Scary Movies

I've always enjoyed a good horror flick ( :twisted: ) but i haven't seen one in the longest time. I'm really sick of Hollywood poppin out the same damn thing over and over again (they gotta be on the 101st Halloween). I was just wondering if anyone could recommend and good horror movies (that I'd be able to find)? Thanks in Advance.
~Kyle~

You also have Pet Cemetary, pretty decent, um Texas Chainsaw Massacre both remake and original are nice, I hear the Jap. version of the ring is scary, um oh Rosemary's Baby I think it's called is also a good one. Depends also what kind of horrors you lik the psychological ones or the flat out ones that they show you what's happening.

I didnt care for ringu or the TCM remake. but anyways some of my favorite horror films are:

Rosemary's Baby
The Exorcist
The Shining
Texas Chainsaw massacre
Suspiria
Nosferatu ( both murnau and herzog versions)
Dawn of the Dead
Eraserhead
Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Hour of the Wolf
Evil Dead
Psycho (originial)
Deep Red (profondo rosso)

The original psycho is so good...

Great filmmaking..

Great story..

But I've always wondered, why is that graphic match so popular? You know, the one with the eye & the drainhole. That's always fascinated me.

Nowadays things like that are standard in editing, but in Psycho that was the first time it was done (at least the first time in Hollywood). It was considered really different, artsy, etc...which it was.

I know that I personally like it because after all the chaos of a woman being murdered, was a quiet and serene sequence that contained that graphic match. It made me reflect on the horror I'd just seen and created an erie quiet mood...creepy. So, I guess the context of it and how it was used was important too.

I fully agree with you!!!

I love the fact that in that film, you didn't see anymore then what you needed to see. That's the problem with horror films nowadays, too graphic so it becomes more funny than it would ever be scary.

Mystery, suspense, those are scary concepts.

I haven't scene A really good scary movie in a good while. If you ever get the chance though, there is a series a video games for playstation and playstation 2 called Silent Hill. I would recomend either playing it or watching someone else play this game at night with all the lights out. I tell you they did a good job creating a story line that lets you get into the game and can scare the hell out of you.

Mr.Blonde said:
I fully agree with you!!!I love the fact that in that film, you didn't see anymore then what you needed to see. That's the problem with horror films nowadays, too graphic so it becomes more funny than it would ever be scary.

You should see Session 9 then if you haven't.

Very Good

Thanks alot for all the replies. Session 9 was a great flcik. I really enjoyed watching that at two in the morning in my basement, all by myself. haha. I especially loved the scene when the kid was running down the hall way as the light bulbs were burning out, and it looked as if the darkness was chasing him. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to see a good suspense/horror movie, or just a good movie in general.

Well, I just got a job at a video store (2 weeks ago) so I'll have a look when I'm working next.. Which is next weekend.

Cool. The thing about Horror films is that a good one is hard to find amongst all the bullshit that's released. There are some really good horror flicks that never see the cinema & go straight to video but I find that they are usually the best.

The only movie that I can ever remember scaring me was The Legend of Boggy Creek. Of course I was about 8 and I watched at my grandparents house in the country.

I liked The Ring (American version) because of the way it was shot and the creepiness of the little girl.

What Lies Beneath would have been great if the trailers hadn't given away everything.

The Others and The Sixth Sense were creepy, but not true "scary" movies.

I wasn't a huge fan of Session 9. It was well done (beautiful cinematography), but the payoff wasn't near as good as the set up.

Basically, if you look at my list (besides Boggy), I really like these types of movies that establish a mood through the shooting.

Poke

Mr.Blonde said:
Signs was such a joke...

Why make such a harsh statement and not give reason for it? Signs wasn't the best movie of it's genre, but it was not a "joke". It actually is a pretty good movie.

Poke

Poke is Right

I thought signs was a really good movie. The only thing i didn't like was at the end of the movie the family had a confrontation with the alien. It was kind of cool but it would have been better if they just left it up to us to determine what the aliens looked like by the short glimpses given throughout the rest of the movie ( ex: in the cornfield). Overall it was pretty good though. I enjoyed it at least.

Never said I didn't like it.

Most of the film had me creeped out, but there was the whole 'alien outside a kid's party' thing & 'everyone still thinking he was a priest' & the whole 'wife wedged between a truck & a tree that were keeping her alive' thing & it was just funny by the end.

The alien in the pantry was pretty funny though, you must admit. I had all these jokes with my brother that they'd open the door & the alien would be passed out from flour consumption, seeing as how they don't have flour on their planet (that was our own observation).

My favourite part was when Mel Gibson was running around the house saying things like "I'm insane with anger!!" & "I'm losing my mind!!".

But, I did like it.

Re: Poke is Right

Mr. Blonde said:
I thought signs was a really good movie. The only thing i didn't like was at the end of the movie the family had a confrontation with the alien. It was kind of cool but it would have been better if they just left it up to us to determine what the aliens looked like by the short glimpses given throughout the rest of the movie ( ex: in the cornfield). Overall it was pretty good though. I enjoyed it at least.

I agree completely! Great movie, but when I saw the alien at the end..it became less scary to me.

I have one other tiny complaint about that movie...the aliens were going to take over the world by suffocating one person at a time?! Come on!! Surely the writer(s) could have thought of something less stupid than that. Oh well, it's still a good flick.

Back