalk but have been around forums for long enough to detect and know who the trolls are. Sometimes they go undercover and dress the moderator robe even if they aren't one.
I do seek writers on screenwritting forums and even writer forums but am happy to have found good and interested people here on indietalk that are willing to work with me. Nothing is sealed and agreed as I first show what I need from the writers and they take their time to find if it interest them. Money comes later and if me and the writer agree on the project.
Nathan, I see that you're into the AGS scene, god bless you, and thanks again.

I'm not being silly or elitist. :)
I offered nice friendly advice. I'm not happy about where the conversation went either... Actually NathanH that's good advice too - maybe a screen writing forum or simply a creative writing forum would be the place to look.

Me neither, I do apologise, I'm not that kind of person and really don't have the time to answer or throw insults on the internet.
Advice taken and I didn't want to call you a amateur even if I have great respect for amateur artists.
Take care.

Back