• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Scene: "Alone time"

Hi everyone,

Hope everyones okay...

Well, I have this little project Im working on and am also experimenting with exposure controls. First off, I wanna show you one clip from one of the scenes: http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=1r6ope&s=7

And here's the lighting sketch (plan) aswell:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Details: INTERIOR - LIVING ROOM - LATE EVENING (7:45 pm)

OTHER DETAILS:
Rebel EOS 550D/t2i
ISO 400
EXPOSURE: Close to -2?
SHUTTER SPEED: 100
APERTURE: 5.0

If you're asking yourself, why is the character blurry, I just decided to put the tie in focus (part of the story) so theres no misconception.

Anyway, you might not NOTICE it cause its not in its original size, but whenever I look at the clip, I see some sort of "grainy" dots reappearin in the darker areas of the scene. I dont know the correct term for this but was hoping you guys might understand what Im saying. I mean its NOT AWFUL, but its still irritating and I would like grain-less dark areas if possible.

I thought I would get rid of that by having the scene lit really good (which I did btw in the clip), and then lowerin down the exposure so I can still have that dark evening look but without the "spikes/grains"? The clip you saw is where I did just that, but didnt get rid of the problem totally, a little , but not totally.

1.) Can I get rid of such a problem?
2.) Should practicles (desk lamps etc.) do the trick to help?

(this might be the reason why I notice wall lamps, desk lamps (practicles etc.) turned on in movies even when theres no need for them situation-wise.

I really hope I made myself clear.

Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:
I'm by no means an expert, but my guess would be to lower your ISO if you want less grain. Also, the DSLRs have electronic ISOs for some levels, which can add more noise. If I remember correctly, the "real" ISOs are at 160, 320, 640, etc. So you might try it at 320 or even 640 to see if you get less grain.

@Cameronchapman - thanks for the reply! The only way to get such ISO's you mentioned is by installing Magic Lantern (from what I heard) but Im worried I might do something wrong? Do you have it on yours? Thanks.

@chillipie - thats pretty interesting. How did you calculate that? Im sure I'll find out sooner or later, but Id rather read it from you now :D

Back