• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Rotating camera effect??

I would an actor to walk toward the camera and his world to spin so I would like the camera to do a 360 turn vertically while pulling dolly. Anyone know how I can acheieve this effect?

Cheapest solution is to punch in, in post, and use motion controls in your NLE to spin the image.

Obvious drawbacks include having to account for that, while composing the actual shot. Also... punching in, in post.

Thought of that but not a fan of punching in.

I was thinking about creative ways to use a tripod or something. Like off the top of my head mounting a tripod head horizontally, face the camera to completely face up then turn 360.

Had an idea. Forgot that I had this lovely little mount that is an agjustable arm which also rotates around its base. I have attached that to a car mount then I can attach it to a vertical board or something. Just tried it attched to my window and works quite well.

Last edited:
Check out Phil uk's link to see the piece of equipment I need. I just wanted to know a DIY way to achieve it.

Just pulling this outta my kiester, so bear with me.

Not knowing what camera we are talking, I'll just generalize somewhat.

Start with 2 old 20-26" bicycle rims.

Remove all spokes and the hubs if necessary.

Generate a mount for your camera with attachment points on 4 sides. So think of it as maybe a lightweight frame you are building, similar to a cage but special purpose. I would probably use Al angle iron or something similar.

Drill and Fab to suit. The goal is to have one rim in front of the camera and another at the rear so that the whole thing will roll on the appropriate axis (ie, the camera is looking through the front hoop)

Find yourself some old cargo rollers, or rubber wheels, or whatever would be suitable. Fabricate a platform such that your hoops rest between 2 rolling surfaces in a stable fashion.

Spin at your desired rate.

You will want the whole thing heavier than you think so that it is more stable.

At least my first try would be something along those lines.

Do you have to go full 360? Put your camera sideways on your tripod so you'll be able to Dutch left and right instead of tilting up and down. You won't be able to go all the way in a circle and back again, but you can start all the way right and roll left.

Head over you your local DIY store, and pick up two large-ish L-brackets, a lazy susan bearing, and necessary bolts, etc to connect everything.

You'll want to end up with something along these lines (see attachment)

You'll have to play with it some so that the center point of the lazy susan is the same as the center point of the lens, but otherwise this is a pretty simple rig to build/setup.

Attachments

• diy-letus-helix.jpg
    diy-letus-helix.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 90
Yup, Will's idea + counterwieght is the simplest. I'm sure there's limt to how heavy of a camera build that could support, but for IT user purposes it's porbably spot on.

Simpler solution == usually better.

Head over you your local DIY store, and pick up two large-ish L-brackets, a lazy susan bearing, and necessary bolts, etc to connect everything.

You'll want to end up with something along these lines (see attachment)

You'll have to play with it some so that the center point of the lazy susan is the same as the center point of the lens, but otherwise this is a pretty simple rig to build/setup.

Thanks for that. I am thinking of a hybrid between that and a manfrodo adjustable arm:

549_1_1.jpg

It's similar to this one and a bargain (20 quid!) and it rotates around it's base so I can adjust the camera to face outward (upward from the picture angle) then turn, maybe with an elastic band attached to the arm. It's dslr so small enough. I'm still playing with the idea. When I have a full set-up I will update with results.

Last edited:
That doesn't look like it would be smooth at all.

Check the video. It's actually not that bad, it's actually the continuation of pulling it a full 360 that is quite difficult but with a bit of practice will be fine. What I will try is an elastic band pull, i've seen this trick on jerky tripods.

Not bad for 20 quid though me thinks.

That a useful head, I have one. The base axis feels like it has a little fluid dampening so it might be enough..

Indeed. I also attached an elastic band and pulled around which just adds even better smoothness allowing a fluid 360 at a constant speed. It'll do for what I need it for. Lovely little arm, I might buy another and see what I can do with one on the other.

Back