Rotterdam..anyone notified yet?

they are announcing a few projects a week till the full lineup is revealed on jan 13th- but when are filmmakers notified?

I guess I should assume a "no" since they probably want filmmakers to fly down and would need to give them more then a few weeks notice.....

I didn't submit so I don't know for sure, but it doesn't sound good for you. One reason festivals usually need to call filmmakers well in advance because many of their first choices will have already said yes to other festivals so they'll need to go down their list to the backup films until they complete their lineup.

If Rotterdam isn't as picky about world premiers, this might not be an issue though. But as a reference, you can pretty much guarantee that no filmmaker is going to refuse a screening at Sundance, which is also in January, and they still notified the selected filmmakers over Thanksgiving weekend. There's tons of paperwork and prep that needs to be done both by the festivals and filmmakers before the screening, plus it's just common courtesy to give plenty of notice.

I think the reason why they hold out for rejection notices is just in case a filmmaker backs out or becomes disqualified for whatever reason, so there's always a chance you could be the very next on their list. It's a cruel waiting game and I am in the middle of it right now as well for other festivals! Good luck!

Cool festival it is :)
I live near Rotterdam and the programming is always diverse :)

I don't remember anymore when I got my notification years ago... but it is becoming rather short notice indeed.

Cool festival it is :)
I live near Rotterdam and the programming is always diverse :)

I don't remember anymore when I got my notification years ago... but it is becoming rather short notice indeed.

Well, at least it's a real festival... They actually watched the submission even if I sent it last minute and unfinished. And the crop of movies they picked are real indies.

Definetly worth the submission fee .

How do you know they actually watched your film? Was there specific information in your rejection?

I wish I had submitted to them this year.

Yeh it was a personal email with details... They actually watched it and we sent it on late deadline - it's just good to know we had a shot like everyone else... No bs studio connection stuff.

It is real for sure:
over 100,000 tickets are sold each year.
A lot of Indie films from all over the world, some experimental stuff, some 'bigger Indie stuff' (Slum Dog Millionaire was also premiered in Rotterdam).
Less prestigious than Berlin, Venice or Monaco, but definitifly one of the big filmfestivals in Europe.

Back