• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Samyang35mm or Canon50mm

So if I can get one $400 lens... Which might be the better overall choice? I may still be able to get more lenses later but which one first and why. Thanks in advance.

You can get a new Canon 50mm 1.8 for $100 , if you're lookin' to spread that budget.

Samyang35mm or Canon50mm

What size sensor does your camera have? I'm picking up a new 35mm next week for my T2i, counting on it looking closer to 50mm in reality. At least, I hope that's what I should be doing. :blush:

35mm x 1.6 crop = 56

Haven't bought it yet, but looking at T4i body only. Where is that 50mm for $100? I found them around 200...oops that's the 40mm, sorry. So 50mm would be closer to 80mm??? What if used on a 5DmarkII?

Gray market means it has had at least 1 previous owner,

I have the Canon 50mm 1.4, which was about $300, it's gorgeous on my 7D. I also, have a SamYang 85mm 1.4, and it also has a nice look.

I would say this..

if you plan on doing strictly video, go for the SamYang. It has a hardstop focus ring, which is good for focus pulling. It's also a manual aperture ring lens. So it's built more similarly to a cine lens than the Canon 50mm.

However, if you plan to do photography and film, I would go for the 50mm 1.4 as it can autofocus which is helpful for photos.

Gray market comes from overseas, usually Asia. Same lens, and technically they're all made in the same place but buying the ones made for the Asian market means you have to send it back there should you ever need warranty service.

The Samyang will have a little better image quality, but no autofocus. Like others have said, if you're taking photos that AF is pretty crucial, but for video the Samyang will perform better.

HI Guys,

i tested out the 35mm Samyang at the weekend and although a gorgeous lens for the price, i did have some problems... i used a t3i/600d and when switched to video mode it came up with a warning "Make sure lens is attached" which it was. Also when in movie mode the exposure meter was way off... saying my shot was under exposed when it was way over exposed...

has anyone encountered similiar problems? this one has me baffled

Thanks everyone. Looks like i'll have to go for the less expensive lens for now as I'll be doing both photo's and video. I definately wanted a cinema style lens first though but sounds like the Samyang might not be the one for me. And as far as size??? 50mm 40mm 35mm what can I watch to compare these lenses? I'm wondering what could help my movie look right...

You can check out youtube... just type in each lense+video test.

As for which will make your film look the best, there is no definitive answer for that im afraid, each cinematographer has their own preferences and style :D

HI Guys,

i tested out the 35mm Samyang at the weekend and although a gorgeous lens for the price, i did have some problems... i used a t3i/600d and when switched to video mode it came up with a warning "Make sure lens is attached" which it was. Also when in movie mode the exposure meter was way off... saying my shot was under exposed when it was way over exposed...

has anyone encountered similiar problems? this one has me baffled

Normal. You need to work with settings. You can turn off the check for lens and there is something about auto exposure compensation..

For your first lens I would recommend a zoom. Tamron makes a 28-75mm f2.8 constant aperture zoom that you can get for right around $400.00 (less on ebay). B&H currently has it on back order with a $25.00 mail in rebate bring their final price to $475.00.

For your first lens I would recommend a zoom. Tamron makes a 28-75mm f2.8 constant aperture zoom that you can get

I'm lookin' at that right now, as well as the Tamron 17-50. Leanin' towards the 28-75, atm.

Q is, does the Tamron for Canons work with the camera's auto-focus & auto-exposure functions? Or are the Tamrons more like the Rokinons, which are all manual 'cos not quite compatible with those functions?

Edit: Looked it up on Amazon, and apparently it does. Woo! :cool:

Last edited:
Back