Round 2 - Rules & Details (Please Read)

CommanderGoat said:
By the way, how is Zensteve not a moderator buy now? He's done a lot of organizing for the comp. He gets my nomination for newest moderator if said position is open.

Yeah, Zen, why aren't you a mod yet? :bag:

Poke

Let's just say it would be a bad bad thing.
smiley_piratriot.gif

Edit: New Prize category added.

To recap what we were talking about earlier...

Alien poping out of someone's chest. Flying through space in search of idiot lifeforms.
Was X-Files considered Sci-fi? even when there were no "ET" references in the episode?
Signs.. is that scifi? I think so..
Maybe I'm getting it... But I'd like to discuss it... Can it be a Sci-Fi Comedy? or Sci-fi horror?

Answer: Yes

Much more concise than last reply

Here, take a look at this. It's an extremely low-budget mini-adventure that is still pretty entertaining.

"Kickin' Asteroid" - 12mb

Aside from some 15 seconds of blatantly ripped material to add effects, it's a workable sci-fi flick.

I'm rambling again. Rar!

Last edited:
Would the bending of political science count as an imagined science? Say a law was created/misconstrued that was aimed to making a controlable utopian society in some shape or form (in the future) and a character had to come to grips with that and their potential to change or alter that society?

Would this qualify as sci-fi?

Hmmmmmmmm.....

Clearly you are talking about the so-called Patriot Act.
smiley_creepy.gif

It could swing several ways, depending on how it was pursued. It could be done as:

• Gripping courtroom drama
  • Documentary, say... ACLU vs. Ashcoft
  • Two philosophers debating in a French cafe, stroking their goatees.
  • Grim futuristic saga, such as 1984 or Metropolis

Sci-fi is a great vehicle for bringing up all kinds of topics, including ethics and morality. It's probably easier (in this particular case) to place the story in the short-term future, though, to show characters actually dealing with what has come to pass.

This could be done as sci-fi (as with almost anything)... Whether it turns out that way is up to you, and how you write it.

Can you squeeze a change from current society to utopian into 5 mins?

Last edited:
Nothing to do with the Patriot Act but you were close when you mentioned in the vein of 1984 and Metropolis. But you did confirm my thinking that the final result would be a sci fi genre film.

Is it it a utopian society, the viewer will decide that! I will be tracking progress of my film on my website as there are NUMEROUS challenges to filming in Korea. When I get going I will post a link. I finished the 1st draft of the screenplay last night and will be letting it sit over the weekend.

scooter said:
Nothing to do with the Patriot Act but you were close when you mentioned in the vein of 1984 and Metropolis. But you did confirm my thinking that the final result would be a sci fi genre film.

Absolutely. The thing about the genres we are using is that they are so broad you can fit virtually anything into them. Sorry, I didn't say this before (to busy making a political crack), but the way you described your idea sounded very much SciFi to me.

What are the challenges of filming in Korea you speak of?

Poke

i wrote a script, that...isnt quite sci fi as we know it (aliens, sexy FBI agent that doesnt believe in them(not mulder) and all that)

But i think it works because of realities and all that... Anyone(not entering...well i guess it doesnt matter) want to read it for me and judge?

I'll read the script

rizien said:
i wrote a script, that...isnt quite sci fi as we know it (aliens, sexy FBI agent that doesnt believe in them(not mulder) and all that)

But i think it works because of realities and all that... Anyone(not entering...well i guess it doesnt matter) want to read it for me and judge?

Well I have 2 ideas in mind and will start writing in a few weeks. I just have to figure out actors and location first to see which to start with. Plus I'm working on a 5 min thing for a contest Sept 30th. So After that's done, I'll do this project.

I'd be happy to read it and give you my honest and constructive opinion.

Please let me know.

Last edited:
I just finished the first draft of "The Camera" and am red-inking it up as we speak...as I type. (The Internet has ruined so many cliches). I will be location scouting Tuesday. The trouble I am trying to creatively overcome is a few scenes call for wide open, debris ridden areas. They just don't exist in Korea, they grow food on every inch of land not being used for comercial, residential, or industrial use!

scooter said:
I just finished the first draft of "The Camera" and am red-inking it up as we speak...as I type. (The Internet has ruined so many cliches). I will be location scouting Tuesday. The trouble I am trying to creatively overcome is a few scenes call for wide open, debris ridden areas. They just don't exist in Korea, they grow food on every inch of land not being used for comercial, residential, or industrial use!

Do your characters need to interact in this area?

If not, perhaps someone here can shoot that footage for you and you just greenscreen the actors.

Just a thought.

I realize that at this point those participating in round two are more than likely already finished writing but I had to throw my two cents in as far as what sci-fi means in film.

I am a huge fan sci-fi novels and short stories but I believe that it is a genre that is way underutilized in film. It is a genre that can be completly liberating to a story teller from the constraints of "reality" in order to exlpore relevent modern day issues.

Three films imo really reflect what "good" sci-fi can be in film "Final", "Donnie Dark", and most recently "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind." "Final" demonstrates how little flashy effects are needed to tell a good sci-fi story as most of the story takes place in a single room.

Anyway that's just my opinion. I look foward to seeing all of the entries.

Mike

Plain ol' thread bump.

First post now contains mailing address for people that will not be uploading directly.

(Actually, it was there a bit ago but an edit doesn't bump)

If you are unable to compress your 5 min (max) film to less than 25MB, send it to me and I will make sure it fits.

The online uploads for the people that have CoDecs under control... that link goes active on Wed Oct 20th. The script will automatically reject anything over 25MB. You will have 3 days (roughly) to upload your QT file.

If anyone that is submitting an entry has any questions, please e-mail or PM me. (E-mail & PM links are in my profile. I do not bite)

Back