• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Seeking investors for Independent Film

I can only say little about the film now, but it will be shot in late may of 2006 little money is required to do this film, if interested please contact me for the script.

An investor is going to more interested in legal matters than in the script.

Do you have a business plan?
Do you have an LLC or DBA?
Do you have a line item budget?

I'd like to take at look at these things first. If you are ready to legally solicit money then we can talk about the script.

Can you at least mention the genre and grand total?

Ok Ik............

Total amount to make this film will be less than 10k, Only enough to cover the rental fees of camera and to pay a sound and editing crew. This is going to be a film for me and the rest of my crew I already have, Actors, B&S lighting of IL to get our names out in the world.

If you want to know more about the story I will arrange a private phone call or meeting that we will talk about the context of the film.

The story is complete original. From my sick and twisted mind. If you like Horror/Suspense/Thriller then you will love this movie.

And like I said I got offered quit a big sum for the script. More than it will take to make it. But this film is mine and I want to keep it that way. It is Final Draft and Copyrighted. ready to be filmed.

But I am still a newbie and need lots of guidence and help doing this. thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Directorik is right. A business plan is a must. No offense but your response isn't sufficient. It looks haphazard and implies you don't care much about the project.

Take some time and write a business plan. Include information about your company and previous projects, you and previous experience as well as information about other cast and crew. Give a brief synopsis of the story. Break down the budget. Explain why this story needs to be told. And, most importantly, explain HOW you anticipate the investors making their money back. (Also include what their return will be.)

These are just a few things that are musts in any film business plan. Don't rush it. Take your time. Make sure it's perfect.

And like I said I got offered quit a big sum for the script.

Will people please stop writing things like this. If it's true that you were offered big money for your screenplay and you turned it down, then you're a damn fool. Anyone who can write a great screenplay can write another and the money from the sale would have financed your second picture. If you'd taken the money you'd have an optioned film, which is always good for the career, and production money.

Secondly, if it isn't true, it's a lie that doesn't help your cause. People are not going to throw money at your project just because you say someone offered big cash for the script. They're going to fund it because you understand the business, you have a business plan, you understand the legal requirements to make the film, you've evidence that you can actually deliver (showreel) and finally because the script rocks.

I just wish people would stop scamming and get on with learning how to do business in this industry.

Sorry to sound off about this, but I'd hate to believe that somewhere out there there is an island full of congenital idiots throwing money at every dreadful screenplay written and that I didn't have address. I have dreadful screenplays of my own and I need the money.

Actually, give me the address of these guys who offered you big money and a quick explanation about why they did make you an offer; after I've pitched and sold a screenplay to them, to take the place in their slate that is vacant due to your turning down thier offer, I'll GIVE you half your production budget as commission.

Last edited:
I am new--but that sounds crazy

An investor would be more interested in the legal matters than the script??

I have been reading some scripts lately and 99% are junk. Even some highly touted scripts. You mean to tell me the investors look at the financials before they look at the script? That means they would spend 20 years looking to match them both up.

I don't know anything about financials or promoting a film or script---

I wrote a story that people read and before they are halfway through, they call and say "this would make a fantastic movie". How do I get a money person to read it before the financials--If they like the financials and they hate the script??? whats the purpose---

I have a fantastic script and nothing else. How do I get the money people to read it.

F

A film maker who doesn't know how to deliver the right contractual bundle doesn't have product to sell.

I wrote a story that people read and before they are halfway through, they call and say "this would make a fantastic movie". How do I get a money person to read it before the financials--If they like the financials and they hate the script??? whats the purpose---

The problem isn't about the script or getting money people invloved it's about what role people want to take in the production of the movie.

If you're a screenwriter you need to match your screenplay to a producer who is willing to pull the film together. The producer creates the budgets, finds the money and hires a director to make the film. The producer also sell the final product.

The problem with many indie film makers is they think that because they have a great script that means that they have the skills to be a producer. They don't understand that why the fact that they've written a good script doesn't qualify them to control the whole product.

A good writer doesn't automatically make a good director; a good writer almost never makes a good producer. And whilst I'm beating this drum, having a good idea for a film doesn't make someone a good writer. The really sad news is that being a goiod writer also doesn't guarantee sucess.

Film is a high risk business, so an investor wants to cut the risk as much as possible. So, bareing that in mind, why should an investor put money onto a production company's film if they can't prepare a budget, a marketing strategy and demonstrate the ability to protect the investors money by understanding the legal complexities of production? Sure a good script will excite an investor, but they are going to want a proven producer and director to make the product.

If you've got a good script, package it up and sell it. Get it out there, get an agent, build a reputation for the ting you're good at. Then learn the trade and if you aspire to direct make shorts, win some festivals, make an ultra low budget feature with your own money and prove you can do it. Then maybe an investor will give you the backing to produce/write and direct your own film. It will take years, but that is how it is done.

If can't stand the though of doing that, then learn how to make no budget films and stop keep control that way, build a reputation for turning out good product and making money.

I don't mean to rant about this but everyone wants to keep creative control these days without earning the right to do that. Whatever happened to people who were writers and knew that that was enough?

I am a writer--nothing else

I know every one whose has ever written anything, thinks they are talented. Guess what--I am one of them. I think I wrote something unique--for its humor and for the "fear factor".

I don't want tp produce it--finance it (can't)---I wrote it--now I want the people who can run with it to read it--thats all

Fritzl said:
I don't want tp produce it--finance it (can't)---I wrote it--now I want the people who can run with it to read it--thats all

Fritzl -- then you are asking for something different than what Ed Hazel (the originator of this thread) is asking about. Ed Hazel wants to know how to gain financing to produce a movie based on the script he wrote. Since this thread was started by Ed Hazel, I think (in fairness) we should direct the conversation back to Ed's orginal question. But Fritz, you can certainly start your own thread about selling your script. I would suggest, though, that you do a forum search on this topic...since I can recall quite a few other writers who have already asked your question on these boards. There are plenty of responses in there that might be helpful to you.

Fritzl said:
I should have been a little more clear. While many people use the internet to seek investors, that really isn't the best method - in some cases it is actually illegal. The first thing an investor needs to know is if the business end is in place.

Of course the script is more important. But it doesn't make sense for a legit investor to find a great script only to find out later that the individual or prodCo soliciting the investment isn't actually ready to enter a business arraignment.

I mean no offense to Ed, but this project doesn’t seem to be ready to go. Only one of the four questions I asked were answered.
Ed_Hazel said:
And like I said I got offered quit a big sum for the script. More than it will take to make it. But this film is mine and I want to keep it that way.
I looked at your previous post and don’t see where you said this before. I tend to side with clive on this - your claim smells fishy to me. I might be wrong - I often am, but turning down a big sum for the script isn’t good business.

Maybe the prodCo that offered you the big sum would be interested in a co-production.

stick to what you know

These questions need to be answered:

Do you have a business plan?
Do you have an LLC or DBA?
Do you have a line item budget?

From your non-answers I am assuming that they are all a "no"

If YOU are going to produce this yourself with money from an investor you will have to create a Production Company. To protect you legally it is best to make it a Limited Liability Corporation (LLC) to cover your A$$ if someone decides to sue you.

If you want money from me or any other investor they will want to see a business plan. I'm actually writing one right now. They are not easy to write and it makes you think real hard about your business, which will be the production company. You have to be REALISTIC in what you have to say in your plan. It needs to cover everything from a mission statement, overall goals, research on competition, marketing, plan to MAKE MONEY and more. Some people create 1 LLC per film. This means that if they are sued, only the film will be sued. If your LLC makes 5 films then all 5 could be in jeopardy if you're sued. Me, I have 1 LLC but I also make sure that I get ALL my releases signed from cast, crew, and location. It's a risk that I'm willing to accept right now.

Line item budget, yes If I'm giving you $100,000 or $10,000 or $1,000 I want to know how you're spending the money. As an investor, I NEED to know how I will get my money back, with interest. Investors invest to make a Return On their Investment (ROI).

If I read the script and I think it's the best thing since peanut butter that's one BIG PLUS!

If I read your business plan and don't believe that you can operate your business in that fashion, then you're not getting my money.

If I check out the budget and it seems wierd, you're not getting my money.

BUT, that may not be the end of it... If I love the script, I may offer to buy it, or be the exec producer as long as I choose the production company. It's all in your deal.

Here are some questions that are really important: Do you really have the talent and skill to make your film the way you think it should be done? It's your "baby" right? Would you want someone inexperienced to handle it? I personally have a baby that's sitting on a shelf waiting for my skill and money to acrue to a point where I feel comfortable making it myself.

If you want to make a feature film, I would suggest you make some shorts first. You may be an excellent writer, but are you a director? Are you a DP? You should stick to what you know, and let others do the things you're not skillful in. I guess that's what a production company is all about... but, do you think you can manage the entire production staff? Can you be the producer?

CootDog has it pretty much nailed. Although most investors don't care much for the budget breakdown it's still good practice to include it. This way they can see exactly where the money is going. More than likely they won't understand it anyway but allowing them to see numbers makes them more trusting as they feel you have nothing to hide. Basically you want to beat any question to the punch so that means including as much as possible in the business plan.

I said it previously and I'll say it again: make sure to tell the investor what THEIR return will be and HOW you plan on making THEM money. When it comes to the investor they care about one thing: a product they like that will succeed to make them money. Bottom line.

Sorry that I offened anyone or got anyone stirred up on why I did not sell my script. IT DOESN"T MATTER TO YOU! like I said, I want no finacial gain for this movie, this is my movie. and remember I am still a newbie as far as I am concerned. I thank everyone for the kind reply's that will help towards the foundations of this production, and as for the people that call me a liar, I don't take to kindly to that so please don't speak to me no more. I am sorry that I have started any problems on the board. As for the future I will take all these matters more seriously before I post. I am also sorry for the sin of envy, but don't envy me because someone offered to buy my script. I have sold lots of my writting in the past, But like I said this is mine, and some things you just must keep that way. Thanks again for all of your guys time and concern

Ed Hazel aka Bumpkin Junkland

Why don't you write another script and sell it to those investors to make your production budget?

EDIT: Oh, that's pretty much a paraphrase to what Clive said earlier.

I don't think anyone was offended by your statements. If you are asking for funding, whether you retain creative control or not, the investor needs to be guaranteed a return on thier investement. It's just business.

I fully understand you wanting to retain control over the script and the production thereof, but experience has taught many of the people on this board that mentioning previous purchase attempts doesn't help you get funding now. It's intended to be constructive criticism, not a derision.

As a business owner in the past, the bottom line is always ROI (return on investment)...period. Without it, you won't find investors.

Even if the thing is only a break even prospect, the investor will want to know what's happening with their money. It will help you to seek that funding if you are able to present not only the story in the format of a pitch or a logline (many threads here on that topic), but also a detailed account of where the money will go. $1000 for food, $500 for gas, $2500 for camera rental, $5000 for stock and developing, etc...Investors will expect to see this, especially ones who know the movie industry.

They will also want to know how much you've set aside for promotion and distribution, and your intentions for how you will distribute. I think many of the folks on here have been bit in the backside by the "business" of filmmaking once or twice. I know I came in thinking I could get away with just tape stock for my feature...I hadn't even considered that festivals have entry fees which need to be considered part of the budget.

I personally don't know anyone willing to throw $10k at a purely artistic endeavor. I'd love to live in a world where this is possible, but i've never seen it personally. If you do find someone who is willing to fund this you on this film...I wish you the best on it. Otherwise, research what it would take to turn the film into it's own business entity and do the leg work to make your dream reality. This is the information that most new filmmakers have to learn the hard way. Most of the harsh reactions you've gotten on this thread are specifically because they've been bitten by the business end of the industry. They honestly don't want you to make the same mistakes they had to learn from the hard way.

Thanks knightly, I do understand that you all want me to learn from your mistakes. But I still have the script for anyone with experience can look at. Finding out a budget for the film will come in the later months.

Ed_Hazel said:
I thank everyone for the kind reply's that will help towards the foundations of this production, and as for the people that call me a liar, I don't take to kindly to that so please don't speak to me no more.
Am I one of the people you don't want to speak to no more? If so, I will respect your request.

Am I one of the people you don't want to speak to no more? If so, I will respect your request.

I think he means me rik. However, I only implied he was a liar; I did call him a damn fool though. ... and I was quite sarcastic. That's what happens when you're overcome with envy though; it drives you mad.

Last edited:
Ed_Hazel said:
I want no finacial gain for this movie, this is my movie.
Ed Hazel aka Bumpkin Junkland

The problem with that statement is that it seems like you just want to make the movie but aren't thinking about what happens after it's made. An investor will want to know your marketing plan so they can get ROI. Without that I don't think you will find an investor.

What sort of equipment do you need to rent?

What about finding someone in IL that is willing to be cinepatographer with their own cam?

and an editor that's willing to use their own equipment?

That will cut the budget considerably:yes:

CootDog said:
That will cut the budget considerably:yes:

Depending on how new his computer is he probably could cut the film himself to really cut down on the budget. With both OS X and Windows XP coming with basic video editors, downloading Avids free editor (available for Windows or Mac) or buying a more professional NLE such as Final Cut Express, there are a lot of options to cut down on post-production cost.

Of course, if he wants to go this route he should probably have some sort of editing reel to show investors if asked.

Back