• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Removing Reverb From ADR

The ADR came back from the studio we recorded in. It has some reverb.

Are there any tricks or techniques to remove it?

Our star actor from Serbia emailed me text book perfect ADR. Her's is way better than what we got from the studio. The studio stuff we used looks much poorer quality than what I got from Serbia.

You don't have to be that accurate unless you want to be. In fact, it may not be the atmosphere you want at all. It's a different story of you want ambience/room tone for dialog editing, yet the odds of it sounding the same several months later are slim, especially if you are outdoors (winter vs. spring, etc.).

Ambient backgrounds are as much artificial constructs as any other aspect of audio post - or filmmaking in general, for that matter. Granted you need to match the visuals - you can't use hurricane sounds when the trees aren't moving, for example - but you can fill the air with birds, or have a big "empty" (that's actually very hard to do, actually) or whatever else you desire to create the specific sonic atmosphere you want. I've done twenty (20) tracks just to create the ambient/BG I felt a scene required.

Keeping in mind a friend of mine always says, "Choices are an editor's best friend." Maybe I'll take the trip to get the recordings just to have them available. I have like a month to complete my 22 minute pilot pitch to enter for a chance to win.

Back