• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Screenplay?

Okay here's a hypothetical question - and emphasis is on the hypothetical, as I realise I'm getting quite a way ahead of myself (sensible answers please).

Let's say I've finished a screenplay. I've refined it, redrafted, had it proof-read and I'm happy it's where I want it to be. It reads on paper like a big budget, high-concept affair (the kind of thing I like to write).

So who do I take it to? Do i find an agent, or do i just start sending it to production companies? Can I contact directors or producers directly? Do I stand any chance at all - as an unpublished, unrecognised writer - of having this picked up and read?

Say I've already mailed it to production companies and I've heard no response 6 months later, do I, as the original creator, then reserve the right to go and find an artist and get it adapted as a graphic novel instead?

.....discuss?

Okay here's a hypothetical question - and emphasis is on the hypothetical, as I realise I'm getting quite a way ahead of myself (sensible answers please).

Let's say I've finished a screenplay. I've refined it, redrafted, had it proof-read and I'm happy it's where I want it to be. It reads on paper like a big budget, high-concept affair (the kind of thing I like to write).

So who do I take it to? Do i find an agent, or do i just start sending it to production companies? Can I contact directors or producers directly? Do I stand any chance at all - as an unpublished, unrecognised writer - of having this picked up and read?

Say I've already mailed it to production companies and I've heard no response 6 months later, do I, as the original creator, then reserve the right to go and find an artist and get it adapted as a graphic novel instead?

.....discuss?

Yes to all of the above, Dan. Believe me, if there were one sure way to do it, everyone would do it that way. People have sold scripts using every technique you list above. And, until someone pays you for it, you have the right to do anything you wish with it.

Dan, when you send a query (never send a script) to agents and
prodCo’s you are not required to wait until you hear before trying
other avenues. For example you can today send out 40, 50, 100
queries to agents, directors, producers and prodCo’s and at the
same time go and find an artist to adapt your script as a graphic
novel.

On top of the above options, getting in demand talent attached can make it easier to sell. Or even a letter of interest from the talent.
Interesting advice, Sweetie.

Getting a LOI from in demand talent seems much more difficult than
getting an agent or interest from a prodCo. How does having a LOI
from an in demand actor make it easier to sell? I understand how
having a LOI makes it easier for a producer to raise financing, but I
don’t know how it can help a writer sell the script. What about getting
a LOI from an in demand director? Or from an in demand producer?
Would that make it easier to sell?

Do you have any examples of an unproduced, unconnected, first time
writer getting in demand talent attached to a script thus making it
easier to sell? I have never heard of this method.

Thanks guys. So, I should never send a script to anyone? Always a query letter instead?
So, say if a Production Company responds to my query, and they're interested in reading it, do I need an agent then?

Sorry if these are obvious questions. I'm just not very clued up on the legal side of things and would rather not get bitten. I've always been under the impression that ProdCos avoid picking up scripts from writers without agents, to avoid legal complication.

I think getting some talent attached to a screenplay would likely help, whether it be actor, director or producer. But as a 'first time' feature writer it's highly unlikely to make those kind of contacts. Unless ofcourse you happen to be in the right place at the right time...

So, say if a Production Company responds to my query, and they're interested in reading it, do I need an agent then?
No. If a prodCo asks you to send the script then send the script.

Sometimes agents are better at making a deal than the writer. Many
times a writer is so excited to get an offer that take the first offer given.
An agent may be able to make a better deal. In many cases a prodCo
will not even accept a screenplay unless it is submitted by an agent. So
sometimes you need the agent first.

I think getting some talent attached to a screenplay would likely help, whether it be actor, director or producer. But as a 'first time' feature writer it's highly unlikely to make those kind of contacts. Unless ofcourse you happen to be in the right place at the right time...
To me that seems like such a remote chance I don't understand why
Sweetie suggest it. Getting an agent to accept a new client may be
difficult but it's their entire way of earning a living. Getting an actor to
put their reputation on the line for a first time, unproduced writer seems
impossible.

Back