Script Vs. Presentation?

**Read before answering***

I have seen many movies with miscues with the dialogue, but what kept me intrigued was the way in which it was acted and shot. Many of Kubrick films (At least in my opinion) had a flat script, but what kept me intrigued was the way in which his films were shot and acted since the camera alone, can present its own story in and of itself. So the camera can tell more about the story than what is being said in the script which makes movies different from books.

I've also heard that most people don't even pay attention to what is being said, our minds pay attention to how it is being said. Audiences seem to be manipulated by the power of the speaker rather than his speech, but again this is just my opinion.

So do you think a flat script, if presented with great acting, fantastic cinematography that supports the story, would create a real/believable atmosphere for the viewer?

What are your opinions?

Last edited:
theres different kind of bad scripts.. a bad story is going to be bad i think no matter what you do.

bad dialogue can be overcome with delivery.. most great actors will improv and change your crappy dialogue anyway if they need to

i agree, i think that cinematography and delivery are a big part of making the film interesting and in some cases can save a bad script, but it only stretches so far. Even some really great actors may not be able to save a terrible story with improv

In acting classes, one of the exercises is for two actors/students to act out a scene in which they can only use a single word of dialog to convey the full range of human emotion. The students are given a brief background on their character and their motivation in the scene then told what the only word they can use is. It is a very interesting exercise.

So do you think a flat script, if presented with great acting, fantastic cinematography that supports the story, would create a real/believable atmosphere for the viewer?

Could, yes. Would/will, not necessarily. The real question, why would you want to start with a flat script in the first place? To me, it just makes very little sense.

It is possible. However, highly unlikely to become mainstream type of film. The real question is can you make it work?

Back