school project help?

i have to make a video of 1 to 5 min, my teacher gave no specifics instructions as to specific content, just that he wanted to see the correct use of lighting and camera techniques.

The catch is that i have 3 hours to shoot, no budget, and I have to stay on campus.

Any ideas???? please

i have to make a video of 1 to 5 min, my teacher gave no specifics instructions as to specific content, just that he wanted to see the correct use of lighting and camera techniques.

The catch is that i have 3 hours to shoot, no budget, and I have to stay on campus.

Any ideas???? please

Well, throw dialog out the window if it's not a requirement. Someone making a sandwich has a beginning, middle, and end and you can go crazy on shot selection, but you'll have to make about 4 or 5 sandwiches - an excellent, edible byproduct of hard work. :cool:

How exciting! What a great challenge.

So the point of the project is lighting and camera. What lighting
package do you have? I got a million idea on what to shoot.

.. we r using TOTA and ARI light kits..im def on board with no dialogue. i was thinking at first of trying to do a trailer of some kind

Good. I was pushing on keeping it simple and showing your skills. Of course a trailer will require a script and VO, but, hey, you've got 3 hours. :cool:

What do you have to demonstrate with camera? Do you have access to dolly's, cranes, etc? Is it composition/framing/exposure? More info needed.

framing, composition,cdepth of field, o.t.s. , i wanted to use the dutch angle at some point.hes looking for things like prope white balancing, flow,

ARRGH! Use dutch angle if you want the audience to be confused for 3 seconds, but not thrown in there for your incredible range. :D:blush:

There has to be a reason for that shot. Dazzle him with composition. He's trying to see what you think is important at this point. Exposure and white balance is a given. DOF parlays intimacy of conversation.

Most schools are already lit fairly well.
I'm having a hard time thinking of when or where you'd need supplemental lighting inside.

Otherwise, shoot the:
- cafeteria
- parking lot
- indoor PE class
- water fountain
- coke machine
- hallways
- lockers in use between classes
- follow the maintainance staff
- band in practice &/or teacher conducting
- art class working on a project
- ROTC doing their thing
- morning flag ceremony
- interview the Principal, Vice Principal, Bus Drivers waiting before afternoon pick up
- kids in detention (show no faces)
- document school graffiti or trash on the grounds/in hallways
- and the oldie but a goodie: document another team making their film.

GL!

Last edited:
Most schools are already lit fairly well.
I'm having a hard time thinking of when or where you'd need supplemental lighting inside.
An exposed image isn't good lighting. This is for a school project. Learning
to use light well is essential to upping the look of a movie. My two biggest
issues with short films are poor audio and no lighting. Using todays cameras
it's so easy to get an exposed image that lighting has slipped into the "we
don't really need it" category. Something as simple as lighting an actors
face so there is shadow makes a big difference. Rather than having a flatly
lit background wall, a wall with some shadows or a dark wall with patches of
light adds a lot to the over all look of a movie. Just using a simple back light
on the actors to make them stand out does wonders to a flat shot.

You're having a hard time thinking of when or where you'd need supplemental
lighting - I'm having a hard time thinking of when or where you don't need
supplemental lighting.

Is the 3 hours just for shooting or will you be expected and/or allowed to edit the footage?

Don't forget that composition isn't just what angle your camera is at. Pay attention to the rule of thirds and try to choose angles that convey a sense of depth or perspective. Find 'lines' that can lead the eye off into the distance, this will convey depth. Here's some examples:

hdr2.jpg

122287546-M.jpg

day-8-jan-8-my-ibanez-custom.jpg

great_depth_of_field_in_landscape_photo.jpg

See the way each photo has a line (or more) that lead the eye and give the image depth and perspective?

thanx everyone for your help. i shot my project on thursday, i went with a behind the scenes look at some else's project. i shot some interviews and behind the camera stuff, set -up, and breakdown. i will start editing this week hopefully i will post when im done.

Back