Saying Hey From Milwaukee!

Hey everyone! I'm very glad I stumbled across this forum, it appears to have a ton of invaluable information for someone who's just getting started.

My names Andrew and since I can't yet call myself a filmmaker I'll settle for saying I'm extremely interested.

I'll give you a little bit of my professional background.

When I was 17 years old I decided I wanted to graduate high school a year early to enlist in the US Navy. I spent a few years as an Electronics Technician fixing radars and then got out and came back home to Milwaukee. I had trouble finding work in my field (and I didn't really enjoy it) so I started selling cars....after achieving mild success in the car business I finally figured out it wasn't for me. At 21 years old I wanted the opportunity to have a social life and pursue the things that I was interested in, unfortunately working 60 hours a week at a car dealership made that impossible so I chose to move on. Since then I've been jumping from job to job just trying to find my place in society.

Several months ago I started getting into filmmaking and since then it's been one of the only things I can think about. I've been doing a lot of reading, watching a lot of movies, and reading even more. I've read through a good 50 scripts or so to make sure I had a good feel for what actually makes a good screenplay and now I'm ready to start writing my own.

Learning about the movie making process has been a lot of fun and I'm very excited to get behind a camera so that I can actually see my vision come to life.

Thanks for reading, I'm looking forward to talking to all of you and finding out what you think makes a great film as well.

My Regards,
Andrew Decker

Cool! Gonna start writin' some scripts! :cool:

Startin' off with some shorts, or goin' for broke with full-length?

Sounds like you are in for a wild learning experience. :)

I'm starting with some shorts. I was thinking 15-30 minutes. I put a great deal of thought into it and I couldn't justify spending months (if not longer?) writing a feature when I'm not sure whats going on in the first place. And I REALLY want to get behind the camera.

Oh yeah...and the budget issue ;)

I'm starting with a short. At least that's what she said. (rimshot:) ) But really, getting together a short I plan to be around 3 mins.

Back