• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Scariest Movies of All Time

You can't tell someone what to be frightened of. It's a personality trait. What scares some, won't make others blink an eye.

But, it seems like your list is comprised of blockbuster and cult films. Some of which IMO are great, and some really suck.

The Exorcist is a movie that I saw in the theatre with my family. While others were screaming and horrified, we were laughing our asses off. But, I have to admit, I thought Linda Blair was hot. Hey we were the same age.

Any movie over ten years old by todays standards will confuse and mystify new movie fans as being scary. So, Jaws, Nightmare, Halloween, Alien, TCM, Haunting, while scary as hell in their day are for the most part lame by todays standards and audiences. But, what these movies do have is staying power. They hold up extremely well for people who truly enjoy cinema. They also set standards that new movies try to surpass. Unfortunately, few succeed.

The Blair Witch Project SUCKS. Take away the notion that this is real footage and there's nothing there. It's boring, stupid, and completely unbelievable. A huge hyped piece of crap. Which brings me to another huge hyped piece of crap Paranormal Activity. This movie was so pathetic that they couldn't even show a clip in the advertisements. The best that can be said about these two films are "There's a sucker born every minute". Sorry, I know these are on your list. But, they suck big time. Both are completely worthless as far as storytelling, and watchability goes. There should be classes taught on their marketing. Greatest marketing campaigns ever. Though I bet PA2 kicks ass. : )

I just watched a double feature of Carnival of Souls and The Blob. I love them both, and for the time were excellent lo-budget features. For people my age they hold up great. But, for kids nowadays they're garbage. Though the Carnival dance scenes to me are still creepy.

Lists are just opinions. Here's some that would make my list.

Vacancy
The Strangers
Candyman
Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Orphan
The Omen
Carrie

I know the first two are movies that are extremely unpopular. But, I love that being chased feeling.

Uh, huh. Or because the movie sucked so bad there was nothing to show. Ooh doors opening and closing by themselves SCARY. :lol:

That's your experience and a lot of people share it. I can acknowledge that. For some reason, it really affected me more than any other movie on that list.

I always find it interesting to hear which films scared people.

I had a crazy aunt that took me to see The Exorcist at a midnight show when I was like 9 or 10 (Same year as The Amityville Horror came out), and it scared the F out of me!

After that no movie has seemed scary at all, most just cheap manipulating startles, a few mildly disturbing, and many totally cornball or just plain stupid.

Jaws is the only other one that left a lasting impact, but still not the same.

I always wonder if after being that scared I can’t get any more scared, or if a film just hasn’t been made scarier than The Exorcist that I know of.

Is there anything scarier?

-Thanks-

Ya know, I really didn't like "Paranormal Activity". The ending (which was, according to the link, was picked by Steven Spielberg, who I dislike. I know his movies such as "E.T." and stuff are classic, but I could never get into it.) was awful. Horror movies have an awful trend of ugly things popping out at you because they can't really scare you. I don't think that movies that only have things pop out to surprise you shouldn't be called horror. They should be called surprise movies. Another good example of this is "The Descent". There was nothing scary about that movie at all, it was just surprising. A true horror movie that still chills me is "Nosferatu". The clip of his shadow creeping up the stairs is still something that freaks me out. Even his makeup was some pretty freaky stuff. Horror just isn't what it used to be.

I always wonder if after being that scared I can’t get any more scared, or if a film just hasn’t been made scarier than The Exorcist that I know of.

-Thanks-

Just about everything. I guess being non-religious made The Exorcist seem stupid to me. Linda Blair is still hot.

If you like that someone is chasing me suspense, check out Vacancy or The Strangers. They're both love'em or hate'em flicks.

Horror just isn't what it used to be.

It can't be. Times and perspective change.

One of the greatest acting performances I've ever seen is Angela Bettis in May. Brilliant portrayal. Put any other actress in that role, and the movie would have sucked big time. But, she brought such humanity to the role, that you had to love her. There's killing in part of it, so it's labeled horror. There's nothing horrifying or scary about it. But, it's a great psychological portrait.

Not really, though EXORCIST 3 also got me (head clippers' scene). I thought that REC had a scary ending, too. The first half of HIGH TENSION was pretty tense. I thought the school yard of dead children was freaky, in SILENT HILL. The last 20 minutes of THE OMEN. The endings of PHANTASM, CARRIE, FRIDAY THE 13TH and DON'T LOOK NOW. Some strong scenes, but no entire movie beats THE EXORCIST.

JAWS and ALIEN affected me. I thought the first THE GRUDGE was scary, but a lot of people were polarized by that.

Though I bet PA2 kicks ass. : )....
Vacancy
The Strangers
Candyman
Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Orphan
The Omen
Carrie

I know the first two are movies that are extremely unpopular. But, I love that being chased feeling.

I thought PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 2 was a good follow up. It gives you the beginnings and ends of BOTH movies, so it's tied in really well.

As for your list, I think that's a good one. I also like the running around and getting chased, which is why I love a movie called MUTE WITNESS.

Back