• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

screenplay Screenplay format

Is it a film you're directing? If so, something simple like "The entire facade fills the frame" or something like that which would cue you on how to shoot it. If you're not directing, don't worry about it, that would be the director's choice. A writer shouldn't direct in the script. In that case, use words like "an imposing building" or whatever to indicate the scale or importance, while leaving the choice of how to interpret that to the director.

Last edited:
I’d like to show the entire facade of the building on screen. How to describe it in the screenplay?
You will write:

EXT. ARTS AND SCIENCE BUILDING - DAY

Then you will write what is happening in front of the building.

Even:

EXT. BUILDING - DAY

Is an accepted way to format the scene in your screenplay. Then describe
the building; made of brick - elaborate Rococo style - simple high rise.

Do not set the shot or any camera moves. Simply describe what is essential.

Thank you very much for the replies. I’m not directing. The thing is that it’s a historical building and the further action will take place inside this building. Therefore, it's important for the audience to recognize this building. The also will be a superimpose with the geographic location below.

Thank you very much for the replies. I’m not directing. The thing is that it’s a historical building and the further action will take place inside this building. Therefore, it's important for the audience to recognize this building. The also will be a superimpose with the geographic location below.
In that case, you would list the specific building. for example

EXT. WHITE HOUSE - DAY

or

EXT. NATIONAL AIR AND SPACE MUSEUM - DAY

And now the audience would know they are in front of a historical building with significance.

Back