• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Script in other languages

As I'm writing it in my language (not english), I can't determine how I format my script. I spoke to one of my friend on the other day. He said that scriptwriters in my country write their scripts in their own ways .. he even sent me a sequence he wrote for a drama. He didn't follow any standard format.

So, I've decided my script will be a combination of standard formation and stage play .. I don't know that will work or not; but it should be okay if my actors understand what they have to do..what u say?

I'm pretty much sure most of the scriptwriters don't care about formation when it comes for their own language (except English). is that write?

One thing I would say is that if you plan on making the film yourself, you can pretty much do whatever you want, write it in your native language, add camera directions, hand-write it onto a roll of toilet paper, it doesn't really matter, as your the one that needs to understand it.

If you want to sell (or give) it to somebody else to produce, you really need to format it correctly. If you want it made elsewhere in the world (Hollywood???) you're going to want it translated into English.

The reason for script format is so others can understand the script.
I suspect that's the same in any language. And a film script is
different from a stage play.

I agree with mad_hatter. As long as the actors and crew can understand
your script, you can use what every format - or mix of formats - you
want. The ONLY time you need to follow the traditional format is if you
are writing to sell the script, or if the people involved in the making of
your script (producer, DP, crew, actors) are accustom to reading a script
in the traditional format.

Back