Second Round of Auditions

sfoster

Staff Member
Oh would I appreciate a line producer right about now.
Over 50 auditions coming up.. i've contacted about half the applicants now and scheduled times.

A couple people look a little older even though they may be in the age range I requested. I don't want to tell them that though, seems rude.

What do you think I should say? I want to at least say thanks for your interest but no thanks in some polite way instead of ignoring them.

What would/do you do?

I'll give you two versions: One serious and one funny! :lol: I can say something like "now, on to more important news, Kim Kardashian tweeted....."

you can do two but I know which one would end up being used :lol:
the hospital explosion being revealed leads to a very dramatic moment

So of course the friend who begged me to be in episode 2 and who I delayed the filming for while he was out of the country just backed out on me now that he is back in the u.s.

Not a huge deal except that he was in the nice cover photo I took with the whole cast together. Oh well.

I posted an AD and these people all responded.

Also some sent video links and I didn't get a good vibe from their acting in the work. Do you think I should audition them anyway or is that a waste of everyones time?

I'm speaking to you as an actor, and as a director and somebody who has cast films as well.

If somebody is sending you a link to their work, then I am assuming they are sending you a link to stuff they think is showing them to you in the best way they can. Now, if you are watching this and you are not really digging their ability or talent, then I'm not sure you are going to see anything different in an audition.

So, I wouldn't take the time to audition them. You would most likely be wasting your time and theirs. There are exceptions though. For instance, they may just really have a great look and you want to at least give them a try because you just don't have a deep pool of candidates for that role. Of course, there is always the chance that they can stun you in the audition all of a sudden, but if you have a bunch of eligible people you don't need to have them in.

Look at it this way, you have one talented person who sent you their work and it was so good you almost have cast her! That's a great feeling by the way, so enjoy it.

First weekend is done!!! One more time next saturday.

Here is the interesting bit… First round of auditions was not advertise as paid. We had one no-show.

Second round of auditions, paying between $100-$200 for each role.
Out of 14 auditions scheduled today we had 6 no shows. whaaat? Isn't that backwards, paying for roles shouldn't result in such a huge spike of no-shows.

I don't feel like calculating the totals from yesterday, it's been a long weekend and my dog and I just chased a turkey. What the hell was a turkey doing in my front yard, it makes no sense. I don't live in the country.

Also IDK if I said this or not but there was a lot less interest in the lead role. Most of the guys were applying for the supporting role instead.

So many applications for the girlfriend.. wow.
I think my next project is going to be a female ensemble. That seems to be where most of the talent is in this area. Maybe something like kill bill.

Last edited:
I must say though, it's really awesome to spend a weekend directing actors. I've still yet to direct a scene with two talented actors together in it.

I'm looking forward to that day. And it will happen soon.
I think I'm going to do callbacks for the girlfriend once the lead is chosen. Then we can find out what girl has the best chemistry with him.

So many applications for the girlfriend.. wow.
I think my next project is going to be a female ensemble. That seems to be where most of the talent is in this area.

There are more actresses than actors overall. So yes you could definitely put together a good female ensemble more easily than a good male ensemble.

How do you find that process? I personally prefer to be able to focus on what I need to do. Observe, direct and start the selection process. I also believe it's important to film the process.

It would be better with someone else acting so I could just observe.
Sometimes I had to do the scene twice before I knew how to fix it.

On the other hand, I needed the acting practice. I'm supposed to star in one of my shorts soon. :lol:

In the end I think it comes down to what the camera sees, would you agree with that?

It would be better with someone else acting so I could just observe.
Sometimes I had to do the scene twice before I knew how to fix it.

I suppose on one hand I'm lucky that I don't have to contend with that. I've known for a long time, having me in front of the camera would be generously described as tragic.

In the end I think it comes down to what the camera sees, would you agree with that?

I don't think it's quite as simple as that, but you're right. One consideration is how they look on screen. There are people who the camera loves and others who the camera just hates. You don't always see it until you watch the footage. There are other both tangible and non-tangible considerations. Another big consideration (at least for me) is whether you feel you can effectively work with them and whether you feel they can trust you.

Another big consideration (at least for me) is whether you feel you can effectively work with them and whether you feel they can trust you.

I agree with that, although it's not as high on my list for roles that I'll only be working with a single day.

This low budget stuff should be enjoyable though!
That's part of the appeal

The most important thing is to determine is what is most important for you. If it's not high on your list, that's great. You've thought about it and decided where trust belongs on your scale of importance. It's exactly where you need to be.

For me, if time is limited, which often happens on one (up to 4) day shoots, I personally value the trust element. Taking the time to explain why you need this or that adjustment to those who don't trust you, I find can push you behind schedule. On small shoots, time is often a luxury you don't always have.

It doesn't mean what's right for me is right for you. You need to develop your own style and work out the parameters you need to best fill your needs.

In the end, it's just a process of determining who is best for your project. You as the director is an important part of the project, you need to surround yourself with people who add to your process, not detract. Each project will have different needs. I have to admit, I haven't thought about all the skills/attributes I want from each person. Sometimes it just comes down to a gut feeling.

Back