Remakes, Yea or Nay?

Actaully, so did George Pal, and I love that film. I suspect that all films based on War of the Worlds will reflect Orson Wells' radio broadcast elements, as did that film. With part of the new version filmed in New Jersey, where the invasion started in the radio broadcast, I'm guessing there will plenty of similarities.

Hey DR,

Just saw this. If Ray Harryhausen can give PJ a shot, do you think you can as well?

From an interview plugging his new DVD:

DRE: Did you have a chance to see the Lord of the Rings movies?

RH: Yes I did and if anyone can remake King Kong it’s Peter Jackson because he loves the subject as much as I do. It will be his interpretation of the story.

hmm how cool would a reverce alien movie be.. with the main charachers being aliens getting invaded by humans..... wonder if that has been done??

Shipley,

Ray is personally very much a gentleman. I can say this catagorically. I can also say catagorically that what I also quoted him prior as saying is true, since that's on record, also. He has stated his public opinion on it, and I'll respect his public opinion on it.

Do trust me, not everyone is thrilled about this, and Jim Danforth, Ray's (historically, at least) heir apparent - certainly the second most respected stop motion special effects animator/creator - will be personally boycotting the film. He has said this publically.

Believe me, I'm not the only one deeply troubled by this whole remake business we're awash in, not just for Kong, but others, though Kong is the big one right now, and for many good reasons.

To those who were inspired to follow difficult careers because of Kong but would never have tried to remake it - out of love for the original, *ahem* - and others as well, who regard Kong as still the finest example of the kind of adventure it is (there's alot more cinema going on than special effects) all the expressions of deep effection for Kong by PJ in the world can't compensate for the distasteful sense of gross disrespect. Flip it all around, for a minute: for a man who could do anything he wanted at this point in his career, why do something certain to upset a huge group of movie fans and lifelong professionals? It seems selfish and inconsiderate. Sometimes appearances are decieving. And sometimes they are not.

But I thought we put this to rest, Shipley. Why are you bringing it back up again?

Last edited:
of course

a remake needs to be looked at with alot of consideration on who made the first one. What was the budget? Can you tell the story better? Can your actors make the film better? etc...

Garmon,

"Can you tell the story better?"

This really harkens back to an early part of this thread, in which we all kinda agreed that remaking films most people could agree were never good in the first place was a bit different than remaking classics( but that one could be sticky too, technically, but I personally wouldn't have had a problem with it)

Poke,

*L*, funny, but no.

Yahhh...peace reigns in the land of Indietalk

HEEEYYY, peace doesn't sound this way! Everyone has their opinion on a Kong Remake and I thought y'all agreed with DR's suggestion to wait and see what happens. (yes, and I know how ironic it is for the most argumentative person on the board to call for reason :rolleyes: ...ya just got me on a BAD day I guess ;) )

Last edited:
Back