REMAKES??? AGAIN? I MEAN, AGAIN, AGAIN?!!

I fall into agreement with ROC. I don’t believe budget is
the determining factor of what makes a film “independent”. If a
movie is made outside of the studio system (no money, no
distribution guarantee) then it’s indie. To me, anyway.

So yes, a 10 million dollar film can be an independent films. “The
Passion of the Christ” was budgeted at $25,000,000. No studio
would even look at it. Financed by one person. Just like the
$2,500 and $25,000 movies we all make and finance. I don’t believe
a project becomes a “studio” project (as opposed to an “indie”)
because you get a name actor or spend a lot of money.

The crappy Star Wars films were financed independently from any studio
without any distribution guarantee. Seems to me to be the definition
of independent.

Us low/zero-budget filmmakers already have a term.

And I agreed, in my first (or second?) post I did say there are 20 million independent films (and yes, Star Wars, too). ROC for some reason believed I stated money was the only reason for independent films. Why? Well only he (or she) can explain that.

From the post I'm speaking of --

"Can't they finally drop the term since it's been 10 years since the 90's. I'm sure there are some 20 million dollar independents, but I would say there are just a few without insider influences."

Last edited:
It's really sad that distribution companies has taken a term such as independent and made it their own. I mean, is a 20 million dollar film really an independent? Heck, is a 5 million dollar movie an independent? I would say maybe for the 5 million dollar film but it would really need to follow some criteria.

?

Kind of sounds like you think money is the factor to me.

I actually really don't care and wanted to know what exactly Independent Film really meant.

?

Kind of sounds like you think money is the factor to me.

I actually really don't care and wanted to know what exactly Independent Film really meant.

The assumption, it's been the trouble of so many things.

Most def., I don't want a $100,000 to be bunched in with ROC's 20 million dollar "independent" films.

So when you quote independent, you're still acknowledging the fact they are independent?

I understood that and the comment about wiki and other jabs as being thorns.

I'm thoroughly confused.

Last edited:
Again, please keep it on target or we'll have to remove the thread. Don't want to do that; a lot of good info here.

Whoa, most of the movies you guys posted are adaptions from Novels lol. So, yea. And I agree, movies are still very much alive. Just thought the amount of remakes and reboots and super hero films are at a all time high. Which they are. Slum dog millionair was also a novel as well as No Country for Old men, great book and love the COHEN BROTHERS.

True. Most of them were novels.

I remember reading the novel Desperation by Steven King.

Also, "Intensity" by Dean Koontz.

While reading them I remember thinking they'd make good movies. Then I found out they were made into movies.

Did anyone see either of those movies? Were they any good?

The one remake I want to see is that one movie which had the humongous robots ran by humans - they were like 20 stories high. I seem to remember Jean Claude VanDamm in it or Sylvester Stalone. It was a futuristic movie which had "fight to the death" robots in it. Can't think of the name...

LOL I FOUND IT!!!!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kd642Ix5ks

Well, he SORT of looks like Jean Claude... Listen to that classic Don Lafontaine VO. :lol:

Now, imagine that story with ILM doing the effects.

Last edited:
A independant film is a movie, no matter the budget, that is not produced by a major company. So, A you-tuber is an independnat film maker, as so is dick ROC. I think if you make films, good for you, and you should stay with it. The people who put other film lovers down have got some problems, and should go suck James Camerons Dick. Some of those you tubers could be one of the best writers/directors of the 21st century, but the oppritunity was never given. But whatever.

You still "dial" a phone number, yet I would bet that most of the folks here have never used an old fashioned rotary phone.

Indie films are made independently of the traditional studio system. The term "indie" was coined long, long before the "democratization" of filmmaking made possible by inexpensive digital products. So technically the term indie applies to a film made for $250 or $250 million. It's the terminology that needs to be changed.

No - I don't have a yahoo account. What do I need to do to become a member?

Also, the last Yahoo group I saw which was a production sound group/forum there were all these random adds for p*rn and crap like that amongst the posts. Doesn't seem too savory of a place.

I joined quite a few years ago, so I don't know if the same rules apply. I had to submit a letter stating my experience and why I wanted to join the group; I don't know if that still stands.

Both groups are free of spam and there are some extremely enlightening discussions. Sound_Article_List is dedicated to the creative/artistic aspects of audio post; Sound_Design is dedicated to the more technical aspects - gear, plugs, how-to, etc.

Man, reading this is making my eyes cross :D

Money, I have found, is not the determining factor of 'independent' film. A couple of people have already said it:

A film is independent if it is made OUTSIDE the Hollywood production system. That is why a film like "The Aviator", which cost $100 million to make, can be called an 'independent' film. It has NOTHING to do with the amount of money it took to make it.

Now that we know what 'indie' is, there is what Hollywood calls indie and then there is what we call indie. If you want another term, there is one. Its called Guerilla Filmmaking. That means you get your film made in whatever way you can. You beg and borrow and yeah, you get your stuff on YouTube if you want. Or you can go the film festival circuit. But it doesn't matter where you show your film. Robert Rodriguez says: You are a filmmaker as soon as you decide to tell a story with a camera.

You may not consider a person who puts their stuff on YouTube to be a filmmaker, but you would be wrong. As a filmmaker, you have to get your work out there in anyway you can. YouTube is one way, though you probably won't make much money if that is as far as you want to go. If all you want to do is shoot your stupid friends doing something to get on America's Funniest Videos, then it can be argued if you are a filmmaker or a guy with a camera.

-- spinner :cool:

Here we go again...

Alcove and Spinner has the answer I was looking for. It only took 71 posts to get to it. Thank you.

To reiterate -- we discourage outright attacks on other members. Uranium has already asked twice to straighten out the tone in this thread. Please feel free to make your point, but please don't attack other members in the process.

I joined quite a few years ago, so I don't know if the same rules apply. I had to submit a letter stating my experience and why I wanted to join the group; I don't know if that still stands.

Both groups are free of spam and there are some extremely enlightening discussions. Sound_Article_List is dedicated to the creative/artistic aspects of audio post; Sound_Design is dedicated to the more technical aspects - gear, plugs, how-to, etc.

Cool! I'll check this out. I'd love to see all that great information.

I've been trying to figure out if people were just doing some good natured ribbing or if people were actually growling at each other. Bophe is right, guys. We really don't foster the attitude that some other boards do, where its okay to call each other dumb for example.

On this board, there are no dumb questions or dumb people, just people who don't know as much. If you spend some time here, you will be surprised at the wealth of real information you can find here. I know I don't know as much as some of the people here, we have very knowledgable members who are more than willing to share what they know and you will find that nothing is really the wrong way if you get your project done. If everyone is down on something you say, its not because you are dumb, its because many people have done or seen done what you are doing and we're trying to save you from going down the wrong path, or protect you from a scam.

Lets be nice to each other, okay? Everyone has an opinion :yes:

Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to watch the Ronnie James Dio tribute on VH-1. Later....

-- spinner :cool:

although hollywood is falling on a sword right now, there is more hope now than ever before for adventurous cinema. netflix is a huge revelation right now and independant film makers can rely on sundance (sorta, whenever they're not airing environmental perspective shows) or ifc (why anyone still needs to watch pulp fiction every 2 weeks is beyond me but atleast they are not still humping green day's leg for mnemonic theme music). having access to all of these films that we (im speaking from the perspective of someone who only had access to a crappy blockbuster with a million copies of a new terrible release but no copies of anything worth watching) never could find before makes me not even consider what has been lost in the form of bloated cocaine fueled megamovies. It seems like hollywood has been pumping out the last action hero for the better part of 3 decades by now and we all have the luxury of being able to shut the whole machine off by simply boycotting over priced movie theatres and their derivative offerings but I suppose the problem lies in the audience's apathy to fiind something worth watching. its more likely the case that alot of people dont want to think while watching a film and who can blame them after spending a hundred dollars to bring their family out to a megaplex.

Back