• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Revised Script

I was looking forward to seeing your revisions, but it says the document doesn't exist.

I think the latest revised version posted up in the old thread was this one: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1E89_teazcUWWtqNl9pX2tDN0E/edit

It's a little better, but I think it still suffers from being overcomplex for no real reason, with lots of implausible interactions and events going on. There's a simple premise in there (conman tries to commit a crime and is caught) but it's lost amongst all the details, and the conclusion is still unsatisfactory.

I think the latest revised version posted up in the old thread was this one: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1E89_teazcUWWtqNl9pX2tDN0E/edit

It's a little better, but I think it still suffers from being overcomplex for no real reason, with lots of implausible interactions and events going on. There's a simple premise in there (conman tries to commit a crime and is caught) but it's lost amongst all the details, and the conclusion is still unsatisfactory.

Can you please elaborate?

And did I mention that it's based on a true story as well as being about doing what you feel is the right thing?

And did I mention that it's based on a true story as well as being about doing what you feel is the right thing?

A few things that I recall...
- what is the point of the sick man being sick? It doesn't seem to serve any purpose
- why is the waitress besotted with a tramp who walked in off the street? It just seems totally random.
- I still don't buy the "this is your table... all the tables are reserved" thing. It just reads like a plot device for no real reason, and really the only reason it's there is because of the sick man, who I'd say probably doesn't even need to be sick.
- Again, it may just be me, but I've never been to a restaurant where a waitress just comes round dumping bills on people's tables while they eat.
- The sick man has a pocket - his tissue and wallet were in there - so why does he deliberately drop his bill on the floor instead of pocketing it?
- Where is he going to pay? In every restaurant I've ever been in, I've paid at the table, before getting up.
- Why does James allow the sick man to pay? If he's going to some sort of desk to pay, then presumably he's leaving straight after, so what is the benefit of letting the sick man pay on his behalf? Is he suddenly going to sit and admire the view of empty reserved tables for a while instead?

The whole thing just seems very contrived.

A few things that I recall...
- what is the point of the sick man being sick? It doesn't seem to serve any purpose
- why is the waitress besotted with a tramp who walked in off the street? It just seems totally random.
- I still don't buy the "this is your table... all the tables are reserved" thing. It just reads like a plot device for no real reason, and really the only reason it's there is because of the sick man, who I'd say probably doesn't even need to be sick.
- Again, it may just be me, but I've never been to a restaurant where a waitress just comes round dumping bills on people's tables while they eat.
- The sick man has a pocket - his tissue and wallet were in there - so why does he deliberately drop his bill on the floor instead of pocketing it?
- Where is he going to pay? In every restaurant I've ever been in, I've paid at the table, before getting up.
- Why does James allow the sick man to pay? If he's going to some sort of desk to pay, then presumably he's leaving straight after, so what is the benefit of letting the sick man pay on his behalf? Is he suddenly going to sit and admire the view of empty reserved tables for a while instead?

The whole thing just seems very contrived.

-The Sick Man is sick because it shows James' character as being an annoyed and demanding man and it adds adds somthing subtle to him.
-The "Tramp" is not a total tramp - only his trousers are a bit tattered - but the Waitress only focuses on his eyes because she likes the look of his eyes and face, it's the reason why she wants to save him.
-The Waitress doesn't like James.
-Where I live, they do.
-The Sick Man wants it to look like James has dropped his bill instead of having two bills with him.
-Where I live and every restaurant I've ever been in, you do not certainly leave your money at your table and leave, you pay at the desk.
-James was going to go up, ask for more food while paying for his other food but he let's the Sick Man pay on his behalf because he doesn't like the Sick Man and wants him to go away.

You keep 'spinning your wheels in the mud.' Rather than accept guidance, you think doing more of the same bad writing will somehow make it better. It's based on 'actual events'. A story is different from a string of events. That is the first thing you need to grasp. If you can't then you'll never be able to write this successfully. That is the fatal flaw in your writing.

-The Sick Man is sick because it shows James' character as being an annoyed and demanding man and it adds adds somthing subtle to him.
Wrong. The sick man is uninteresting and annoying. Especially as you wrote him. James is uninteresting and just sits around. The presence of a character adds nothing. It's the dynamics that add meaning. There's nothing subtle here. Nothing to make the viewer/reader interested in either character. The tramp could easily have pulled the same stunt, removing the need for a sick guy.

-The "Tramp" is not a total tramp - only his trousers are a bit tattered - but the Waitress only focuses on his eyes because she likes the look of his eyes and face, it's the reason why she wants to save him.
That's happening in YOUR MIND, not on the screen (or in the script). All the viewer/reader witnesses is a guy in tattered clothes who the annoyed waitress gives a table. There's nothing in the interactions or dialogue to suggest why a waitress would go gaga over a hobo.

-The Waitress doesn't like James.
Again, in YOUR MIND. Why? What has James done to deserve this? A waitress gets tips for good service. She'd fake liking someone to get a good tip. As a viewer/reader it doesn't make sense why she would dote on a sick guy or hobo rather than a well-dressed many who could give a nice tip.

-Where I live, they do.
Meaning? If she was a waitress in my tavern/pub/restaurant and she was treating my customers that badly, she'd be sacked. Pulling a knife on a waitress? Scuffling instead of calling the police/guard? Nothing in this series of events feels real. It was more a bad slapstick.

-The Sick Man wants it to look like James has dropped his bill instead of having two bills with him.
That was obvious. That's an event. If you want this to be a story, you need to pick one of the characters and show some evolution. If you want the waitress to like the tramp, then you need to make him do something that endears him to her. In screenplays you need to develop emotions not assume they're already present, especially between strangers.

-James was going to go up, ask for more food while paying for his other food but he let's the Sick Man pay on his behalf because he doesn't like the Sick Man and wants him to go away.
Is that realistic? Would you let someone who you're disgusted by pay for your meal? Especially if you don't know them? Would you give someone else your money and trust them? Really?
You keep repeating the same litany of events and somehow expect at some point they will coalesce into a story. I will be direct, no amount of re-working of your script will improve it until you can move beyond recounting a series of events. As it stands, none of the characters is likeable or interesting. The events seem farfetched. The behaviors and dialogue are bizarre. If you're a teen writer, you might want to remove the sick man. Just work with the three characters. How can you foil the plot? How can you highlight the well-dressed James from the tattered tramp? How can you make the tramp likeable and James despicable by visible actions and relevant dialogue. What stops James from simply moving himself to another empty table in a vacant restaurant? The person who pays make the decisions, not a waitress who is compliant to get a good tip. I'd move and have. And on occasion have simply left.

When starting to write, it helps to have a clear idea of the plot, characters, and motivations. Write your idea in three to six sentences, the entire story from start to finish. Then write in two or three words about what each character must/will learn. A story is about dynamics and transformation. Then using only two emotion words, what the audience should feel in the beginning and how they should feel at the end of your short. It's an important way of distinguish 'series of events' (what happens) from 'story' (why people do the things that cause events to happen). You have an idea but not a script that tells a story.

It's nice that you mentioned the cons of this script but no pros. And where was the advice? You just repeated what you said before. Plus you gave me no real guidance, I know all about plotting ahead and all that, there are motivations, the characters don't have to be likeable but why would you hate the pickpocketer and the waitress for?

And trust me where I live waitress do do that.

The Waitress doesn't get a tip, where I live nobody ever tips.

James stays because he wants to stay/he has to stay, somebody will think of this as him being a man of order who plays by the rules. You have to think.

The story would be about a man who gets caught doing a crime and a woman helps him, that's a story. The plot is about a man who gets caught doing a crime and a woman helps him because she likes him, that's a plot. Did you ever stop and think about it more deeply instead of fussing over all the little details? They don't matter, it's the whole picture that matters and how could it be far fetched when it's based on a true story? I don't get what you're saying, where's the advice, the tips? You're just being mean now.

And where was the advice? You just repeated what you said before. Plus you gave me no real guidance, I know all about plotting ahead and all that, there are motivations, the characters don't have to be likeable but why would you hate [them].
The advice is that you learn to develop your characters and tell a story (why) not series of events (what). That is a VERY DIFFICULT concept for beginners. Motivations come from within the characters, there not imposed on the characters. A police officer is expected to perform in a certain way. However, the internal factors can cause them to act as expected or differently. This can even be situational. If you label a character as "pickpocket" and make them behave in a stereotypical way, then they become very flat and uninteresting. Main characters have to be interesting which means they have some element that makes the audience relate to them. At least some of the characters have to be likeable or the film becomes low energy, unlikeable, dead.

The story would be about a man who gets caught doing a crime and a woman helps him, that's a story. The plot is about a man who gets caught doing a crime and a woman helps him because she likes him, that's a plot. Did you ever stop and think about it more deeply instead of fussing over all the little details? They don't matter, it's the whole picture that matters and how could it be far fetched when it's based on a true story?
Actually that's not a story. As I mentioned, you keep writing your characters in a very flat, lifeless way. It reads like stick figures running through a series of actions without any emotions. There's no development. And the problem is your writing never really brings out those elements.

As a professional reader/script consultant, I want you to be successful. I can tell you they do matter. Or you could pay another professional to be 'mean' and tell you the truth. You simply don't have a sense of story. Which is why you REALLY need to take some classes or read books on writing. I would suggest again that you read Blake Snyder's "Save the Cat".

So to help you see what I mean, I've re-written the first portion. If I were writing this as a story, I would not have the pickpocket hold a knife on the girl. That's just stupid even if reality. The purpose is to make a story that entertains.

I would then build the story such that it follows a "six act" structure.
PLOT SUMMARY:

Act 1 - Set Up (introduce the characters and situation)
An obnoxious businessman (James) attempts to woo a young waitress (Rosie).

Act 2 - New Situation or Complication
A family friend (Earl/Sick Man) comes in along with a stranger (Rhys). Unfortunately, Earl only aggravates James. Rhys attracts the waitress' interest. Unfortunately, Rhys is also a pickpocket taking Earl's wallet.

Act 3 - Plan of Action to Succeed (throws self in headlong)
Rhys orders a large meal and plans to pay for it with Earl's money. He flirts with Rosie. James feels ill and blames Earl sneezing on his food.

Act 4 - Complications and Higher Stakes (major setback)
Earl offers to pay for him. Unfortunately, Earl realizes his wallet is missing and tries to con James into paying through a ruse.

Act 5 - Final Push to Succeed (suspenseful moment, climax)
Earl is about to leave when James attacks him. Rhys rushes in to separate them with Rosie. Rhys points out that Earl's wallet is under his table and probably fell out earlier. Earl gives James back the money and James leaves (and sneezes).

Act 6 - Resolution and the Ever After
Earl pays for Rhys' dinner despite his objection. Rosie asks to see Rhys again. Rhys leaves and pulls out a wallet which has James' picture and flips through the money.

Objective story: A pickpocket attracts the attention of a waitress.
Subjective story: Two wrongs don't make a right but may get you the girl.

So in each case:
Rhys (Pickpocket): has a soft spot but also survival instincts (starts: conning, ends: attracted)
Earl (Sick Man): hard up for money and willing to connive to survive. (starts: proud, ends: embarrassed)
Rosie (Waitress): has led a hard life and would like something better but can't leave her mum (starts: aloof, ends: attracted)
James (Businessman): germ-a-phobic, pretentious, feels entitled (starts: assured, ends: rejected)

Code:
INT. SMALL BISTRO – DAY

A picture window and door face a display case filled with 
various sandwich meats.  Four small tables barely occupy a
space in a rundown bistro.  A dirty ceiling fan revolves 
overhead with dim lighting.  The kitchen hides behind a 
rusty, squeaky door.

A red-head waitress, ROSIE (early 20s), wipes a creaking 
table with a distant gaze.

The bell rings as the door opens.

Rosie looks up to see JAMES (late 20s) enter.  Smartly 
dressed in his business suit, he saunters to the case and 
waits.

Rosie heaves a sigh, walks over and grabs a menu from 
behind the counter. She leads him over to a central table 
where he sits.

ROSIE
	The usual?

He picks up the menu by the corners and gives a casual 
glance.

JAMES
	My offer stands.  I can’t understand
	why you …

ROSIE
	- so a tuna sandwich with melted
	cheese, no chips and iced tea, no
	ice.

JAMES
	I could show you a good time, if you’d 
	give me a chance.

James hands her the menu then pulls out a disinfectant 
wipe and cleans the tabletop.  Rosie rolls her eyes.

ROSIE
	Look, James, you seem like a –

The bell rings EARL (50s), a rotund man, enters.  His eyes 
and nose are red.  He pauses to pull a hanky from his 
pocket and sneezes.

He waddles over to a table beside James and collapses into 
the chair.

EARL
	‘Ey, Rosie.  Leave it to me wife to 
	gimme ‘er cold.

Rosie walks over.

ROSIE
	Eh, it’s like you to blame the missus
	for everything.  What can I getcha?

He smiles, laughs which breaks into a cough.

EARL
	I think just a hot tea, maybe a kebab,
	And some acetamol.

Rosie smirks and heads back into the kitchen.

EARL
		(to James)
	Ay, you got kids?

James’ nose wrinkles and he shifts to put some distance 
between them.

JAMES
	I have to find the right woman first.

James nods his head towards the kitchen door.

Earl gives a broad grin, nods then bursts into a coughing 
spell.  James shifts with evident disdain.

EARL	
	Rosie’s a tough catch.

The bell rings.

A tall, thin young man with dark features enters.  RHYS 
(mid 20s) walks to the counter.  His clothes are a bit rumpled 
and he has a neckerchief tied about his neck.  He glances 
about warily.

Rosie exits and sets a glass of water on Earl’s table.  Then 
glances up to see Rhys.  She straightens and tidies herself 
a bit before walking over.

RHYS
	It always smells so delicious from the 
	outside. Today I told myself, Rhys, you 
	need to find out what that is.

Rosie looks at him, shakes her head, grabs and menu and 
leads him to a table beside Earl.

ROSIE
	I’ll take your order when –

RHYS
	I’ll have whatever the cook’s making
	that smells so good.

ROSIE
	Well, that would be for dinner.  My mum’s
	making her award winning roast. 

Rhys frowns.  He looks over the menu then gazes up into 
her eyes.

RHYS
	Your mum’s cookin’ is torturin' my taste
        buds.  What would you recommend for a 
        hard workin’, starvin’ man?

Rosie’s face slowly breaks into a smile.

ROSIE
	Well, I would personally –

Earl sneezes violently sending his water spilling.  James 
jumps as sneeze drops land on his table.

Rosie dashes over to get a rag to mop up the spilled water.

James picks up and moves to the farthest table.  He pulls 
out his wipes and begins cleaning his table which rocks and 
creaks.

JAMES
	Rosie, I need a new table.

Rosie glares back at him as she wipes up the water.

RHYS
		(to James)
	You can have mine, ol’ boy.

James nods thanks and moves to Rhys’ table.  Rhys grabs 
a rag and helps dab up the water from Earl’s table and 
pants. Rosie looks over at him.

Rhys shoots a smile, finishes and moves to the new table.  
His eyes follow her.

Rosie glances at Rhys as she leaves with the glass and rag.

Rhys glances down at his lap, unfolds the rag to reveal 
a leather wallet.  Inside is Earl's photo and several pound
notes.

Earl gives a questioning look at Rhys.

EARL
	You work out at Sunderby’s?

Rhys' attention snaps back and focuses on Earl.

RHYS
	Huh?

EARL
	The neckerchief and attire.

RHYS
	Right!  No. My dah worked there for
	many years.  Since passed.

EARL
	Sorry to ‘ear that.

Rosie comes back with a tray and sets it down.  She 
delivers a teacup and teapot to Earl along with a kebab.  
She takes an iced tea over to James.  She sets a small 
plate with bread and a slice of beef in front of Rhys.

Rhys pauses and looks up at her.  Rosie leans in to whisper.

ROSIE
	Mum let me give you a slice of her roast
	to sample.

She stands back and winks.

James watches and his face grows red.

JAMES
	How much longer on my order?

Rosie scowls and looks over.

ROSIE
	It’s up next, James.  I only have two
	hands, you know.

She grabs the tray and returns to the kitchen.

EARL
		(to Rhys)
	I think tha’ girl might be taken a shinin’
	To you.

There are noises from James’ table behind Earl.
etc.

Good luck with your future writing endeavors.

Seriously? FSF goes to great lengths to analyse and suggest ways to improve your work, and all you can take from his free and detailed recommendations is the fact that he mistook one character for another?

NO WAIT! I thought I posted something else under what I had written. I did thank them but I only realized now that it's not up - my internet went away as I wrote it.

What I basically said in that post was I sent my thanks for their guidance and analysis but that I did do a plan like that already, plus I like to plan each page as well. The script that they wrote in what I see is that each character has their own language so to speak which is a good thing. Now I'm not going to be defensive of my script any more since it I would be wasting my breath so what I'll do is suck up and take this guidance since I never had anyone send me something like that. For my actual script right now, I'm going to get rid of it and start afresh, with those notes in mind but do it my way. I don't know how long that will be but I'll take my time with it. On another note, I can't take any classes. I don't have the money and there is none where I'll live. The books I can do so I'll read them when I get my hands on them. This is the best advice I've gotten anyway so THANK YOU VERY MUCH. And I emphasize that, really.

I'm sorry if I may have sounded like a prick in my previous post but I meant to brush that off in the one that followed. But like I said that didn't get posted because of internet troubles and therefore I sound like fussy. I didn't mean to.

Back